Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Opens doors wide* Friday means Fiesta and Fun! Come on in!
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 28 2010, 4:50pm

Post #276 of 300 (910 views)
Shortcut
So the Vikings eventually went to using airships! [In reply to] Can't Post

" . . . old Arab coins near the Stockholm airport . . . " Wink

It all sounds so yummy! I are drooling.

I saw Kel's thread, but my ancestors seem to have avoided trouble, or avoided telling anyone about it. There's one I'm just plain ashamed of--a captain for the south on my Grandmother's side in the civil war who after it was over, still managed to bring 2 two "slaves" back with him to the homestead (great-grandpa, but I can't forgive that.) It is sort of counterbalanced by a great-great grandpa, also on that side of the family, but on my Grandfather's, who was the first anti-slavery candidate (on the Lincoln ticket) in the state of Wisconsin. He was an irascible old coot, once caused a church split (not over religion, I believe, but of some sort of town governance issue, as he was not a minister) and may have dis-inherited my great-grandfather on that branch for reasons unknown (his 3rd son): but he had at east one thing right! (But he lost the election. Frown)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 28 2010, 4:57pm

Post #277 of 300 (913 views)
Shortcut
Good for Grandma Jessie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does your family still have any of the old medical implements she used around somewhere?

Wow, what a great story! Apparently Old George wasn't really that bad--just out of touch with the real nature of the colonies, and poorly advised, like Ethelred the Unready, which apparently in the English of the times meant "ill-advised" more than it meant "twiddling his thumbs" ). So we may have Gandy the First right here on our message boards! (Can I be the court musician?)Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2010, 9:13pm

Post #278 of 300 (912 views)
Shortcut
Hm...how about this story? [In reply to] Can't Post

I went looking for that particular cousin, and came across this page...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 28 2010, 11:22pm

Post #279 of 300 (909 views)
Shortcut
It took this trip to find her medical license... [In reply to] Can't Post

Artifacts, I presume, are either lost to antiquity or else for another treasure hunt another time.

Well, it's only unsubtantiated at the moment and very tough to prove as most "documentation" would have been sealed or destroyed. But it's a fun tale regardless of whether it's true or not (making it a fine Irish thing! Wink )

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 28 2010, 11:24pm

Post #280 of 300 (906 views)
Shortcut
Nope, but I'm gonna check it out when I'm done with thread I'm already entangled with! ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 12:51am

Post #281 of 300 (922 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's one thing to call it "an excerpt", and another to not acknowledge that there's been even the slightest bit of editing *shakes head*. Yeah, that's one of the old published versions of the story kids in the region grew up with.
One of the naysayers rebuttals is here.
And neither one mentions the Colonel William Denning wrought iron cannons-Brandywine-Tower of London claim! =)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2010, 1:54am

Post #282 of 300 (902 views)
Shortcut
Thought that would [In reply to] Can't Post

bring out a better version of the story! Laugh

It's amazing, how legends get created...Paul Bunyan of the forge, eh?

What has been intriguing me about this story, is a bit of my own family history which turned out to be quite faux. My mother's mother was always insisting that they were descended from Robert Burns, but don't tell anyone, he was such a terrible drunkard!

Well, I found out that my Burns ancestor who emigrated to this country was born in 1778, and his parents were Ulster Scots, so if there were any relation to the poet it would have to be distant. The names are similar to ones in your story: James Burns ended up marrying Mary Morrow (who was born at Carlisle Barracks after the war ended).

But Scots and Ulster Scots being as prolific as they were, there were probably scads of Burns/Burness/Bournes and Morrows all over Pennsylvania!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 29 2010, 3:57am

Post #283 of 300 (934 views)
Shortcut
Should I be insulted? (Heh!) ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

My great grandfather (Dad's side) was Irish. But my great-grandmother was Scottish. My mom's mom was Welsh. There may even be Breton French. (Mixed Celt anyone?)

(Brian Sykes says we're all the same anyway. [Hope I didn't just start a war somewhereShockedShocked]).

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 4:20pm

Post #284 of 300 (912 views)
Shortcut
Nope, I got Irish blood in me as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

American MUTT, I am!

<as we're still in the Fiesta Friday bar, drops a dime and plays "The Orange and the Green"> Laugh

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 5:00pm

Post #285 of 300 (899 views)
Shortcut
Nah, if ya wanna offend [In reply to] Can't Post

ya gotta do the "You know why the Irish drink?" joke. I could tell it, but I'd have to issue a disclaimer first...and there'd be another joke in that! ;)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 29 2010, 7:17pm

Post #286 of 300 (918 views)
Shortcut
T'keep 'em from takin' OVER THE WORLD!// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 30 2010, 1:15am

Post #287 of 300 (874 views)
Shortcut
Nope, not even close. // [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 30 2010, 3:46am

Post #288 of 300 (896 views)
Shortcut
To qvote an ancient cartoon, "Well, that's the way I heard it!"// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 30 2010, 4:02am

Post #289 of 300 (879 views)
Shortcut
You were inattentive. [In reply to] Can't Post

The key word was offend, so your punchline can't be the same one. ;)
That's all, admins! =)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 30 2010, 4:04am

Post #290 of 300 (914 views)
Shortcut
I caught the word, but chose the LEAST offensive of the choices... [In reply to] Can't Post

But you're probably right, I likely don't know the worst of 'em.

sample

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jun 30 2010, 11:58pm

Post #291 of 300 (984 views)
Shortcut
I believe that epi was nominated [In reply to] Can't Post

for some kind of emmy or some such thing. A lot of geeks claim it as a favorite - it is one of mine definitely. (Yes I am - a geek)

I think I agree that part of the charm was that Stewart wasn't necessarily Picard for most of the episode. While a ST captain I'd follow to the gates of Hell, he isn't my favorite.

I've been scarce as all three of our compies at home died simultaneously. We are thinking maybe lightning - what are the odds of all of them going bonk at once? We had to hook up ol' Bessie (the desktop) again to get back on the www!

Think I'll pour meself a nice redwine and just breathe a little while before I move on - before I know it it will be Friday again already!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 1 2010, 1:43am

Post #292 of 300 (887 views)
Shortcut
Three at once? [In reply to] Can't Post

That does sound like some sort of surge in the electric wiring. Were any of them on surge suppressors? And were all three laptops? That is strange indeed! Unsure Can they be fixed?

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 1 2010, 1:53pm

Post #293 of 300 (876 views)
Shortcut
I know - what are the chances? [In reply to] Can't Post

two of the three are always on surge protectors and the third - our son's - well who ever knows? His is a Toshiba and is already home - according to the techies at BestBuy's geek squad it got a virus. I'm not so sure but he does go places the mother of a young adult doesn't ask about. What the heck is RobotChicken Adult Swim anyway?

Meanwhile the Mac Laptops - lappy and compy are still at the Mac Store waiting to be picked up - they said it was batteries and the cords but no damage to the laptops themselves. The cure - batteries and new adaptor power cords are less than our home ins pol deductible so we are just going to count our blessings it waas not more expensive and keep an eye out for other electrical devices to go bad. The tech said to watch for a cascade effect. We did lose our microwave oven at about the same time too, but we were in such a panic over the computers we just went out and got a cheap microwave and spent a lot more energy angsting over the computers. Teh Interwebs over food. How far we have fallen!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 1 2010, 4:41pm

Post #294 of 300 (913 views)
Shortcut
Adult Swim [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the name that one of the TV channels gives to their "grown-up" cartoon selection at night. My (adult) son says they're not "too adult", just for more mature audiences than little kids.

Don't fret about paying more attention to the computers than the microwave: an oven can be replaced - but some of your data, especially pictures, cannot!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 1 2010, 10:48pm

Post #295 of 300 (871 views)
Shortcut
Which is your favourite Capt? [In reply to] Can't Post

And if you'd follow Jean-Luc to the gates then what difference, really, is there betwixt him and a fave?

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2010, 2:21am

Post #296 of 300 (874 views)
Shortcut
OWWW!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a pretty good AIM, y'go' there LASSIE! Pirate

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 2 2010, 4:09am

Post #297 of 300 (872 views)
Shortcut
Sooo, if you felt *that* one even before it happened... ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2010, 4:11am

Post #298 of 300 (880 views)
Shortcut
Nuh-UHHH! You said I'd get whapped on my way by and that's the post I felt it! ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 2 2010, 3:20pm

Post #299 of 300 (865 views)
Shortcut
pix definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do insurance - when there are large losses people mostly talk about the lost photos! We've seen people have complete losees - whole houses sucked up by tornadoes and fires and they realize it's the family photos that were most valued. I have to find a good photobucket type place to store mine!

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 2 2010, 3:23pm

Post #300 of 300 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Captain Spock of course!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

He would have rocked as captain but we saw little of that in CANON but there is lot's o' wunnerful stuff about that in the lit!

My next fav is Janeway - she's mah guuurrl!

This is NOT to say I prefer any of the franchises over the others, with the exception of TOS; without with all the others would not exist. I even loved Enterprise - the re-heade stepchild so maligned and unloved . . . Pirate

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.