Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Yeah, of course

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jan 27 2010, 5:42am

Views: 144
Shortcut
Yeah, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

But they ideas (in terms of intentions and personality) aren't similar, they are very different, they are nearly quite opposite. The only serious drama of Jackson, the great Heavenly Creatures, is so bizarre and has no innocence inside: all the poetry in this story is dark and sadic (I haven't seen The Lovely Bones yet). Jackson's style has been initiated by the Raimi-esque frantic speedy travelling, but Jackson has given a new personality, since he is always make frantic and emphatic movements everywhere (the beginning of heavenly, of Braindead, the parts of The frighteners). Off course, it's not a bad thing: I found Jackson's style a virtuoso one, in some debates I usually go with this idea to the end of the discussion.

Del Toro is a poet. "His shots are almost matemathical" as Cuarón have said. Hellboy is more a Hollywood concesion and a good Mignola adaptation, but the voice is more mignola than del-torian. Hellboy 2 is pure Del Toro.

But in Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth there is no irony, but also a consciousness about reality that it's quite impossible to think in Jackson (and less in Tolkien) and a deep critic of what war means and how fascism destroys the real world from the political (the general) to the personal (the small details). This are mature ideas and even all the fantasy stuff, Pan's Labyrinth, above all, is a meditation upon fascism and its effects on reality. The fantasy is just a poetic license for understanding the way Olivia looks: I'm sure that Del Toro's imagination is baroque and weird, but it's poetry has a meditation and a reflexion that hasn't ANY Hollywood guy, with the few exceptions of some Cuarón and some early Spielberg (A.I., Empire of the Sun). The same to Cronos, a sad meditation upon inmortality that also has a innocence referent. Del Toro's images are baroque, but his style is deeply poetic, more in a vein of a Tourneur, a man who wants to give every shot a force and a feeling, but nothing excessive in terms of exceeding the narrative mission or the lyrical. All it's calculated to an admirable point. We can discuss if he's more influenced by the Hammer or by the italian underrated genius Mario Bava, but both could be a simple answer to an uneasy and fascinating question. I also think that Buñuel and Hitchcock, probably the supreme filmmakers along with Welles and Godard, play an interesting role in his cinema. In literary terms, he is also very strange and a genuine voice too.

Tolkien's book are rarely skeptical and rarely have a basis on reality, maybe the Hobbit and his great ending sentence (The gloomy business metaphor - I want hear it in the movie) it's the close to a wit, but Tolkien was a stric catholic and medieval academic: that's his formula. My problems rereading LoTR were precisely this: he has his moments, but I feel like I was reading a pastiche from Beowulf to some glimpses of other mythology of undeniable proportions, but with characters that weren't human or alive to me. Probably is my fault, because I admired and reread so many times other authors (Tolstoi, Shakespeare, Dostoievski)...to name a few and his great strength are characters to a point that I want this in every long novel (well, with exceptions). The greater truth beyond the fiction, the real soul in the pages. The setting has nothing to do, in fact it's so detailed that surprises me every time I read you fellas about how many stories and how big is the universe and I keep thinking that is my fault, but that's why I still love the simple ideas and the pure wit of The Hobbit. The adventure is a funny idea, an exciting one. This is unmatched yet, probably Tolkien best achievement, to give you that sense of clear and pure adventure with just humor and funny legendary creatures. My LoTR time has passed, I guess.

What I found intriguing is Del Toro's take on the first movie.

On the other hand, Del Toro has an admiration on the passionate Lord Dunsany,a formidable writer of little stories of myths that wrote with so many passion and sadness (he was a soldier, if I'm not wrong) and it would be very logical see...a Peter Jackson movie, on his early style.

So yeah, they are different and they are connected at the same time.

(This post was edited by IreneoFunes on Jan 27 2010, 5:49am)

Subject User Time
Where are the good news? macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Jan 26 2010, 7:46pm
    It is out there. It will come. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jan 26 2010, 8:30pm
        Fascinating IreneoFunes Send a private message to IreneoFunes Jan 27 2010, 3:57am
            I will bet Peter saw Pan's Labyrinth as well. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jan 27 2010, 4:35am
                I'm fairly sure duats Send a private message to duats Jan 27 2010, 5:07am
                Yeah, of course IreneoFunes Send a private message to IreneoFunes Jan 27 2010, 5:42am
    If you are that desperate for good news, I have some for you.... 7777777 Send a private message to 7777777 Jan 26 2010, 8:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.