Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit delayed till 2012 again
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 29 2010, 12:46am

Post #51 of 54 (35 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Squire on this one [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I liked the idea of Council and Necromancer business in a bridge film, pure Hobbit would only require one 3 to 3 and a quarter hour length film. The Animated Hobbit left certain things out because the animated Hobbit was 1hour and twelve minutes long. . . and STILL got in the bulk of the story and most of the songs. One would imagine the additional TWO hours would be filled with more than smoke rings and fondling of the precious. Also, Squire noted the "three books to three films formula," and noted the LOTR books as three seperate works each being about the length of The Hobbit. . . actually, they are all longer than The Hobbit, and both Fellowship and Return of The King are longer by about 200 pages. Just saying.

In Reply To
"Condensing the book to a single film, in our opinion, makes it too much of a travelogue- an itinerary of adventures rather than an adventure itself." GDT

"Take a look at the animated Hobbit film and how much textural and dramatic material gets condensed or thrown out (Beorn for one) and you'll understand that "fitting it all" into a single film is quite impossible." GDT

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jan 29 2010, 12:49am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 29 2010, 1:14am

Post #52 of 54 (30 views)
Shortcut
Reading GDTs posts in regards to this I do not see defensiveness. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of his earlier posts were. I think that the two movie deal effected the choice but it was sold as a replacement for The Bridge Film + The Hobbit. I see this as a definite improvement. I truly believe that a longer Hobbit is a better Hobbit. The reason I believe this (as I stated in a couple other posts) involves the only audio adaptation of the Hobbit that was approved by the professor. It was stipulated that no connecting material be written to link scenes. It is as long as two long movies +. I am not supporting the decision to make two films of the book and collateral material because I am worshiping the false prophet. I concur with him and believe that we all will benefit.

And by the way I am surprised that Shay knew there were three volumes let alone six books.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 29 2010, 2:21am

Post #53 of 54 (28 views)
Shortcut
In the other thread, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but in this thread it was just someone's opinion. Not even a well formulated one since, as I mentioned in the other thread, he seems to think a 90 minute film illustrates a. Point about length relevant to a film that will likely be up to 180 minutes.

EDIT: I missed squire's eloquent post before writing this one, but he expresses the points far better than I have.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Jan 29 2010, 2:25am)

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 29 2010, 2:31am

Post #54 of 54 (60 views)
Shortcut
This audio adaptation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...sounds to be about as close to a "literal adaptation" as is possible. It's a given already that GDT isn't making a literal adaptation though (and I wouldn't expect him too), but that means he has more leeway to make The Hobbit fit the medium instead of more or less reading the book to a camera.

I haven't heard the audio adaptation, but from what you've mentioned it sounds more like a reading than an adaptation. That's fine, but it makes it hard to compare to a film adaptation.

Please correct me if I've misinterpreted what you've said about the audio adaptation. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.