Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Who's having a LOTR Marathon over the Spring break?!

Artanis
Rohan

Mar 31 2010, 9:24pm

Post #1 of 22 (200 views)
Shortcut
Who's having a LOTR Marathon over the Spring break?! Can't Post

I am almost ashamed to confess that I haven't seen the films for exactly two years Shocked partly because I can't bear the thought of only watching one of the films. I MUST watch them consecutively!! Crazy

But as much as I'd like to watch all three in one day, we can't do that (too many little children at the minute....but one day we shall do it!!!). So, hopefully Thur/Fri/Sat will be the order! Cool And I can't wait!!

Unfortunately I'm on a diet at the minute, so my usual snack of salt and vinegar pringles and chocolate is out of the window, but I might be be using good Rosie with the Ribbon's suggestion of cucumber and mini tomatoes as a tasty snack!!!

So, if you are doing a LOTR marathon, when are you doing it AND what will you be eating!!!!???

Artanis

Lothlorian
Lorien

Mar 31 2010, 11:00pm

Post #2 of 22 (110 views)
Shortcut
at least once a quarter [In reply to] Can't Post

we had ours Palm weekend. Mint Choco Chip ice cream and sangria (not all at once - moderation in all things!) Angelic

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2010, 12:15am

Post #3 of 22 (110 views)
Shortcut
I didn't set out to, but [In reply to] Can't Post

it's ended up that way. I started toward the end of last week, and now I have the second disc of ROTK extended version to go - not sure how soon I'll get to it... too many birthdays in my family this time of year!

By the time I get to watching, it's too late at night to be eating - but if I did, it'd probably be leftover birthday cake!

Wherever you go, there you are.

Why not Elves and Potatoes?

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 1 2010, 1:19am

Post #4 of 22 (103 views)
Shortcut
I tend to watch them in Nov/Dec/Jan... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always feel nostalgic for the films around that time of year, since that was when they came out, and I spent three holiday seasons going to the theater multiple times to enjoy them.

But now, you have me thinking I should watch them twice a year!

Let us know how your viewing goes!

Weaver

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 1 2010, 1:26am

Post #5 of 22 (105 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna start it over spring break too [In reply to] Can't Post

No school, so definitely a great time to watch all extendeds in a row! I mean, I've already watched em about 20 times already in the past 2 months, but love LOTR, so....

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

M&M
Rivendell

Apr 1 2010, 1:50am

Post #6 of 22 (100 views)
Shortcut
That's not a bad idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

A LOTR Marathon...Sounds cool, wonder why I did not think of that! Cool

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2010, 9:36am

Post #7 of 22 (108 views)
Shortcut
Me [In reply to] Can't Post

But you already knew that.

I'm aiming for Monday. All the other days already have been booked by family get-togethers. I'm not sure I can manage all in one day (I did that once with the extended versions, that was a long day...). But at least I'll give it a start. Two must be do-able, and the third can go next Sunday.

And I'll stick with you. I'm going to be some healthy snacks, no pringles during LOTR! *eyes at chocolate eggs, well, I'm not watching LOTR right now, so.....* (sorry, couldn't resist Wink).

Rosegarden1972
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 10:24am

Post #8 of 22 (92 views)
Shortcut
Now there's an idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't done a marathon in ages. Long weekend, first cold weather here (SA), rain is forecast and I think I've got the first of the winter sniffles coming on *cough, cough*.

Can't think of a better way to spend the weekend.

Bacon sandwiches, chicken soup.

the_argonath
Lorien

Apr 1 2010, 11:03am

Post #9 of 22 (92 views)
Shortcut
What a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonder if I can plan my essay-writing around a LotR marathon? When there's a will....

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

jschomburg
Rivendell

Apr 1 2010, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 22 (140 views)
Shortcut
Films on TBS this weekend.. [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR on Friday night, TTT on Saturday night and ROTK on Sunday night.

Enjoy!

Flammifer
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 8:46pm

Post #11 of 22 (99 views)
Shortcut
I had my Spring Break two weeks ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, I totally had a LOTR marathon. All extended, all in one day. Good times.

"You speak of danger, but you do not understand. This is no treasure hunt, no there-and-back journey. I am flying from deadly peril into deadly peril."
"Of course we understand," said Merry firmly. "That is why we have decided to come."

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2010, 3:13am

Post #12 of 22 (102 views)
Shortcut
My kids did [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly, I had to go to work and missed much of it. Unsure

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Gene_Beane
The Shire

Apr 2 2010, 4:36am

Post #13 of 22 (101 views)
Shortcut
Been Marathoning since February [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't watched all three films since 2004 (five years), so when I realized that the 10th Anniversary for FOTR was on the horizon (sometime during my idle time in February) and thought it was in 2010 and not 2011, I was compelled to watch them again. Then promptly smacked myself upon the forehead for miscalculating the proper Anniversary Date.

So basically, I've been watching all three films since Feb, forward and backward, backward and forward, listening to the soundtracks, watching the special features, the trailers, tv spots and reading snippet of the books like someone who's had too much sugar and is suffering a rush because of it. Blush

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 2 2010, 5:50pm

Post #14 of 22 (79 views)
Shortcut
We've lost out touch... [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't help but grin last night at the start of FOTR with Bilbo describing Hobbits. It was almost like going home Cool. But, yes my husband and I have lost our touch as we only managed the first disc of FOTR..mind you we did put it on at nearly 10.00pm. So, tonight we're going to watch disc 2 and I CANT WAIT!!!!!

Hopefully we'll get out act together tomorrow night and start TT at an earlier time so we can watch the whole movie!!

I've love reading how and when everyone fits their marathons in. Cool

Artanis

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 2 2010, 6:08pm

Post #15 of 22 (102 views)
Shortcut
one time we took our DVD's on vacation with us... [In reply to] Can't Post

When our kids were younger, we could never get big blocks of uninterrupted time when we were awake enough to watch the films at home...so one year, we booked a 3-day weekend at a hotel in the area just for us, left the kids with a wonderful friend, and watched one film every night after spending the day doing vacation stuff. It was great!

Weaver

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 2 2010, 6:44pm

Post #16 of 22 (223 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way - marathon. Define marathon!

Is it a marathon if you watch for instance FOTR on monday, TTT on the next day and ROTK the day after that?

Or do you have to watch them all during a 12h nonstop period for it to be called a marathon?

I dont know! Cool

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 3 2010, 12:19pm

Post #17 of 22 (59 views)
Shortcut
Weaver, that sounds like bliss! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 3 2010, 12:23pm

Post #18 of 22 (58 views)
Shortcut
LOL well [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a true marathon would be watching all three films in one day! But the next best thing for me is watching them one after the other on three consecutive nights. Mind you we had to split FOTR as we put it on too late so we watched disc 2 last night. But tonight hopefully we're going to watch TTT and then Sunday night ROTK. Cool

Artanis

Ælfwine Samylfin
Bree

Apr 3 2010, 4:39pm

Post #19 of 22 (59 views)
Shortcut
I've been in recent communication . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . with the Tolkien Professor, Corey Olsen of Washington College in Maryland. He's been producing a podcast since last June, in which he talks in college-lecture format about the stories in depth, as stories, and before this semester was doing a close examination of The Hobbit. That was interrupted by the hecticness of this semester, but since January he's been recording and uploading his entire lecture series on Tolkien's works. They've gone through On Fairy Stories, Mythopoeia, Leaf By Niggle, Smith of Wooton Major, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and have just entered the territory of The Two Towers. After this semester ends, he means to resume his series on The Hobbit and have that done by June, and then go on to detailed examination of Tolkien's other major works. I visited his class yesterday (by sheer coincidence, as it is called, the betrayal of Frodo by Boromir was being discussed at length on Good Friday) and we had a long and beautiful conversation, in which he told me of plans of his to potentially convert his Hobbit-series into a book, and also asked if I would be willing to possibly assist him with the podcast (I had to think about it for all of .0003 seconds).

Anyway, that is all preamble to say that he also invited me to his class's marathon viewing of all three Extended Editions of the films on Saturday, 24 April, during which six great meals will be served to around 30-40 people (Balrog Wings are rumoured to be included on the menu). This is their third annual marathon, and he said he generally blows around $1000 on groceries for it. I told him that really puts Bilbo's party in better perspective.

"The job of the English Linguistics Department at Oxford University is to fight the English Literature Department!"
-T. A. Shippey, PhD., "Rediscovering Middle-Earth: The Roots of Tolkien's Myth"

Patty
Immortal

Apr 3 2010, 4:47pm

Post #20 of 22 (55 views)
Shortcut
No marathon, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did watch Fellowship on TBS last night.

Permanent address: Into the West

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 4 2010, 12:23am

Post #21 of 22 (49 views)
Shortcut
I had mine in February [In reply to] Can't Post

Took over 15 hours, hopefully I'll do it again in the summer

Have fun!

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 5 2010, 9:02pm

Post #22 of 22 (84 views)
Shortcut
It was! [In reply to] Can't Post

A highly recommend this version of a Middle Earth vacation, especially for those like me who are unlikely to ever travel to NZ!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.