Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day!

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 14 2009, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 17 (305 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day! Can't Post

I think three cheers are in order for Reera the Red. I do believe the saying 'You don't know what you've got till its gone' rings very true for the fantastic framecliplib.com Cool

Anyway on to todays SCOD. I'm going to combine Mondays with todays, leaving you free to comment on Mondays clip if you wish, though I have to admit I only wanted to post it today because although it is Fangorn Forest, it is a lovely shot! Any thoughts on it yourself?

Now I picked todays shot because I personally was rather in awe (again) at the detail and care that went in to making our beloved LOTR.

Here we have Eowyn mourning the loss of Theodred.

1. Having a look around the room first, do you wonder what those items are on the little bedside table, any guesses? The wall hanging was intriguing to me, I can't tell what it depicts so do you have any thoughts?

2. Lighting! Is it cold enough - do you upon looking at it feel as if the floor would be cold if you were to walk on it, or is it too dull. I don't think the candle is providing all the light so why is it there?

3. Eowyn herself is obviously distraught enough to not be concerned about getting that lovely dress of hers dirty upon all those 'rugs'. What do animal do you think they are from, did Theodred slay them? And one last thing about him is the way he is lying on the bed, he looks to me like he has almost been 'dumped' there. Is this perhaps Grima's doing?

4. Any other thoughts? And if you need to see a bigger version here are the links.

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0438.htm
http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0476.htm

Artanis

frederica bolger
Lorien

Oct 14 2009, 4:55pm

Post #2 of 17 (153 views)
Shortcut
interesting juxtaposition... [In reply to] Can't Post

...woods and castle, joy and sadness, light and dark...

Fangorn in this 'early morning' shot looks like a cathedral space (interesting to compare the light shining through the branches with later images of Edoras, the Hornburg, the throne room in Minas Tirith. It is definitely a space of similar importance and majesty. Add to that Pippin's joy of being alive, with the sun shining and the birds singing...

The lighting in the second image is also interesting, I assume that there is light coming in from windows we don't see. But it is cold and accentuates the dead man's white face, and the cold-looking white dress. Is this to set the mood for Grima's remarking on her fair, and cold, appearance? As to him looking slightly dumped there... dying is a messy business, and the surprising thing is that there is no one there to lay him out in state, no wailing women, no grieving men, no servants, which tells us about how the King's hall has deteriorated after Grima took over. And I think Theodred's father not being there is a glaring absence.

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

the_argonath
Lorien

Oct 14 2009, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 17 (154 views)
Shortcut
SCOD [In reply to] Can't Post

I, like you, totally love this Fangorn shot!! It captures everything "magical" and "elven" etc about the place. It almost looks like an illustration, one that I'd be happy to have on my wall! I espcially love how the lighting comes through the trees and the intricacy of the roots... fabulous!!

To me it looks like cheese/butter on the table (the log-shaped thing), on top of a napkin of sorts, but I'm pretty sure it isn't!! I see an old water goblet as well and can't make out anything else. The wall hanging looks like a Celtic cross of sorts, not a religious symbol I don't think but I imagine when it was new the colours would've been amazing! Lighing is definately cold enough and I'm guessing the floor is tiled or stone so it'd be freezing! Now you mention it being dull I kind of see what you mean though.... I love Eowyn's dress as well! Her and Arwen's dresses are my favourites costumes Laugh (and Gandalf's cloak/hat, and the hobbit scarves... but I digress). The rugs could've come from Théoden or his fathers, or could be from Théodred cause they look slightly faded around the edges. Either he's tried to get up himself and flopped back down or I agree and say he's been dumped there, and since no-one but Eowyn tended to him.... there he stayed Frown

Cheers, Artanis

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 14 2009, 5:50pm

Post #4 of 17 (139 views)
Shortcut
I love the juxtaposition of these images! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for Theodred's bedside table, I'm guessing the rolled-up item is a bandage or a compress, now, alas, no longer needed.

I'd be happy to have the photo of Fangorn as a print, too. John Muir, the great naturalist, used to talk about the cathedral of nature, which this certainly is.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 14 2009, 7:51pm

Post #5 of 17 (126 views)
Shortcut
I see [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not alone in thinking the Fangorn shot is worth of a place on walls, it is lovely isn't it!

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 14 2009, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 17 (129 views)
Shortcut
I was very tempted... [In reply to] Can't Post

to focus on Eowyns dress...but I would have digressed terribly too!!

Good point about the wall hanging, hmm makes me wonder if somewhere 'out there' there is a proper photo of it, I'd love to know what it is of and why they chose it.

Oh, and yes 'magical' and 'elven' like is a good description for Fangorn, and really the place doesn't look that uninviting, for when I saw it today it just looked so lovely.

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 14 2009, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 17 (131 views)
Shortcut
I have to confess [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to look up the word juxtaposition, so thanks Frederica, I've learned something new today!! LOL Oh, yes I love Pippin's contended state during this scene!

Yes, of course, Theodred's father is not there, what a good point...who isn't there is quite often as intriguing as who is there! What a sad tale at this pont.

Artanis

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 14 2009, 11:20pm

Post #8 of 17 (145 views)
Shortcut
I'm almost certain [In reply to] Can't Post

the rugs are calf hides.

I hadn't noticed the wall hanging before - my focus had always been on Eowyn's dress!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

weathertop
Lorien

Oct 15 2009, 2:38am

Post #9 of 17 (114 views)
Shortcut
nope they're deer. [In reply to] Can't Post

and they're small deer too. but in this case probably represent gazelles or something as i don't see deer roaming the vast meadows of Rohan.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 15 2009, 3:07am

Post #10 of 17 (116 views)
Shortcut
I do believe you're right! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2009, 3:48am

Post #11 of 17 (139 views)
Shortcut
yeah, SCOD! [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Fanghorn Forest shot came up, I thought I was looking at a tunnel...

Second SCOD, I saved and zoomed. The better to see things with, you know. LOL--the item that looks like a rolled *ace bandage*--I swear I saw the little metal fasteners when I enlarged/zoomed there. Crazy Otherwise, a couple of vessels that likely held liquid of some sort. No idea. The wall hanging is interesting but can't make out what it may represent.
Hard to believe but I never noticed Theodred's positioning here. Weird. When Eomer and Eowyn were with him, he looked to be lying "straight" on the bed. How'd that happen?

(This post was edited by batik on Oct 15 2009, 3:49am)

Elven
Valinor

Oct 15 2009, 11:41am

Post #12 of 17 (101 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, the Forest of Dreams ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks so quiet, still and untouched - what a beautiful place it seems.

Theodreds room looks so fallorn and cold - even with the rugs and the wallhangings.
Eowyn looks angelic in her white dress - a healer unable to save.

Beautiful SCODs - thankyou artanis Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 15 2009, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 17 (98 views)
Shortcut
just a few quick thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I like Fangorn green like this -- it's so blue and dark many times in the films! I guess I have more experience with forests during the daytime than at night, so it's easier for me to relate to the environment in a shot like this.

2. Eowyn looks like an angel here, to me...sort of like a heavenly messenger coming to the aid/comfort of a hero or martyr.

3. Both of these shots look like paintings to me....

4. I agree, the detail and artistry of the films is something to admire...I never grow tired of shots like these, and it's nice to have the chance to see them as separate images like this.

Thanks for your lovely choices!

Weaver

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 16 2009, 5:31am

Post #14 of 17 (85 views)
Shortcut
The wall hanging [In reply to] Can't Post

makes me wonder if someone cobbled it together from the same collection of books on Celtic design and illuminated manuscripts that I own. ;) [*This* one, and *that* one - minus the outer border, and...] Obsessions collide once again. =)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2009, 8:34pm

Post #15 of 17 (65 views)
Shortcut
My theory (mostly unsupported) [In reply to] Can't Post

is he had a few convulsions after Wormtongue administered poison to finish him off.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 19 2009, 6:33am

Post #16 of 17 (53 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm going with a Book of Durrow carpet page design [In reply to] Can't Post

with different coloring, and a different border that might be Durrow as well, but is kinda hard to see at that size. (Haven't watched the DVDs for about 3 years. :/ )

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 22 2009, 4:48pm

Post #17 of 17 (51 views)
Shortcut
Great Pics!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That shot of Fangorn with the tiny image of Merry standing in the sunlight is captivating! WOW! It really puts you into the forest with him. Dark and light. That's stunning!

And the picture of Eowyn with Theodred just breaks your heart. I did notice the he looks rather off-kilter in the bed. I was thinking he was lain at an angle because so many people were sitting beside him to tend and attend to him. It's almost like she'd been sitting beside him, then dropped to the floor in her anxiety. I wish there'd been more of their relations (Eowyn, Eomer, Theodred) in the film. I"m sure there's some footage in the computers that we'll see in the extended-extended 25th anniversary super-mega edition!

Thanks Artanis!! Great pic picks :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.