Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: June 8, 2010
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 11 2010, 6:01pm

Post #26 of 35 (91 views)
Shortcut
Umm . . .could you say that again in Uralic? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry--I'll get it eventually!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2010, 6:06pm

Post #27 of 35 (88 views)
Shortcut
I can smack my keyboard and pretend it's Uralic // [In reply to] Can't Post

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 11 2010, 8:40pm

Post #28 of 35 (116 views)
Shortcut
It seems I'm not needed for help [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't actually tried the links when I linked to it. I first visited that site years ago and had quite a few of those tunes downloaded to listen to. The last time I accessed that site, you did not get that Google page thingie... That was odd. But one thing I'll do when I'm not sure something is opening is to right click and chose 'save file as'. Then I should get a pop up window saying, 'where?' and 'what should we call it?'.

And then I can use Firefox > Tools > Download to monitor the progress.

If you have your browser set to automatically play certain files with a certain piece of software and not to bother asking you what you want to do, it's possible the browser is downloading the file and taking a long time to do it but you don't realize it's downloading (did that make any sense). I had bookmarked a certain Russian site that had a lot of obscure Tolkien inspired music on it that routinely took up to an hour to download a 3 minute music file. Without the Download Manager of Firefox to monitor, I'd have no way of knowing what was going on.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 11 2010, 8:51pm

Post #29 of 35 (95 views)
Shortcut
clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

The two areas on your website, Magpie, that sound like this are the first and last from "Hallingdal" and the first 2 from "Numedal"

I'm not sure if it was just the way you phrased it but I wanted to be clear that website (with all the Hardanger samples) is not *my* website. But maybe by "your" you meant "the website you linked to".

I am familiar with Bartok but I'm not a huge fan of a lot of his work.

I also know the name Kodaly from a method of teaching the music teacher in the school I worked at used. But beyond that, your post flew way over my head.

I did get the point about similarities, however. I am fond of finding these in literature.I used to read children's literature in classrooms and was fond of folk tales and legends. It's amazing how many similarities can be found from cultures seemingly quite distant or distinct from one another.

Here's another page offering downloads at that site. They may be the same samples or different ones, I'm not sure.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 11 2010, 8:58pm

Post #30 of 35 (121 views)
Shortcut
I suspect the acrobatics [In reply to] Can't Post

are a way of showing off. It's not unusual for opportunities for showing off to be worked into folk dances. And keep in mind, for many cultures/time periods, folk dancing was an opportunity for young people to mingle freely with the opposite gender. So a young man would surely have lots of lasses to admire his acrobatics.

But I can't say that's what's happening in this style (called Springar)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 12:33am

Post #31 of 35 (83 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I wonder if that's what's been happpening- [In reply to] Can't Post

but at least Camino works, and is free! Thanks for answering--all good ideas.Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 12:48am

Post #32 of 35 (105 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I meant "the one you had a link to." Picking Cherries all day [In reply to] Can't Post

has gone to my headCrazy

I didn't mean to be confusing--you have so much information at your finger tips, I just wondered if you or somone else here knew if those areas of Norway had any --probably pretty old (pre-18th century)--connection with Eastern Europe. The music is just too similar (just in those 4 instances) to not have some connection--at least in my "non-musicologist" opinion (those intrepid souls would put any linguist to shame, they way they live out their lives in music libraries, analyzing, comparing and theorizing!). I just thought it was cool to the point of goosebumps to hear the same "language" being (to my ear) virtually identical in some spots to that from a completely different area. It was as if someone came upon a tribe of ancient Chinese-language speakers in the middle of Latvia!Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 2:10am

Post #33 of 35 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I meant "the one you had a link to." Picking Cherries all day [In reply to] Can't Post

has gone to my headCrazy

I didn't mean to be confusing--you have so much information at your finger tips, I just wondered if you or someone else here knew if those areas of Norway had any --probably pretty old (pre-18th century)--connection with Eastern Europe. The music is just too similar (just in those 4 instances) to not have some connection--at least in my "non-musicologist" opinion (those intrepid souls would put any linguist to shame, they way they live out their lives in music libraries, analyzing, comparing and theorizing!). I just thought it was cool to the point of goosebumps to hear the same "language" being (to my ear) virtually identical in some spots to that from a completely different area. It was as if someone came upon a tribe of ancient Chinese-language speakers in the middle of Latvia!Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 2:14am

Post #34 of 35 (98 views)
Shortcut
Sorry! I did mean the website you had a link to. Picking cherries most of the day [In reply to] Can't Post

has gone to my headCrazy

I didn't mean to be confusing--you have so much information at your finger tips, I just wondered if you or someone else here knew if those areas of Norway had any --probably pretty old (pre-18th century)--connection with Eastern Europe. The music is just too similar (just in those 4 instances) to not have some connection--at least in my "non-musicologist" opinion (those intrepid souls would put any linguist to shame, they way they live out their lives in music libraries, analyzing, comparing and theorizing!). I just thought it was cool to the point of goosebumps to hear the same "language" being (to my ear) virtually identical in some spots to that from a completely different area. It was as if someone came upon a tribe of ancient Chinese-language speakers in the middle of Latvia!Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 10:45pm

Post #35 of 35 (156 views)
Shortcut
Hard to believe [In reply to] Can't Post

this backdrop is real. The plains leading up to that sudden mountain range are just incredible. Mr. Loresilme is is not a fantasy fan, so he's only watched the films with me occasionally, but there are three specific things about them that he enjoys: the miniature/bigature work, the Ents march on Isengard, and the scenery of New Zealand. This is a beautiful shot.
  1. Edoras obviously took a lot of work, what do you think about it? It's such a shame that it all had to be taken down afterward. Any comments on the building of Edoras?
    It reminds me of the monks who create those beautiful sand drawings and then let them be destroyed by rain and water.
  2. The wind and cold seems to reflect Eowyn's sorrow, any thoughts?
    iirc, there are a few scenes where Eowyn comes to this spot? It's like when you've got one of those special places you go to, when you need to clear your head, calm down, heal yourself. Where when you get there, you're able to just take a deep breath and get centered. There are places like that, that are the equivalent of splashing cold water on your face. This seems to be Eowyn's special place.

Lovely screencap, thank you!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.