Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
*SCOD July 20, 2010

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 20 2010, 4:36pm

Post #1 of 6 (257 views)
Shortcut
*SCOD July 20, 2010 Can't Post

It may appear that I have fallen off the face of the earth or flushed down a toilet or thrust through a black hole, but in reality I am still here and well. I have occasionally dropped in and checked up on things, but not signing in, in fact my computer has interested me little of late, but I am back now!
So here ya go!

Link to picture

1. What do you think of his expression here? We just saw that Pippin felt somewhat responsible or at least in the debt of the steward because Boromir gave his life to save him and Merry, and therefore pledged allegiance to Denethor. Now Pippin sees what kind of man the steward is and is apparently shocked. Any comment?
2. Now Merry and Pippin are separated and it is time to find out whether or not Pippin can really do anything or if he is just for comic relief, a rather defining point for his character don't you think?
3. Isn't Ngila wonderful? Look at the costumes, I know it may seem a bit random, but I always marvel and the authentic look every costume has, and all the details that go into every persons costume as well as the details that go into proprs and such. (I believe there is a discussion going on now about Pippin's costume see here)
Additional comments?

(Sorry I'm kind of out of it this week, so I'm sorry if this SCOD is somewhat lacking, I'll try to do better for the next one)

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

(This post was edited by aranelthehobbit22 on Jul 20 2010, 4:38pm)

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 20 2010, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 6 (84 views)
Shortcut
The contrast between [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin's very sincere and brave gesture and Denthor's behavior is stark and shocking. The look on Pippin's face is betrayal and innocence lost. I always feel hurt for him - some life lessons are so much harder than others. It also looks like Pippin is wondering what terrible scrape he has managed to get himself into this time!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 20 2010, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 6 (98 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of his expression here?
Pippin: That's the second largest throne I've ever seen.

Now Pippin sees what kind of man the steward is and is apparently shocked.
It's a hard realization that great men often are not so great to be around (and maybe aren't so great after all).

Now Merry and Pippin are separated and it is time to find out whether or not Pippin can really do anything or if he is just for comic relief, a rather defining point for his character don't you think?
Yes. But since the Palentir scene, Pippin has functioned more as a lightning rod for the heart strings.

Isn't Ngila wonderful?
Yes.

Additional comments?
Images can be resized in Paint!

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 20 2010, 10:18pm

Post #4 of 6 (64 views)
Shortcut
there you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back!

On picture posting, I highly recommend Magpie's tutorial on how to post photos on TORn -- directions can be found in one of the stickies at the top of the Movie Board.

But a link like this is just fine, too!

Ok, as for Pippin here...

I love that expression on Billy Boyd's face -- he looks like a kid who just saw his parents kissing, or spotted a teacher doing something un-teacher-like...

In the books, I liked Merry and Pippin better as a team -- but in the films, I liked seeing Pippin come into his own, and Merry struggling a bit to function without his sidekick around to make him look like the smarter one all the time.

Weaver

frederica bolger
Lorien

Jul 20 2010, 11:18pm

Post #5 of 6 (133 views)
Shortcut
poor old Pippin... [In reply to] Can't Post

...between these two terrible old men. I believe he is annoyed with Gandalf who made him look silly by pushing him aside, and then sees an unholy row flare up... perhaps more like a child who sees his parents throw crockery at each other and is absolutely terrified. Of course he is also very shocked about Denethor having played him to his advantage. Hobbit misdemenours seem to be so much more wholesome: trespassing after mushrooms, cabbage pilfering, rutabaga rustling...and getting away with not doing a hard day's work of course!

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Jul 21 2010, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 6 (143 views)
Shortcut
Pippen's Predicament. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What do you think of his expression here? His look almost says "Wait! What just happened?" It's shock but also a bit uncomprehending.
We just saw that Pippin felt somewhat responsible or at least in the debt of the steward because Boromir gave his life to save him and Merry, and therefore pledged allegiance to Denethor. Now Pippin sees what kind of man the steward is and is apparently shocked. Any comment? Poor Pippen is between a rock and a hard place. On one hand is Denethor and the other is Gandalf and from his pledge he has made in complete sincerity he's wedged himself in to the cross fire between these two great men.
2. Now Merry and Pippin are separated and it is time to find out whether or not Pippin can really do anything or if he is just for comic relief, a rather defining point for his character don't you think? Well, every story does need some relief of tension and Pippen's antics have been great for that. I've always liked watching Pippen grow up through our the beginning of ROTK.

Additional comments?
Pippen Rocks! (this of course has nothing to do with the scene but it can never be mentioned to much.)

"The person, be it a gentleman or a lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." Jane Austen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.