The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Palantirs vs. Iphones

Finrod Felagund 5
The Shire

Sep 9 2009, 5:27am

Post #1 of 16 (4355 views)
Shortcut
Palantirs vs. Iphones Can't Post

Pretend for a second that Iphones can do all that they can do without needing cell towers and Internet connections (as there are none of those in Middle-earth), and that they can somehow work by themselves as if by magic. What would be more helpful to the Fellowship as they were setting out on their quest, a couple of Palantirs, or a couple of Iphones? Also assume for this conversation that Sauron's possession of a Palantir doesn't matter (let's say, to cancel that out, that he ALSO has an Iphone of his own!). So what would be more helpful to the Fellowship? Also, try to be creative and determine what each member of the Fellowship (or other characters in Tolkien's mythology, like Sauron whom I have already told you has his own Iphone) would do with their Iphone. What would YOU do with a Palantir (and which would YOU prefer?)

By the way, I do not have an Iphone, I just think they're pretty cool phones (three of my four brothers have them).

(This post was edited by Finrod Felagund 5 on Sep 9 2009, 5:31am)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 9 2009, 1:32pm

Post #2 of 16 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Well, Palantirs can be manipulated to show incorrect things. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, I suppose an I-phone could too.

But I-Phones can do all sorts of cool stuff. I think Pippin would try to sneak a look at the I-Phone instead of a Palantir so he could watch You Tube videos all day. Movie-Legolas would definitely need to avail himself of the GPS function.

Elrond and Galadriel don't need I-Phones since they have that whole telepathy thing going.

Eowyn might cause some embarrassment to Theoden and Eomer with all her "sexting" to Aragorn. Really. Theoden might have to yank her phone privileges. Of course, Grima may have his own messages for Eowyn. Ew.

Edit: BTW, I would not choose an I-Phone. I hate even having a plain cell phone. I just have one in case there is an emergency with my kids. I don't really want to be that accessible to everyone.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Sep 9 2009, 1:34pm)

weathertop
Rohan

Sep 9 2009, 4:00pm

Post #3 of 16 (1225 views)
Shortcut
palatirs [In reply to] Can't Post

are more like video phones than i-phones, so i would chose the palantir based on this feature. but of course, there's the practicality of each to take into consideration, the size, weight, ease of carrying, ease of use...really other than being able to call across the continent to say something like:

"hey aragorn, we're heading west - just track our phone's gps"
or
"ummmm, gandalf; we've had a problem! yeah, this is Sam here. Oh, yeah, of course you knew that! i forgot about caller ID. what ringtone do you have for me? oh yeah right, the problem. yeah well it seems as if gollum DID backstab us, or rather Frodo. he's here all wrapped up in extra sticky silly string. almost as if he's been shrouded in really big spider silk, but of course that's not what it is because there's no spiders that big right? even the spiders in Bilbo's tales couldn't have done this to my Frodo!"

and of course who'd really want to play games or music in a time like that anyway? i don't even now! you know how hard it is to find just a phone? i don't need internet access (ain't paying for that plan!!), don't need to listen to music (those earbuds don't stay in me ears), can't have a camera (work in classified areas, a big no-no!). i just want a phone that can call people, maybe text in those times of dire need but its too noisy (like at a concert!)...

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Sep 9 2009, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 16 (2151 views)
Shortcut
I'd say iPhone [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess if you want to see the future the palantir... But with the GPS (which is verrry useful!) they'll never need a map again! And Merry and Pippin could've posed for pictures with the Uruks and Aragorn could text Arwen the whole time, and Frodo and Sam can use Urbanspoon to find a decent place to eat in Mordor... And Leggy and Gimli could play DoodleBuddy!

In this life you cannot go back, only foward...
~Zedd, Legend of the Seeker

Sonic#
Bree

Sep 11 2009, 10:50pm

Post #5 of 16 (2296 views)
Shortcut
It seems like Sauron would be into wiretapping. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, it seems like a palantir has a broader range, and is in some ways more like a prophetic device than one of communication. In that sense, it's just more useful!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 18 2009, 2:49am

Post #6 of 16 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Can't palantirs show larger spaces, like a hologram of... [In reply to] Can't Post

a whole section of town whereas an Iphone is limited to the surrounding area? Point one for the palantir. But if it shows incorrect things, as it did to Denethor it is, for lack of a better word, pointless.

Permanent address: Into the West

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2009, 5:05am

Post #7 of 16 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Not incorrect things... [In reply to] Can't Post

... more like the truth from Sauron's perspective. There was a battle of wills that apparently Sauron won. He let Denethor see his vast armada - and indeed this would have been intimidating to any man.

Oh, and palantir's win hands down. They not only let one look instantly long distances away but also facilitate instant communication via thought. I'm not familiar with any prophetic powers they may have.

Good... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2009, 2:11am

Post #8 of 16 (1208 views)
Shortcut
The Palantiri! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Intuitive, hands-free user interface

2. Works in areas with minimal or no cellular reception (dungeons, remote forests, dark towers, etc.)

3. Supports audio, video, instant messaging, and mind-to-mind chat

4. Virtually indestructable

5. No dropped calls

6. Does not require a 2-year contract with AT&T

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Sep 22 2009, 2:12am)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 22 2009, 9:17pm

Post #9 of 16 (1184 views)
Shortcut
No 2 year contract with A T & T ? [In reply to] Can't Post

sold! I hate them.

Permanent address: Into the West

Pansy
Bree

Sep 23 2009, 8:29pm

Post #10 of 16 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I'd take the phone [In reply to] Can't Post

The Palantirs is more like a party line - no privacy from someone else who has one.

only the strong minded are really able to direct the Palantirs - any idiot can use a phone on the other hand that would mean no more calls from sales people and paid political pollsters hmmm no more calls from those idiots .. I take it back I want a Palantir!

Pansy Bolger

give three cheers for a hobbit hero, Ill lead the way
Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurray!
and the Chorus sings...
And we are his sisters, and his cousins, and his aunts!
And we are his sisters, and his cousins, and his aunts!
His sisters and his cousins,
Whom he reckons up by dozens,
And his aunts! (song pilfered from gilbert & Sullivan)

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 28 2009, 1:44am

Post #11 of 16 (1094 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Alassea... [In reply to] Can't Post

Palantirs can lie.... I'd have to go with iPhones!

The world is quiet here.

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 15 2009, 9:29pm

Post #12 of 16 (1218 views)
Shortcut
palatirs [In reply to] Can't Post

palantirs are just plain awesomeCool

Wielder of Anduril
The Shire

Jan 13 2010, 6:32pm

Post #13 of 16 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

With iPhones, they would all get into horseriding accidents because they were trying to text and ride.

Also, someobody would inevitably forget to silence their phone during dramatic moments. Pippen would be the first of course, while hiding from the Nazgul by the road, at the Council of Elrond, in Moria, etc.

Gimli would constantly "pocket dial" other members of the fellowship, and then would infect everybody's phone with a virus after visiting "inappropriate" websites.

While under the influence of pipeweed, Merry and Pippen would call Sauron and taunt him.

While Gollum was leading Frodo and Sam to the Black Gate, Sam would continuously send texts to Frodo making fun of Gollum. They'd giggle and Gollum would say "What?", to which Sam would reply "Oh nothing."

Aragorn would use Arwen's picture as his screensaver and would wear his phone around his neck.

Frodo would try to use his phone as a "light in dark places", only to find he forgot to charge it.

Gandalf's phone would constantly blink "12:00"

Legolas would send numerous texts back to his Elf buddies about the tools he had to hang around with. How they couldn't even walk on top of snow. Then of course he'd accidentally use the wrong distribution list and send one to the Fellowship itself. Life would be awkward from that point on.

Boromir would abandon the Horn of Gondor as obsolete, figuring he could just "ring somebody" if he ever needed help. Instead of a cloven horn, Denathor would receive a cracked iPhone. He would attempt to get a free iPhone by claiming the broken phone was his and was still under warranty. Apple would tell him it was the battery and he would need to buy a new one. Out of frustration, Denathor would build a pyre and attempt to burn the phone, only to fall into the flames himself (or was he pushed???).

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2010, 11:49pm

Post #14 of 16 (1160 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are good!

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Aug 5 2010, 2:47pm

Post #15 of 16 (4715 views)
Shortcut
OH. MY. GOSH. [In reply to] Can't Post

This post is amazing. It need to go in to the 'never to be destroyed' folder. Gandalf's phone would always be blinking 12:00! That is awesome. *reads the whole thing over again for the fifth time. Still snickering.*

I'd want an iphone. They aren't as heavy as palantirs. And palantirs don't have touch screens. LOL.

I'm the Geek the comic strip refers to.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 11:29am

Post #16 of 16 (464 views)
Shortcut
palantirs [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.