Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
‘**FD: A Founder’s (Day), Administrators and TORnsib Friendship Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 28 2010, 7:09pm

Post #76 of 89 (112 views)
Shortcut
Well, Curious, [In reply to] Can't Post

I, for one, am glad you're here.

I've noticed your absence, even though I'm mostly a lurker in the RR. I'm glad you're doing well.

Have you tried Catholic Answers Forums in your quest to discuss the Bible as literature? There are a lot of smart folks there. Maybe they'd be interested in something like that. I think it's a fresh idea. I've only ever used those forums to ask a question, but maybe it would be a place to start. You don't have to be a Catholic, either. Good luck!

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 28 2010, 7:25pm

Post #77 of 89 (81 views)
Shortcut
<Flying tackle hug> [In reply to] Can't Post

GRAMMAAAAA!!! What a COOL story! (Like so MANY posted here!) <Raises pint> Cheers!

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 28 2010, 7:33pm

Post #78 of 89 (84 views)
Shortcut
Much belated... [In reply to] Can't Post

But no less heart-felt condolences on the passing of your father-in-law, Kimi. I've had my share of losses in my life and they never do get easier to bear with the number of them nor years passed. {{{{Kimi}}}}

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 28 2010, 7:40pm

Post #79 of 89 (104 views)
Shortcut
I think TORNn saved my marriage! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's only so much talk about Tolkien a spouse who's less passionate about it can do -- so he was pretty happy I found this place.

Thanks for stopping by to join in...hope you'll always come back for Founders Days (April 26, every year!), and between times as the spirit moves you. It will always be nice to see you here!

Weaver

sample

(This post was edited by weaver on Apr 28 2010, 7:41pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2010, 8:41pm

Post #80 of 89 (78 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your kindness. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 28 2010, 9:14pm

Post #81 of 89 (91 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'll check out Catholic Answers Forum. Although a Google search uncovered at least one complaint about the treatment of non-Catholics.

squire
Valinor

Apr 28 2010, 10:33pm

Post #82 of 89 (97 views)
Shortcut
We do miss you [In reply to] Can't Post

And hope you come by as often as the spirit moves you.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 28 2010, 11:43pm

Post #83 of 89 (72 views)
Shortcut
Thank you./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2010, 2:01am

Post #84 of 89 (75 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I can offer [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought these conversations were long gone (Debbie has redone her site) but then I remembered the Wayback Machine.

For the LOTR conversations, look here or here. And the person was Katerina. (plain Katerina... not Katerina Str.)

Debbie's second read of LOTR and the Hobbit conversations are here. although... I think the Hobbit part is here or here.

The comments are not part of the original post so it may take some finessing to find them on the Internet Archive. I usually pull the 'old' url off the link the WBM gives me and then search for that link rather than following the link within the WBM.

One must be patient on the Wayback Machine. I should really download these. sigh... so much to collect. I come by nick honestly.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Apr 29 2010, 3:12am

Post #85 of 89 (73 views)
Shortcut
Thanks--it worked! [In reply to] Can't Post

The posts are all there right under the blog. (Lucky for me, because I don't really understand the part about "pull the 'old' url off the link the WBM gives me and then search for that link rather than following the link within the WBM." I'm pretty self-taught in regard to the internet, and I didn't always do a very good job as my own instructor. :])

I found Katerina's post(s) pretty quickly, and it did make a lot of sense, speaking of Frodo as having some form of PTSD. Tolkien wouldn't have had the term of course, since that's a relatively recent thing; but WWI would certainly have given him the chance to see it happen, many times. Maybe he even felt that way himself at time, post-combat.

It certainly is a difficult ending for any book, and just testifies to the power of such a story that makes us willing to undergo that ending, over and over again!

Thanks again for your help. I'm very glad you're a Magpie, as I'm sure many others here are!Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2010, 3:26am

Post #86 of 89 (74 views)
Shortcut
No need [In reply to] Can't Post

for any feelings of guilt! It's natural, the cycles of waxing and waning: of interest, or of time available to spend here (or in any pursuit). Life is constant change.

And I add my voice to those who appreciate what you have posted over the years! And not just in the Reading Room and in gramma's TiME and BS: I will never forget your series about Beowulf, and how it opened my eyes to a deeper understanding of Tolkien's works.

Thank you. Smile

"I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 29 2010, 4:01am

Post #87 of 89 (81 views)
Shortcut
I do have much respect for you Curious. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the past i felt fortunate to catch your fine sense of humor too. You have said many things that caused me to stop and fascinatingly reflect on 'something new from the open window'.
Now the light will just not be as bright as it was.

I wish you well and hope as others that you will stay a part of this fellowship as much as you can.

sample
''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 29 2010, 5:44pm

Post #88 of 89 (68 views)
Shortcut
Awwww [In reply to] Can't Post

What a nice thing to say, squire. I'm flattered. Blush

Yes, the map was certainly one of the highlights of all highlights of my time here at TORn. It's one of my most cherished possesions and definitely my *most* cherished LOTR-related possesions by a long shot. Though, I'll never trust any of you again, lol! In a good way, of course. Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Tintallë
Gondor

Apr 30 2010, 5:26am

Post #89 of 89 (149 views)
Shortcut
How do I say it? [In reply to] Can't Post

It started with finding out the someone was making The Lord of the Rings into a movie. Three movies. Movies that were not cartoons. I'd read the books every year since I'd gotten those paperbacks with the weird covers as a kid. I'd never really thought about anyone making a REAL movie from them. My son told me about the movie. At that point he knew everything and I was still, as he put it, "the last stop on the information highway."

I was looking online for something about the movie and I found TORN by accident. I don't remember how; I don't even remember when - it was just sometime before the first movie came out. It was a time of great speculation and excitement, especially when a photo or trailer became available. It was a smallish community of Tolkien lovers on a smallish board, with modding privileges for those who racked up a fair number of posts.

Once the first movie came out, the boards exploded with movie-firsters and lively (and sometimes contentious) discussions of the movie, the book vs. the movie, the actors, the plot and character deviations, etc. I loved it, except sometimes. (Emotions and tempers ran a bit too hot at times.) It has grown and evolved (and improved - thanks for the "new" boards!!!!!") since then, but the core has remained the same - people here love the Tolkien tales. One man to bring them all, and on the internet bind them, so to speak.

What I remember best - what connects me to TORN most strongly - is Widfara and Reverend. Aunt Dora's story about looking out of her hospital window, and her mountain photos from her hikes. Grammaboodawg's undying love of everyone and everything LOTR, everything PJ, everything TORN - the woman is just an unrelenting positive force! Blue Wizard (who I miss). Pictures from NZ Strider and Roheryn's wedding. Darkstone's incredibly insightful perspectives. L. Ron Halfelven's lightening quick wit. Mr. Cere's movie recs. The weekly book thread. The weekly movie thread. The SAST quizzes, to which I owe my Flight off the Conchords CD. The brilliant pun threads. Pants threads. "Talk Like a Pirate Day" nicks, arrrrr! Clever nicks (Nazgurl! Barrow Wong!). The outpouring of love and support when I was drowning in misery from losing my dog. The thoughtful responses to my personal story confessing why my position on gun control has wavered. Too much more to list.

One thing I can say is that TORN has taught me to respond rather than react. It's a good lesson to learn. I have no doubt that the board discussions of the Hobbit movie will help me practice that skill.

I dabble here and there on the internet, but TORN is the only place I call home.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.