Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD ~12 July, 2009~ Namarië

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 12 2009, 3:44pm

Post #1 of 12 (709 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~12 July, 2009~ Namarië Can't Post

"Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen..."
Ah! Like gold fall the leaves in the wind...

During this scene one of my favorite pieces in all 3 movies is played: “Farewell to Lorien” (You have to listen around the talking…). It was originally part of “The Great River” but was cut out and used as a bonus track on TTT soundtrack. I was surprised to find out the beautiful piece included several lines from Galadriel’s Lament in FotR.

Anywho…Today's SCOD is our last few moments in Lothlórien before the Fellowship journeys down the Anduin.

Here we have the lovely Cate Blanchett as Galadriel waving to the Fellowship as they depart.

And here is Fordo deep off in space deep in thought.

1.) Why do we see Galadriel’s ring, Nenya? Only ring bearers are supposed to see other rings…Maybe it’s supposed to be from Frodo’s point of view?
2.) Now…At this point everyone has received their gift. What about Boromir? He must be feeling very left out. I remember reading that he received a golden belt.
3.) I loved all of Elijah’s expressions. What is he thinking in image 2?
4.) Any other thoughts and/or comments!

Namarië!
.Ithilwen.

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2009, 4:10pm

Post #2 of 12 (363 views)
Shortcut
If I recall correctly, [In reply to] Can't Post

as she waves, her voiceover speaks, "Farewell, Frodo of the Shire". So I think this is his point of view, that he is the one seeing the Ring. This is another moment I lvoe, because it sticks out from when I had read the book. What did it for me was the Swan boats. Tongue

As for the second cap, Frodo is likely still absorbing all that has transpired in Lothlorien, and what he will have to do next. More than likely, he already knows that he is going to leave the Fellowship, here in this screencap. Even more interesting, Sam happens to be in this shot as well. It's very suttle, but I think right here one could guess that it would come down to Frodo and Sam heading off to Mordor, if they can read movies that well. Tongue

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 12 2009, 5:31pm

Post #3 of 12 (348 views)
Shortcut
Traveling down the river [In reply to] Can't Post

As they start down the river I get a dark feeling, the realization that there's no going back. I think it's the sensation of the current carrying you, the feeling of being 'taken' forward, carried forward, whether you want to or not, which is better than having to march yourself, particularly if you're afraid and would give anything to just go back home ... you can't, because the river is inexorably propeling you forward.

P.S. And on a completely different tack, in the category of "Things You Notice After Watching the Trilogy Way Too Many Times"... I think Galadriel's finger nails are much too long. Really bugs me Frown.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 12 2009, 7:39pm

Post #4 of 12 (353 views)
Shortcut
Sad and solemn... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Galadriel's "blessing" here, and the Virgin Mary-ish imagery of her here. Nice!

The entire sequence is done just right, for me, and makes me Ok with them cutting out the gift giving scene, as I liked how they worked the phial into this part-- it makes the bond between Frodo and Galadriel more special, to show only him getting a "parting gift". I think it's also appropriate that the focus is primarily on these two characters here, as both of them end of leaving Middle Earth to save it, and they both ultimately accept that fate. The mirrored gestures in which Galadriel kisses Frodo on the head, and then Frodo does the same to Sam, were really inspired too, as a link between the two of them.

Lovely screencaps -- thanks!

Weaver

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 14 2009, 1:02am

Post #5 of 12 (357 views)
Shortcut
I've always thought.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that Peter, Fran and Philippa took the image in the text of Aragorn "taking his [Borormir's] hand and kissing his brow" and expanded that into the cinematic trope of everyone who touches the Ring being "doomed," fated to suffer a death unlike that of mortals--whether it was being "damned" like Gollum for making the wrong choices with the Ring (but not in a larger, "cosmic" sense,as Gandlaf sees it),
-or being "blessed," like Frodo and Sam, and, interestingly, Bormomir himself (who I always thought went "over Sea" the "long way.")

Onscreen, they are linked via a kiss. A kiss of sad "blessing" and "fellowship" of the gloriously doomed. Galadriel "blesses" Frodo, who in turn "blesses" Sam. Part of the contract is that of course the Blesser cannot reveal, or doesn't have the heart to reveal, what he knows must follow.

Maybe not very Catholic (but I'm not Catholic, so who knows?Sly..but certainly very Christian.

Interesting in the FOTR EE--that little scene between Bilbo and Frodo hiding from the S.B's--Bilbo kind of "knows" it too. Everyone who is a Ring-Bearer is destined for the Sea, if he proves worthy. "Frodo.." "{pause as Frodo stares at him}.."you'll be all right." (Turns face hastily away, drinks from mug. Gaffer's home brew or not, there are some things the boy CANNOT yet know.)

I have always thought that that poignant close-up of Gandlaf at the Council of Elrond, just after Frodo says he will take the Ring, is Gandalf's sad recognition of Frodo "dooming" himself with his decision--you get the sense that even though Gandalf has long known what must happen, it's much harder to come to terms with and accept in an actual sense, watching it actualy unfold, then maybe it was back in Valinor in ages past when he had hints of such things. (I happen to think he was VERY "far-seeing" indeed.) I always thought that Gandalf was growing to love Frodo and wished he could watch him return to theShire and live a normal happy life. But the Quest must be fulfilled--and so he must "die." And there at the Council, oh it SO hard to accept. Thus, he turns away from Frod in that moment, so great is his pain.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Aug 14 2009, 1:06am)

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 2:16am

Post #6 of 12 (316 views)
Shortcut
hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the Aragorn/Boromir moment seems like a blessing to me, too -- well, at least a prayer of some kind "be at peace". Same thing that Aragorn says to the King of the Dead, too, now that I think about it -- but I guess he had no forehead to kiss!

To me, what unites them all is that they are all "farewell" moments -- but lots of other ways to see these things, too, as you point out. Interesting!

Weaver

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2009, 12:16am

Post #7 of 12 (298 views)
Shortcut
take me to the river... [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Why do we see Galadriel’s ring, Nenya? Only ring bearers are supposed to see other rings…Maybe it’s supposed to be from Frodo’s point of view?
I have never noticed that when watching "Fellowship..." and can't see it in the SCOD! Guess that means I need to pop in the DVD!
2.) Now…At this point everyone has received their gift. What about Boromir? He must be feeling very left out. I remember reading that he received a golden belt.

Talk about excluded! Yikes, that's gotta sting!
3.) I loved all of Elijah’s expressions. What is he thinking in image 2?

He looks to me as if he's trying to detach himself from the others and is not happy about it. The look in his eyes is one of the coldest I can recall.

frederica bolger
Lorien

Aug 16 2009, 9:08am

Post #8 of 12 (336 views)
Shortcut
Well, Boromir... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he's been given the most precious and dangerous gift of all, insight. Now much depends on how he uses it. Interestingly the two people most critical of elf-power, Gimli and Boromir, have been changed most. Gimli is deeply wounded by love, and interestingly, movie-Boromir seems to be deeply wounded by understanding that whatever he does, his father's rule is failing and his city will fall. Aragorn could soldier on without hope, but could Boromir have done the same?

Interestingly, in the movies, Aragorn is given his material gift by Celeborn, and immaterial gifts by Galadriel: her agreement to marry Arwen, and the name 'Elessar'. Now this is probably not as well thought out as it is the EE, but could one assume that there has been a similar heart-to-heart between Galadriel and Boromir?

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2009, 1:26pm

Post #9 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
This is one of those moments [In reply to] Can't Post

for me where everything stops. It's so beautiful and emotional... it makes me cry.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

_V_
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 1:36pm

Post #10 of 12 (309 views)
Shortcut
It always felt like there was more going on in Lorien [In reply to] Can't Post

It always felt like there was more going on in Lothlorien than you could ever hope to understand

It was just this brief glimpse of a fading world, that you never really got to know but just scratch the surface of, but then it was gone

sort of...sort of like when you're a child, a really small one, and you interact with your grandparents just enough to start to realize they had a very interesting life and were in fact "this whole other person" who had actual memories and experiences going on for 70-80 years before you....then before you can learn their entire "story" they die when you're still little

The Hobbits in Lothlorien, similarly, barely understand what's going on and just scratch the surface, just enough to be intrigued, then they're gone.

problem was that...the movie had a hard time balancing this though I think it worked: Lothlorien is supposed to be this "heaven on Earth" happy place, while at that point in the story, Gandalf just died, they have no idea what they're doing, and for that matter, they realize that even Gandalf never planned their journey out beyond "Get to Lothlorien" (in the books, they actually waste two months there...well, partially recovering from Moria, but also wasting time debating what they should do next, ultimately not deciding anything)

....the start of Two Towers actually seems to have more "purpose"/hope...when Aragorn's goal is simply "rescue Merry and Pippin" that's an..."achievable goal" as opposed to "go to Mordor to die", and then Gandalf comes back, and you realize things are starting to turn around.

Even for Frodo and Sam, they manage to capture Gollum, and use him as a guide to actually GET to Mordor's gate, when at the end of FOTR they weren't sure how to get through the Emyn Muil hills and the Dead Marshes....so it felt like "okay, we have a plan" again at the start of TTT.....post-Moria, things are doing pretty bad in FOTR.

[url"http://www.youtube.com/user/ReVolutionOfEva"]"ReVolution of Evangelion"

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

(This post was edited by _V_ on Aug 21 2009, 1:37pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 24 2009, 5:57pm

Post #11 of 12 (267 views)
Shortcut
Interesting ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, like those moments you have in life where .... they're very brief, and you know you don't understand what exactly just happened, but it registers in a way that you know, you just know, you're going to remember it for the rest of your life.

That's true ... maybe there could have been just a bit more dialogue to make this point more clear, there is a sort of dreamy, meandering feeling about being there, and then all of a sudden, they're leaving. There could have been something added to the dialogue to point out just how messed up and without-a-plan things were at this point.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 24 2009, 9:42pm

Post #12 of 12 (461 views)
Shortcut
In the book It's one month, not two. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Valaquenta".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.