Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Besides Thorin

marillaraina
Rohan

Aug 8 2011, 1:35am

Views: 1033
Shortcut
Besides Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see any reason for the ones most developed in the book not to also be the ones in the film - after Thorin, I'd say Balin(the voice of reason), Fili and Kili(not only Thorin's nephews but also tending to be friendly towards Bilbo and they are with him when he discovers the gate into the mountain) and Dori(Dori was the one who was always carrying Bilbo).

Then Gloin simply because he's Gimli's dad and I can't imagine them not doing something with that and Bofur because he's played by James Nesbitt, I can't see hiring James Nesbitt just to shove in the background most of the time.

That would also I think give at least one "fleshed out" dwarf to each little dwarf grouping. After that I would expect and hope all the other dwarves to at least have a couple of "stand out" scenes and traits.

My personal hope is much the same as sarahb's - which is Fili and Kili in particular--they were always two of the characters I was most interested in the book-- and, in terms of the films, just because it's a potential emotional goldmine and I think they are characters whom, when fleshed out, a lot of people could probably identify with, on both sides of the equation, because it's all about the family dynamic between them and Thorin.

And they die - partly because of Thorin's pride and his unwillingness to bend or see reason(and I'm saying this as someone who only the other day described all the ways in which I think Thorin was not entirely wrong but in those ways he was:), they die defending him(I wonder, given Tolkien fought in WWI if he connected them that - I know back then with the whole "lost generation" and all there was the idea that the youth of Europe was slaughtered in massive numbers in an old men's war). We should know them well before that happens, imo, because it should mean something. We'll have gone through two whole films with them and then, young and full of life, they're going to die.

They weren't very fleshed out in the book(none of the dwarves except Thorin were) and they don't have a lot of dialogue in the book but they are mentioned fairly frequently, they are active characters and the things that are mentioned and described about them make them rather interesting - obviously their youth, because this means they have never been very far from home before, they tend to take many of the difficulties in stride(like the barrels), they seem to be fairly helpful, which is kind of a nice trait in terms of giving them interactions with Bilbo and they also seem to be somewhat open-minded(relatively speaking of course, they are still dwarves:)) and as mentioned before, the big thing is that before the BoFA they do disagree with Thorin's method of handling things even though they do remain by his side.

Subject User Time
So many Dwarves, so little time... 7777777 Send a private message to 7777777 Mar 24 2010, 9:21am
    Balin is my favorite... Níniel Send a private message to Níniel Mar 24 2010, 3:56pm
        I pretty much agree Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Mar 24 2010, 4:09pm
    By 'write' we should include Ori! Mortimus Send a private message to Mortimus Mar 24 2010, 8:30pm
        I rather expect Fili and Kili to become the Merry and Pippin of The Hobbit films. Ælfwine Samylfin Send a private message to Ælfwine Samylfin Mar 25 2010, 4:03am
            Interesting to see how they'll adapt them... moreorless Send a private message to moreorless Mar 25 2010, 9:11pm
        Heh Fili and Kili are my prime candidates to be the Only Female main characters in the movie! Mirabella_Bunce Send a private message to Mirabella_Bunce Mar 26 2010, 5:40am
    Lets see.. Niniel Valinor Send a private message to Niniel Valinor Aug 7 2011, 2:31pm
    They'll have time for everybody sueb1863 Send a private message to sueb1863 Aug 7 2011, 2:39pm
    I'm really hoping sarahb1863 Send a private message to sarahb1863 Aug 7 2011, 2:52pm
        Besides Thorin marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Aug 8 2011, 1:35am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.