Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
I scream, you scream,
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: I scream, you scream,
Vanilla 11 / 12%
French Vanilla 9 / 9%
Chocolate 12 / 13%
Chocolate Ripple 4 / 4%
Strawberry 8 / 8%
Neapolitan ('3-flavor') 4 / 4%
Butterscotch  4 / 4%
Pralines & Cream 2 / 2%
Rocky Road 6 / 6%
Rum Raisin 1 / 1%
Cookie Dough 5 / 5%
Cherry Vanilla 4 / 4%
Coffee (or Mocha) 4 / 4%
Maple Walnut 2 / 2%
Other 14 / 15%
Any flavor, yum! 5 / 5%
Don't like nasssty ice cream 0 / 0%
95 total votes

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 28 2010, 1:06am

Post #51 of 75 (213 views)
Shortcut
To each their own! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have ice-cream we'll have floats and we'll all be happy (and on our way to the gym!) together! Sly

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2010, 4:34am

Post #52 of 75 (284 views)
Shortcut
Moose Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a heavenly concoction of vanilla ice cream, mini peanut butter cups, and swirls of some kind of extra-delicious fudge.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 28 2010, 8:20am

Post #53 of 75 (251 views)
Shortcut
Excuse my ignorance [In reply to] Can't Post

But what on earth is a root beer float? Come to think of it, I don't really know what root beer is either.

When it comes to ice cream in a cone I can never get past my childhood favourite of orange choc-chip. If I am trying to appear rather more adult and sophisticated I go for a good quality vanilla, Kapiti is my favourite.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2010, 11:41am

Post #54 of 75 (212 views)
Shortcut
Sarsaparilla! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the carbonated beverage made from sassafras root.

It can also be uncarbonated: when I was little, my dad would buy a block of the root extract, mix it with water and sugar in a huge tub, and my brothers would bottle it up in empty ginger ale bottles. Uncarbonated, and delicious!

For a root beer float, put a couple scoops of ice cream of your choice in a tall glass, and add root beer to "float" the ice cream.

My Ohioan parents also called this concoction a "black cow", but I suppose only someone from Ohio would know why...Angelic

diedye
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2010, 1:41pm

Post #55 of 75 (211 views)
Shortcut
Heavenly Hash... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yum!

But my local supermarket no longer carries it... *pout*

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 28 2010, 5:27pm

Post #56 of 75 (194 views)
Shortcut
Gotta love that place. And waffle cones. // [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 28 2010, 10:50pm

Post #57 of 75 (204 views)
Shortcut
More on root beer.... [In reply to] Can't Post

From wiki, but quite accurate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2010, 10:53pm

Post #58 of 75 (200 views)
Shortcut
I thought a black cow [In reply to] Can't Post

was a root beer float with chocolate ice cream ...or maybe that was a brown cow

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 28 2010, 10:57pm

Post #59 of 75 (203 views)
Shortcut
Brown and black cows... [In reply to] Can't Post

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (January 2008) "Floats" redirects here. For the Dr Pepper brand bottled beverage line, see Floats (drink). "Black Cow" redirects here. For the Steely Dan song, see Aja (album). Soda jerk passing ice cream soda between two soda fountains
The ice cream soda, float (United Kingdom, Canada, United States and East Asia), spider (Australia and New Zealand), brown cow (Hong Kong) or black cow (Brazil) is a beverage that consists of one or more scoops of ice cream in either a soft drink or a mixture of flavored syrup and carbonated water In the United Kingdom cream soda was named that as it was traditionally served with a dollop of ice cream floating in it making ice cream soda. The tiny bubbles of air present in the soda cause the ice cream to float and are nucleation sites for the formation of large bubbles of carbon dioxide. This gives the beverage a "foamy head" similar to a beer head. [citation needed] Contents[hide] [edit] Origins
The ice cream soda was invented by Robert M. Green in Philadelphia, PA, in 1874[1] during the sesquicentennial celebration. The traditional story is that, on a particularly hot day, Mr. Green ran out of ice for the flavored sodas he was selling and used vanilla ice cream from a neighboring vendor to keep his sodas cold. His own account, published in Soda Fountain magazine in 1910, states that while operating a soda fountain at the Franklin Institute's sesquicentennial celebration in Philadelphia in 1874, he wanted to create a new treat to attract customers away from another vendor who had a fancier, bigger soda fountain. After some experimenting, he decided to combine ice cream and soda water. During the celebration, he sold vanilla ice cream with soda water and a choice of 16 different flavored syrups. The new treat was a sensation, and soon other soda fountains began selling ice cream sodas. Green's will instructed that "Originator of the Ice Cream Soda" was to be engraved on his tombstone.[2]
There are at least two other claimants for the invention of ice cream soda: Fred Sanders and Philip Mohr.[3] Regardless of its origins, the beverage quickly became very popular, to such a degree that it was almost socially obligatory among teens, although many adults abhorred it. According to legend it was banned, either entirely or on holy days, by some local governments giving rise to a substitute treat the ice cream sundae. As soda was marketed as a miracle cure, it was often considered a substance that required oversight and control like alcohol, another controlled substance that could not be served or purchased on Sundays in many conservative areas. Many soda fountains had to figure out a way to turn a profit on Sundays when selling soda was considered illegal. The solution was to serve ice cream on these days, as it is merely a food product and not a controlled substance. Soda fountains then coined the term "Sundaes" for the ice cream concoctions that they served on "soda's day of rest". [edit] Variations
Variations of the ice cream soda are as countless as the varieties of soda and flavors of ice cream, but some have become more prominent over the years than others. Sometimes, people who are allergic to milk use sherbet instead of ice cream. [edit] Chocolate Ice Cream Soda
This ice cream soda starts with approximately one ounce of chocolate syrup, then several scoops of vanilla ice cream in a tall glass. Unflavored carbonated water is added until the glass is filled and the resulting foam rises above the top of the glass. The final touch is a topping of whipped cream and usually, a maraschino cherry. This variation of ice cream soda was available at local soda fountains and nationally, at Dairy Queen stores for many years. [edit] Root beer float Root beer float, a type of ice cream soda.
Also known as a "black cow"[4] or "brown cow",[5][6] the root beer float is traditionally made with vanilla ice cream and beer, but can also be made with other flavors.
In the United States and Canada, the chain A&W Restaurants are well known for their root beer floats. The definition of a black cow varies by region. For instance in some localities, a "root beer float" has strictly vanilla ice cream; a float made with root beer and chocolate ice cream is a "chocolate cow" or a "brown cow."
In 2008, the Dr Pepper Snapple Group introduced its Float beverage line. This includes A&W Root Beer, A&W Cream Soda and Sunkist flavors which attempt to simulate the taste of their respective ice cream float flavors in a creamy, bottled drink.
The origin of the name "black cow" has always been of interest to food and beverage experts and allegedly dates to August 1893[7] in Cripple Creek, Colorado. The only source of this story is the great grand nephew of Wisner, who has popularized it through advertising on his soft drink products and website.[8][unreliable source?] Frank J. Wisner, owner of the Cripple Creek Cow Mountain Gold Mining Company had been producing a line of naturally flavored, naturally carbonated premium soda waters for the citizens of the then booming Cripple Creek gold mining district. He had been trying to create a special drink for the children of Cripple Creek and came up with an idea while staring out at his properties on Cow Mountain on a moonlit night. The full moon's glow on the snow capped Cow Mountain reminded him of a dollop of vanilla ice cream floating on top of his blackened Cow Mountain. As he told the story later, he was inspired by this view to hurry back to his bar and add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to the one soda water he produced that the children of Cripple Creek seemed to like best - Myers Avenue Red root beer - and served it the very next day. The drink was an instant hit. Originally named "Black Cow Mountain", the local children shortened this to "black cow".[7] Wisner was known to say many times in his later years that if he had a nickel for every time someone ordered a black cow, he'd have been a rich man.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 3:30am

Post #60 of 75 (216 views)
Shortcut
Rum Raisin, Food of the Gods. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hate rum as or in any sort of drink!Crazy All the vanillas and maple walnuts and such are also extremely yummy. Oddly enough, peppermint used to be a fave, during my teens.

I propose a thread--or sub thread--of made up flavors, either creative and edible, or outrageous and horrific AngelicEvil like the one I proposed in the post mentioned . . . "mushroom vanilla bean espresso"!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 3:36am

Post #61 of 75 (203 views)
Shortcut
I've heard (herd) it called that, too, in Nebraska-- [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe it's an alternate Midwestern lingo thingy??

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 3:39am

Post #62 of 75 (197 views)
Shortcut
I know someone who got run over by a moose [In reply to] Can't Post

in his back yard. He went to the same music camp I went to in Colorado--but the event happened in Anchorage where he hailed from (he didn't die--it did--but he had some major cracked ribs I believe . . .). Maybe the ice cream is his revenge invention?Sly

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 29 2010, 7:43am

Post #63 of 75 (184 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I vaguely remember tasting sarsaparilla a long time ago and saying ew! Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 29 2010, 7:47am

Post #64 of 75 (193 views)
Shortcut
So the 'float' [In reply to] Can't Post

is what we call a 'spider' here. Fizzy drinks and ice-cream together has never held any appeal to me, I much prefer them separately.

In my younger days we used to laugh hysterically at any TV mention of 'root' beer, or people saying they were 'rooting' for someone to win a game. The word holds an entirely different meaning where I come from. Blush

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 29 2010, 7:49am

Post #65 of 75 (249 views)
Shortcut
Except we call it [In reply to] Can't Post

The hokey-Tokey here!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 12:13pm

Post #66 of 75 (201 views)
Shortcut
There is a drink called sarsparilla that's a slightly different formula than root beer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite as tasty to my palate but then by then I'd long been conditioned to root beer. It should also be noted that some like a very sweet root beer, such as A & W's or Henry Weinhard's, while others prefer a sharper-spiced root beer, such as Barrelhead (the old recipe) or some of the 'micro-brew' root beers. I'm normally in the sharper-spiced camp, but anyone who hasn't tried one owes themselves a Henry Weinhard's. The recipe uses honey instead of sugar to sweeten it and it is EXCELLENT!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 12:16pm

Post #67 of 75 (196 views)
Shortcut
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that meaning is here as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

But like so many words in English it just depends upon the context of how it's used as to what it means at that moment.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 12:18pm

Post #68 of 75 (296 views)
Shortcut
So you would be a fan of a ngaan milkshake then? [In reply to] Can't Post

ngaan is invented by author John M. Ford for his novel "How Much for Just the Planet"? which I highly recommend to any Star Trek fan. Hilarious.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 30 2010, 12:16am

Post #69 of 75 (202 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like it's from Africa and Finland at the same time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to get a copy of that book (does he include recipes?Wink)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 30 2010, 12:19am

Post #70 of 75 (208 views)
Shortcut
Sadly no and Mr Ford passed away a few years ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad. He had a very "fresh" approach to the ST novel.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 6 2010, 1:15am

Post #71 of 75 (177 views)
Shortcut
homemade vanilla [In reply to] Can't Post

nothing better. Although Haagen-Dazs vanilla comes close.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2010, 2:23am

Post #72 of 75 (756 views)
Shortcut
ah... homemade ice cream [In reply to] Can't Post

my favorite is strawberry made with freshly picked strawberries, and it's that time of year now Smile

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 10 2010, 5:54am

Post #73 of 75 (786 views)
Shortcut
In general, cookie dough; [In reply to] Can't Post

but for floats (or shakes, for that matter) I have to go with vanilla. I simply don't like chocolate in them and I can't imagine having chunks of cookie dough floating in a drink. Crazy

Zizix
Rivendell

Sep 14 2010, 10:51pm

Post #74 of 75 (127 views)
Shortcut
Blackcurrants [In reply to] Can't Post

And is it just me or does butterscotch sound like something you'd find in a toilet?

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2010, 1:18pm

Post #75 of 75 (312 views)
Shortcut
hard to find in the States // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.