Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
What games did you get or have been playing this season?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jan 19 2010, 2:33am

Post #26 of 34 (665 views)
Oblivion has some wonderful aspects to their game like, [In reply to] Can't Post

buying houses, making potions, enchanting weapons all of which Baldur’s Gate doesn’t have.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2010, 1:53pm

Post #27 of 34 (672 views)
I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't feel all that original to me, and the gameplay wasn't theb estb ecause you can't tell whether or not you're doing any damage. However I will say that its freeroam aspect was incredible. The huge environment was just great. Smile

Jan 25 2010, 1:09am

Post #28 of 34 (659 views)
Total War: Rome, Rock Band 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit of a Johny come lately on RB2; the sound track is much better than the first one (and that one was pretty good!). Getting the hang of the drums this time out. I note that the song selections are quite a bit more difficult for the singer -- a lot of discordant, loose singing styles ie Alice in Chains, Bob Dylan, Talking Heads, et al.

As for Rome, I've always been a fan of the Total War series playing every version from Medieval to Empire. But for some reason I glossed over Rome when it was released in 2005 (I think I was really busy with Teacher's College at the time?) Anyway there are a couple things that set this title apart from other RTS games including the rest of the Total War series (Medieval II Kingdoms being my favourite): The first is that the game engine was developed to render the epic battle scenes for the movie Troy (I think it was Troy); Secondly on the battle map, depending on your general's attributes and the make up of the opposing army, your general gives an inspiring pep talk outlining such things as what to expect from the opposing army, his opinion of their abilities, difference in force size, troop quality, morale and strategy. I was a bit surprised by some of the speeches -- the developers must have built in phrases that are triggered by certain conditions -- in how well they flowed and matched the conditions you were likely to encounter.

Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2010, 2:05am

Post #29 of 34 (622 views)
Picked up FIFA 10.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Played two quick games and love it. Great amount of leagues and teams in this one. I'm really impressed with the 'Create a Pro' aspect of the EA Sports games. I've picked up NHL 10, Madden 10 and now FIFA 10 and all of them have very similar aspects to them, including the 'Create A Pro' portion. These games seem to have a lot of depth, by that I mean there are several aspects to play from. Be a Pro, Be a GM, Season, Exhibition and most of this is all mirrored in online play with Xbox Live. Meaning you can take your Pro and use him/her online, as well as online leagues, tourneys etc.
FIFA 10 has a great look to it. MLS is included so us North Americans can play a league with our teams, or there are the usual popular teams from over-the-pond, ManU, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Celtic.....So far I'm impressed with how much I can do in this game. The re-play value is just huge as well, unlike so many games that when you beat them on the toughest level they are pretty much done. Except of course for the online value. But a game like Oblivion has no online value really. Anyway, the sports games this year seem to be getting good ratings from the mag's, web and users....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2010, 3:49am

Post #30 of 34 (588 views)
Some activity.... [In reply to] Can't Post

lately on Pollantir about LOTRO lately.....was just wondering if anyone in here is playing it more or less lately? Anything cool going on with your characters?

Feb 26 2010, 8:06pm

Post #31 of 34 (559 views)
LotRO FTW [In reply to] Can't Post

I've definitely picked up the Lord of the Rings Online pace lately. The recent Mirkwood expansion has been absolutely great, although never has my marriage been so stressful as when the wife and I ran a 3-man skirmish by ourselves Crazy

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2010, 8:24pm

Post #32 of 34 (1144 views)
That's hilarious.... [In reply to] Can't Post

about the skirmish! I haven't attempted any skirmishing yet....I'm trying to knock off as many individual quests in the Shire/Bree as I can at the moment. Also trying to get into the roleplaying a bit more as my character is on the roleplaying server....I met Strider though! That was cool! He has a mission for my character, so that will be cool....

Frodo's Pearl
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 2:27pm

Post #33 of 34 (513 views)
BFME [In reply to] Can't Post

Replaying Battle for Middle Earth. I so want to get II.

Yes, you have seen a thing or two since you last peeped out of a looking-glass. ~Frodo, FotR --- ..May you come to realize that insignificant as you may seem in this great universe, you are an important part of God's plan. May He watch over you and keep you safe from harm. ~Roma Downey

Apr 1 2010, 5:20pm

Post #34 of 34 (704 views)
BFME [In reply to] Can't Post

Really is an exceptional game, even if it is mainly Command and Conquer redressed. Love the music.

Unlike BFME, II and Rise of the Wicki veer away from the movies somewhat, but none the less are worth playing as well.

aside: I guess it's time to repost this thread on page 1. Thanks for the reminder.Cool

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 1 2010, 5:22pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.