Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
**FD - Slowly the door opens
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2010, 1:53am

Post #51 of 71 (171 views)
Shortcut
Dark here too please :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

~TORnado Babies~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Apr 27 2010, 3:35am

Post #52 of 71 (152 views)
Shortcut
Love the speech, [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm a mathom house that is quite cool. It'll be exciting to see what interesting information it will soon contain.

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2010, 3:55am

Post #53 of 71 (139 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful speech! Thank you, Rosie! / [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

_Arwen_
The Shire

Apr 27 2010, 4:22am

Post #54 of 71 (141 views)
Shortcut
Cracking speech [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely idea, favourited Smile

Tehanu
PTB

Apr 27 2010, 9:31am

Post #55 of 71 (190 views)
Shortcut
Amazing!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is JUST what we've been needing for the longest time! I don't know how to even begin to thank you all on the committee that have worked on this. What a great idea! Long may it flourish!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2010, 12:33pm

Post #56 of 71 (133 views)
Shortcut
BOTH! and in ICE CREAM!! :D *slaver, slurp* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample
What a GREAT DAY!!!

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 27 2010, 2:19pm

Post #57 of 71 (126 views)
Shortcut
Both and Ice Cream - it's a party now!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoohoo! and champagne - who's driving the big ol' motorhome o' fun home?

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2010, 3:18pm

Post #58 of 71 (124 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I did say good night and disappeared a couple hours to the magical world of dreams. I hope that counts Wink.

And if I did return with jewels. They would all be mine, my owns, my preciouses.

Glad you liked it. Hope you had fun on Founders Day.

sample

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2010, 3:59pm

Post #59 of 71 (124 views)
Shortcut
And lets hear it for [In reply to] Can't Post

children and grandchildren and great grandchildren, nieces and nephews, neighbour kids and all the rest that will follow us. Hopefully we can keep on inspiring those that are new to Middle-earth and the world of Tolkien and share with them the joy and marvels we had in years gone by.

And I'll be at the tip of my seat when (finally) real Hobbit news trickles in. Although I'm already really thrilled with the recent pictures of Matamata/Hobbiton. They really look promising.

Great you stopped by. And maybe we can borrow some of your knowledge from the past to put into the Mathom-house.

sample

Patty
Immortal

Apr 27 2010, 4:18pm

Post #60 of 71 (126 views)
Shortcut
This is so COOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could never have dreamed when I started posting here sooo many years ago that I'd still be here after all this time and that TORN would become about so much more than just our mutual excitement about the upcoming movies. TORN celebrates a special kind of friendship probably nearly unique across the internet. Thank you guys--everyone here--for so much fun!

Permanent address: Into the West

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 27 2010, 7:17pm

Post #61 of 71 (111 views)
Shortcut
But sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only one bottle of wine and 2 glasses? With a wonderful place such as that, I should say for you to expect a THRONG! Wink

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 27 2010, 7:25pm

Post #62 of 71 (114 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen... [In reply to] Can't Post

But you appear to be forgetting that The Sil could make anywhere from three to five movies all by itself. Roverandom would make a great kiddie-flick. I'd pay to see Smith of Wooton Major and I suspect so would many. I'd pay to see Tolkien's rendering of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. True, I do not expect to see many of these, at least not for years, but the material is there if we clamour for it loudly enough they'll make 'em!

sample

ShyElf
Lorien

Apr 27 2010, 7:57pm

Post #63 of 71 (115 views)
Shortcut
So exciting!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic Rosie! Loved your post, and loved Mathom-house! I've favorited it and I'll check back often!

Cheers!

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 27 2010, 8:51pm

Post #64 of 71 (110 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait until we get to see all the content! Awesome job, you guys!

Patty
Immortal

Apr 27 2010, 9:17pm

Post #65 of 71 (131 views)
Shortcut
Me, I'd like to see movies made from... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smith of Wooton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham. However, until that time, the dramatization included in "Tales from the Perilous Realm", brought to audio book by Brian Sibley are fantastic placeholders.

Permanent address: Into the West

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2010, 1:05am

Post #66 of 71 (145 views)
Shortcut
How exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a wonderful idea and I can't wait to see what it grows into. I'd love to help wherever I can.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 28 2010, 8:08pm

Post #67 of 71 (98 views)
Shortcut
OOOHHHHH! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank yer, Miss Patty! <Adds new 'preciousss' to his list!>

sample

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2010, 1:48pm

Post #68 of 71 (115 views)
Shortcut
Get a glimpse at an Article in development! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it might be useful for you all to watch an article in development.. ('Article' is what a wiki calls a page of information)

Let's do Founders Day 2010!

weaver and gramma were the co-chairs of this years planning committee for Founders Day. The week before FD, gramma sent an email to the people volunteering to help with the days events. It occurred to me that this nicely done outline was perfect for providing some structure and projected goals for an article on Founders Day 2010. Since a wiki is particularly good for successive editing by many people, I merely copied the information from the email and put it in Article.

I thought it would be useful to track the process we were using to develop an article so we documented 'moments in time' when we did the Embassy Theatre Seat Funding Article. I'm going to do the same for Founders Day 2010 and let you all watch as we do it.

So, the first Research Process Step for Founders Day 2010 can be seen here.

Now, one we could get philosophical or practical.

Philosophical:
  • How does documenting the events of Founders Day 2010 matter?
  • Will anyone, next week, next year, or in the next decade want to know or care?
  • Who might want to know or care?
  • How can answering these questions help us determine what information should go in an Article about Founders Day 2010?
It might be helpful, if one hasn't yet, to look over two pages on the wiki.

I think we often take some of this stuff for granted and that's okay to a point. (We can't wax philosophical every time we go to the grocery store) But it is important to do a consistent monitoring of one's intentions and actions. It can keep us from spending time and energy on things that don't help us meet our project goals and it can help us focus more directly on meeting those goals. And I think sometimes we just need to be reminded of why we do what we do.

Practical:

The next steps, as I see it (and everyone will approach how they develop information differently), is to:
(keeping in mind some of that philosophical stuff we talked about a moment ago)
  • determine the actual name of each thread made for Founders Day 2010 and create a link to those threads
  • create a link to the Home Page announcement of Founders Day'
  • perhaps make a note on how the organization of this event took place and how it differed (if at all) from last years
  • create and link to an online album of images associated with this event, namely countdown footers
  • Find someone involved in the Barliman's celebration and ask for their help in collecting information on that facet of the event
  • ???__________________

You are watching over our shoulder as this Article gets developed (I've become a firm believer in modeling as a teaching tool). But keep in mind, all future articles will be developed by the TORn Community. What has been done to date has been done by the Steering Committee and some brave wiki betatesters. For this project to be viable, we will need help. Lots of help.

I'm going to talk more about what kind of help we need and how each person - no matter what skills or time commitment they can offer - *can* help. But that will come later. Right now. Just peer over our shoulder and let yourself get just a bit excited at everything we can accomplish.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 29 2010, 6:20pm

Post #69 of 71 (94 views)
Shortcut
I'm excited! I'm SOOOO excited!// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2010, 11:28pm

Post #70 of 71 (98 views)
Shortcut
Founders Day article : Step 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a snapshot of Step 2 in the development of a Mathom-house wiki article on FD-2010
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ResearchProcessStep2

I converted each entry itemizing a planned post into a link to the actual post with the final name. I also did some formatting of the information, trying to imagine how the info would be broken into subject areas.

For the planning section of the page, I put down some items I thought could be covered and then contacted the two co-chairs of the event, grammaboodawg and weaver, asking them to flesh out this section and make suggestions about what else was needed and/or what changes they would suggest in the organization of the information.

I also asked them to either contact or facilitate contact with someone on the FD committee involved with the Barliman's celebration of FD and ask for their help in developing a section on this page about Barliman's.

At this point, I - a person with general knowledge on FD-2010 - have done what I can. Now we need more specialized knowledge so I've passed the torch, so to speak, to those who can get that next step done. The page is still in very rough shape. I think some reorganization of info is needed. We might rename some sections. We certainly need more information. But it doesn't have to be done all at once. We're just taking it one step at a time.

When they get a chance to do that, we can see what else needs to be done. We might ask someone to help with coding and formatting... or checking the need for citations... or editing the text in some way. You might start to see how easy it is for various people with different sets of knowledge and skills and time commitments to collaborate right on the page.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

weaver
Half-elven

May 4 2010, 12:39am

Post #71 of 71 (158 views)
Shortcut
hey, that looks pretty cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am just coming up for air after FD and then big work things to do ..but look forward to helping tell this part of the story for the Mathom-house. Thanks!

Weaver

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.