The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
The Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, New York

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 23 2009, 1:38pm

Post #1 of 18 (415 views)
Shortcut
The Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, New York Can't Post

The Renaissance Faire this year turned out to be a very good starting with the weather here in ‘09. There was new life too at the Faire with many new people within the singers and actors and we believe behind the scenes because the costumes and the performances all around were livelier and better construed.

At the entrance where was a gigantic multi-ton musical bell 'instrument' that is a trailer in itself. It was played by a single person. It was amazing. I do not have a shot of it, perhaps dernwyn can help us here.

Then we found the chess match which was really fun and quiet the rough and tumble.

Here we sat in the stands taking it all in. The top row left to right is master sil, master Losse, miss Losse and mr, Losse. The front row was mrs. sil, Smeagirl, and Losse.

Here is a great shot of Mr. Dernwyn , dernwyn and smeagirl a little later on.

We went to the aviary show which had wonderful birds on the wing. Here are two of them, a dark plummaged, red shouldered hawk with a white high-lighted tail (who's name escapes me although i delved the internet for something similar enough), and a great horned owl which actually has tufted feathers as horns.

The ‘kids’ (the smaller/younger ones) had a good time and each year we see them grown a bit more to our delight. Here we have

the younger Losse princess:) and the older:).

And here we have two rascalians, master Losse and master sil.

There were a host of the most curious shoppes as usual and we all wandered around visiting them, curiously losing and finding each other a few times due to the crowds that were there that day. Thank Eru for the cell service again this year. The walkie-talkies are a thing of the mast, hanging on the yardarms, or told to walk thee plank.

We were well protected too for there were knights about you will see.

There was this most amazing juggler known for his ‘fire and water’ show. Actually he would juggle a torch, a running chainsaw and a wooden pin all while balancing on a ladder. Here you will see how he taped ‘‘EXPLOSIVES!’’ to his chest and then when they went off he had the host of kids in the crowd throw water balloons at him to extinguish him as he said he ‘’NEEDED!’’

We ended up at the joust which was very nicely done this year, perhaps the best yet.. Here is a setting sun joust to set the mood.

And here is our final group shot where we snagged a willing soul to handle the camera. From bottom left to right is; Smeagirl, the young Losse princess’s, master Losse, and master sil.

The next row up is; Mr. Losse, Losse, dernwyn and Mr. dernwyn.

At the top is some guy proudly showing off his, ‘The One Ring.Net’ shirt and ‘Sideshow Collectibles’ hat and on the right is our mrs. sil.

We ended up at the diner again for our parting meal enjoying each other company for a little longer. And we hugged in the end realizing the dear friendship that we have.

But the weekend was not over for four of us mooting-wise for Smeagirl could come home to the camp with us and stay a couple of days. It was good to have her. We ascended to Amon Hen and a bit further down the ridge for a hike on sunday. Then we had a brilliant starry boat ride in the coolness of the evening and on Monday smeagirl and I were able to trek-it down to the dam through the winding waterway by canoe to get out and wander the beautiful woods. Smeagirl was in such delight with it all, seeing the little stirrings in the water where many fish and other unknown scurryings which were abound. We did find one small turtle before he descended below the lilypad ‘flets’. In the woods there were many shapes and sizes of mushrooms and toadstools of delight as well amidst the hemlock, beech, black birch, tulip trees and red maple. And here is my companion for the day that protected me from all the bears:). The second shot is a tad blurry but i felt it should be included because of the big smile..

And here is a tranquil shot of a bit of the wood that we explored that day. and the now starting to turn, low wet lands that we canoed through, although the channel is hidden below. Here we sat and and snacked and drank and talked a while perched on a high rock outlook before we started the return trip.

I was able to give Smeagirl a fine motorcycle ride to town to catch the train that Monday afternoon for it was a fair and warm. As she was safely on here way home (news sent upon arrival) I trekked off to pick up master sil at school. He was sorely disappointed that he had school that day too for he would have loved to foray with us. It was very nice to have her with us for a spell. She was fine company:).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2009, 7:15pm

Post #2 of 18 (266 views)
Shortcut
What a delight [In reply to] Can't Post

To look at all those wonderful pictures with so many smiling faces.

You sure had a wonderful time!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 23 2009, 7:54pm

Post #3 of 18 (268 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for a fun report! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost as good as being there. Great photos!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2009, 1:48am

Post #4 of 18 (275 views)
Shortcut
That portable Carillon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cast in Bronze, or, getting up close and personal with a carillon! He played the bells with accompaniment tracks, and it was fun to watch them "in action" - and the player as well, he was rather theatrical!

This is the unit:

And the console from which he plays it:

You can see the very small bells at upper left.

Fantastic report, sil, thank you! Smile It was so much fun to get together with your family and Smeagirl and the Losse's again! And I'm glad you had the best weather for another paddle into the marsh, and a walk up Amon Hen - a great way to give Smeagirl a break from the caverns of NYC! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 24 2009, 2:53am

Post #5 of 18 (265 views)
Shortcut
And he wore that haunting, daunting [In reply to] Can't Post

black, Phantom of the Opera-like outfit with the pointed ears and nose from the mask he wore. SpookyShockedLaugh.

We forgot to mention our omelettes with mushrooms (mine had feta cheese) that morning. Dernwyn beat us there that morning too.

After that we went down the street to the RR station to wait for the 1st train of the day for smeagirl to arrive.

There so happened that a farm market was there and we picked up these gigantic yellow apples the size of grapefruits and some fresh corn for the next night. All turned out very delicious.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 24 2009, 2:57am

Post #6 of 18 (256 views)
Shortcut
I wish you could have experienced it [In reply to] Can't Post

with us Rosie. You would be beaming too:).

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 24 2009, 3:01am

Post #7 of 18 (258 views)
Shortcut
The only thing missing was a good rainbow [In reply to] Can't Post

and yous guysLaugh.

I am glad to had some fun.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2009, 6:52am

Post #8 of 18 (265 views)
Shortcut
Oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

That carillon is made in the place I went to school in for years.
I went to highschool in Asten, which is about 4 kilometers from Someren, where I grew up.

I didn't know they also made things like this. I only knew about the big bells for clock towers.
What a great thing to look at.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2009, 3:56pm

Post #9 of 18 (257 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

One would hope that they would make a carillon for the town, as advertisement!

Clock tower bells are huge; that factory must be quite large, to accomodate so many types of bells!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2009, 12:21am

Post #10 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so THAT’S what a carillon looks like! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was curious what they looked like. Of course, I imagine it looks different if it’s not portable.

It must be loud inside.

Thanks for the pic!

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25 2009, 9:01am

Post #11 of 18 (268 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* This is Fantastic!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Lookit all these awesome people! What a beautiful day and an unforgettable weekend :)

I felt like I was there, you guys. Thanks sil... glorious pictures and lovely journey through your story!!

Cheers, all! Can't wait to see you :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 25 2009, 2:16pm

Post #12 of 18 (261 views)
Shortcut
A wonderful weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for my delayed reply to this. I came back to the sad news that the owner of the company I work for had died on Sunday, and I spent Wednesday at the funeral and cemetery. That was originally going to be my "day off" to catch up on other stuff (including TORn posts), and now I'm backlogged.

Anyway, this was a beautiful and relaxing weekend, and thanks for posting the report, Sil!

A few random comments/observations:

Did everyone notice the little yellow creature on the shoulder of one of Losse's little ones? That is a drabbit (a cross between a dragon and a rabbit Laugh, though I'm not sure where the yellow comes from Tongue), purchased at the faire. Its disposition seems to come from the rabbit side of the family, as it nods agreeably at passersby. Losse, does the drabbit have a name yet?

We all commented on how the costumes seemed even better than usual, and the casting (with several new actors this year) was quite excellent. Robin Hood and his merry men were especially impressive! Every act was quite comedic, with lots of fun little touches, both in witticisms and slapstick.

Re the carillon, the player commented that it doesn't fit indoors in most places. And I felt bad for cello players trying to take the subway . . .

Silneldor and family were kind enough to invite me back to their place, where we continued to enjoy the perfect weather. I can honestly say that their lakeside camp is one of my favorite places in the world. Many parts of the buildings and dock were created or added to by Sil himself, and his eye for beauty and love for his family are strikingly apparent in all the workmanship. And the natural surroundings are magnificent!

We hiked together in the woods, and young Master Sil was quite gentlemanly. He carefully stayed just downhill from me on the path to catch me should I fall, and was always quick to extend a hand should I need a bit of help over a rocky or slippery spot. And at Sunday dinner, he was heard to say, "Aw, we're out of broccoli and cauliflower? But those are my favorites!" Laugh Quite an unusual 12-year-old!

Lack of brassicas notwithstanding, dinner was delicious, as Mrs. Sil had prepared a tasty quinua/veggie burger dish, which we ate with fresh corn from the farmer's market as Sil mentioned.

And we roasted marshmallows on their woodstove! Mmmmm . . .

The next day I spent time paddling about in a little boat Sly, as Sil steered us around in the shallows among the waterlilies. This area has the best-camouflaged frogs I've (not) seen! There were dozens of them jumping into the water as we approached each tuft of grasses and water plants. You can't see them before they jump as they're so well hidden, and after they jump -- well, they're so quick, they're gone by the time you turn toward the splash. It was impressively frustrating to hear so many and not see a one. The white water lilies certainly provided plenty of visual delight though.

Sunday evening we star-gazed from out on the lake. The constellations looked so different, compared to my usual city/suburb viewing where I can only see the brightest ones.

Thanks, fellow NE TORnsibs! I am already looking forward to next year's moot. Smile Heart Smile Heart Smile

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2009, 5:27pm

Post #13 of 18 (246 views)
Shortcut
Your mention of cello players on the subway [In reply to] Can't Post

reminded me of a friend of mine in NYC who plays tuba/sousaphone (as an amateur). He had to bring (wear, really) the sousaphone to some performances via the subway. He said people were so charmed by it that they would actually talk to him on the subway!

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 25 2009, 6:42pm

Post #14 of 18 (240 views)
Shortcut
I am delighted that you caught [In reply to] Can't Post

some fun here and felt you were amongst us.

We are all looking forward to the grand delight of the concert weekend with you also. Cheers gramma!!

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 25 2009, 6:58pm

Post #15 of 18 (249 views)
Shortcut
Oh! I am sorry for your loss smeagirl. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all, in the end, turns out ok with everyone involved.

So, i will just say that i am glad all of us had a time together. It was grand. Next year we all will hits the gates before 10amSmile.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2009, 5:42pm

Post #16 of 18 (237 views)
Shortcut
The factory [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't that large. They usually only work on a few bells at a time. And since it is all handcrafted, they don't need that much space.

I told my parents about it this weekend and they knew about the carrilon, they said it is especially made for the US, so you lucky people. But here in Holland we do have a lot of carrilons, in clocktowers and some even attached to buildings, so maybe the demand for a movible one isn't here.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2009, 10:48pm

Post #17 of 18 (246 views)
Shortcut
Over here [In reply to] Can't Post

the carillons which play from some church towers tend to be digital. Not really the same sound as real bells!

The University of Texas in Austin, Texas has a real carillon. I need to call my sister-in-law there sometime and ask her about them, as she was planning to learn how to play them!

Lossefalme
Gondor

Oct 17 2009, 1:20am

Post #18 of 18 (264 views)
Shortcut
Frabjous joy, Sil!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great report. I'm never much good at them, but you make it all come alive again. Superb! Miss you...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.