Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The case for a younger Bilbo
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 28 2010, 7:02pm

Post #76 of 84 (59 views)
Shortcut
No problem; the timelines can definitely be confusing // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tiria
Bree

Jan 28 2010, 8:59pm

Post #77 of 84 (53 views)
Shortcut
As mentioned before: Hobbits come of age later and live longer [In reply to] Can't Post

They are NOT human analogs. They are not the race of Men

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 28 2010, 9:07pm

Post #78 of 84 (49 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbits are a variant of humans, at least in the book (the Prologue to TLotR: Hobbits are nearer relatives to humans even than Elves, who are biologically the same species as humans since they can have fertile offspring together). I don't believe there is anything to suggest the film-canon is different.

Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, coming of age does not demonstrate anything regarding rates of maturation: physical OR emotional. Nor does living longer (though the only difference is in the number of hobbits who live longer, not the maximum lifespan).

Tiria
Bree

Jan 28 2010, 9:27pm

Post #79 of 84 (48 views)
Shortcut
Should Aragorn have been cast with an 80 y/o? [In reply to] Can't Post

I fail to see how literalism is going to make for a better film. Which is the point, is it not?

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jan 28 2010, 10:17pm

Post #80 of 84 (41 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Should Aragorn have been cast with an 80 y/o? = well said! Literalism doesn`t make a better movie. Besides, Ian Holm was too old for Bilbo who was supposed to look like he did in The Hobbit (which is 50 or human equivalent of 35). He was 70. Yet he was a great Bilbo.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 28 2010, 10:40pm

Post #81 of 84 (38 views)
Shortcut
I believe the difference is [In reply to] Can't Post

and someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong about this, that Tolkien specifically stated that men of Numenorean decsent keep their youthful good looks until the last decade of their lives. He was never so specific about Hobbit aging and we're left with speculation only, which, as we've all seen, can be interpreted any way we want.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on Jan 28 2010, 10:40pm)

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 29 2010, 1:54am

Post #82 of 84 (32 views)
Shortcut
Unlike with hobbits... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we know that Numenoreans age slower than normal humans. It is clear from the actions of Aragorn and others that they are in better shape than others of that age would be. Similar evidence for hobbits does not exist.

Additonally, where have I advocated literalism? Suggestong that an adaptation should not play fast and loose with the characters it is adapting is not the same as saying nothing should be changed.

As for "the point"; obviously making a good film is important, but the point of an adaptation is to tell an existing story in a new form. Arbitrarily changing said story results in a failed adaptation.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 29 2010, 1:56am

Post #83 of 84 (33 views)
Shortcut
In some cases... [In reply to] Can't Post

...more faithulness to the book (I refuse to accept the straw man distortion of "literalism") might well. Look at the "scrubbing bubbles" Army of the Dead for one, or the two-dimensional, slobbering madman Denethor.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 29 2010, 3:56am

Post #84 of 84 (67 views)
Shortcut
Addendum [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think to add this earlier, but I'm wondering if you were planning on responding to my points now that you've posted the non sequitur.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.