Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Film 2 - Moria

trav

Oct 7 2009, 2:01am

Post #1 of 10 (571 views)
Shortcut
Film 2 - Moria Can't Post

What do you guys think of Film 2 having the attack in Moria as one of the bridge elements? It could show the Dwarf die on the well, which fell when Pippin disturbed in LOTR.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 7 2009, 2:11am

Post #2 of 10 (286 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn, trav! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Moria would be a great bridging element between The Hobbit and LOTR, but GDT and PJ have made it fairly clear by now that the bridge movie is out and Film 2 will be the second half of The Hobbit. We may never know, now, what the writing team had in mind when they were talking about this bridge film.

Welcome to TORn, though. Hope to see you around the boards!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for October

trav

Oct 7 2009, 2:28am

Post #3 of 10 (268 views)
Shortcut
true, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there won't be a "bridge film", but I thought they said that film 2 will still be kind of a lead in to LOTR and make them feel like one big movie?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2009, 3:05am

Post #4 of 10 (267 views)
Shortcut
From what I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

They will be telling the story in The Hobbit over two movies, but that will include some of Gandalf's activities when he left Bilbo and the dwarves. Since Balin left for Moria after the events of The Hobbit, it might be difficult to put that in these two movies.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 7 2009, 3:08am

Post #5 of 10 (249 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's true that last year (last October, in fact) GDT indicated that the Hobbit movies and LOTR should feel like a seamless whole. He never said exactly what that meant. But, in April of this year, I believe, GDT said that film two would end where the book ends (someone correct me if I'm off, please, I can't dig up the link now). We know they will include some material from outside of The Hobbit (Dol Guldor and the White Council) but no one's quite sure what the structure of the two movies will be (except for the filmmakers, I hope).

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for October

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 7 2009, 5:23am

Post #6 of 10 (224 views)
Shortcut
That is my recollection as well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But, in April of this year, I believe, GDT said that film two would end where the book ends (someone correct me if I'm off, please, I can't dig up the link now).

I have a specific recollection of GdT saying that, but I don't have a link either.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

carrioncrow
Lorien

Oct 7 2009, 10:40am

Post #7 of 10 (221 views)
Shortcut
bridge film [In reply to] Can't Post

Back when we were thinking of Film Two as the 'bridge film', it always seemed to me that the central strand of the story would have to be Balin and the story line that connects the epilogue of THE HOBBIT (with Balin turning up on Bilbo's doorstep!) and the great first battle of PJFOTR (with Gimli grieving for Balin and the Fellowship in the presence of Balin's tomb opening a can of whupass together for the first time). Not to mention that the Moria sequence is when Gollum, not coincidentally, re-enters the story.

(This post was edited by carrioncrow on Oct 7 2009, 10:43am)

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Oct 7 2009, 3:31pm

Post #8 of 10 (176 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Movie does end where the book does, thats with a visit by Gandalf and Balin to Hobbiton. Maybe we'll have Balin refer to a return to Moria in passing.

Nesse
Lorien

Oct 7 2009, 7:00pm

Post #9 of 10 (165 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

if theyre not using a bridging film I can def see them ending with a link to LotR maybe saying '60 years later' showing Gandalf entering Hobbiton once more like he did with Bilbo only Frodo this time instead?

Tattered
The Shire

Oct 8 2009, 8:36pm

Post #10 of 10 (149 views)
Shortcut
Well I wouldn't count out any possibility of a third movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think for right now they will focus only on the two movies, but with the success of these two movies I'm sure they'll find some way to go back and make a third. Never assume a company won't keep trying to drag out whatever money they can. FOX will never stop supplying George Lucas with money, so long as he keeps coming up with ideas for Star Wars. He's made seven films, three or more tv series, and a couple made for tv movies all based on Star Wars. He's currently working on a live action tv series. My point is anyway that if you can spit out enough money eventually they'll bite and make whatever you want.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.