Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD~ 10 July, 2009~ Never before have we clad strangers...

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 11 2009, 7:16pm

Post #1 of 11 (767 views)
Shortcut
SCOD~ 10 July, 2009~ Never before have we clad strangers... Can't Post

Hey Guys,
Sorry I'm a day late. I was out all day (*shiver* stuck up with a bunch of IT geeks) without access to a computer. Better late then never!

Anyway, today's images are:

The Fellowship receiving their super handy elven cloaks

And here we have Aragorn and Celeborn having a discussion. Ever notice the beautiful embroidery on Celeborn's robes?

1.) In the first image we get to see several elves of Lorien. What did you think of their appearance?
2.) What did you think of the lighting here?
3.) Galadriel is a prominent figure in Middle-Earth. What was you overall impression of Cate Blanchett filling the role?
4.) Any other thoughts or comments are welcome!

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2009, 2:44am

Post #2 of 11 (277 views)
Shortcut
parting ways [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) In the first image we get to see several elves of Lorien. What did you think of their appearance?
Much more uniform in their garb than the Rivendell Elves. The guards were dressed much alike. Now the civilians seem to be, too.

The misty effect is a nice break from (what is becoming the overused!) blue.
3.) Galadriel is a prominent figure in Middle-Earth. What was you overall impression of Cate Blanchett filling the role?

Certainly no complaints! She's got that 'commanding presence' thing going--ageless and regal. But able to smile and laugh charmingly.

Wish we'd seen more of the goings-on of Lothlorien!
And yes, thanks to Arwen's daughter's "Have you ever Noticed" thread, I have noticed how fine Celeborn's costume is.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 12 2009, 3:10am

Post #3 of 11 (222 views)
Shortcut
They all look like statues in that first shot.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...well, to me anyway!

That's a nice shot of both actors in the second one. I wish more of Martin Csokas' Celeborn would have made it into the TE -- I like the way he delivers his warning to Aragorn, and I think it sets the stage better for the trip down the River being dangerous from the start. Nicely ominous!

Weaver

Twit
Lorien

Aug 12 2009, 10:44am

Post #4 of 11 (243 views)
Shortcut
stop slouching [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like the Elves to stand up straight, posture is something I assumed all Elves would have.

And here we have Aragorn and Celeborn having a discussion. Ever notice the beautiful embroidery on Celeborn's robes?
Yes, I have lurked on the costume threads and find myself looking at the clothes in a whole new light, amazing.

Very nicely turned out,it makes me see Rivendell as more of a hippy commune and here as more private exclusive club, you must dress a certain way in order to get in- that sort of thing.

I like it, it seems spring like as opposed to autumnal in Rivendell.

I thought she was great, it's a shame Galadriel wasn't a bigger part in this story.

I would like to have seen more of Celeborn as well. In fact I would like to have seen alot more of all the Elves, perhaps something to hope for if any 'extra special extended versions' ever come about.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 12 2009, 4:02pm

Post #5 of 11 (203 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hippy commune vs. exclusive private club"

Laugh!! That's great, Twit, I love your perspective. Now I am picturing Elrond leading a beat session, reading aloud from books in a circle of assorted guests .... while the Lothlorien elves look down their sculpted noses at all these inexplicably short and non-blonde people Sly.

*exits still laughing*

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2009, 4:04pm

Post #6 of 11 (205 views)
Shortcut
It's a very mystical shot ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It adds to the mystery, or moreso the magic of Lothlorien. It's almost dreamlike, and even as they depart, it maintains its majesty. Nice angle as well, as the Fellowship is given their cloaks. It's also significant as it is the last send-off to the south, the deep breath before the plunge you could say. Tongue

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 12 2009, 4:47pm

Post #7 of 11 (206 views)
Shortcut
Uniformity [In reply to] Can't Post

Beyond the practical uses of the cloaks (camouflage), now that they are all wearing the same outfit, given to them all at one time as in a ceremony, it's as if they've become soldiers in an army.

I wonder if Gandalf was there, if they would have given him a cloak as well.

The appearance of the Elves in the Prologue is so different from their appearance in the rest of the trilogy. They were so powerful and formidable in the prologue battle ... here they are so ... wispy. Mysterious and dangerous yes, but so remote. You can see the fading, even without being told of it.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 12 2009, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 11 (208 views)
Shortcut
They do give Gandalf a cloak! [In reply to] Can't Post

When he returns in TTT and during his "exorcism" of Theoden he's wearing his very own Fellowship cloak. His is slightly different from the others' though. It looks lighter in color and covers more of the front part of his body (to hide his white robes!). I always thought that it's a pity he doesn't wear it through the rest of the movies.

You can find a couple of shots of it when I talked about the Fellowship cloaks HERE.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 12 2009, 5:33pm

Post #9 of 11 (210 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that was a Fellowship cloak! Their's always appeared greenish to me, and his always looked grey-ish, but absolutely, now that you pointed it out, that is a Fellowship cloak! Neat Smile!

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 12 2009, 9:31pm

Post #10 of 11 (242 views)
Shortcut
What lovely pictures... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never took much notice of the Elves, but this screencap gives me chance to have a better look!! I like the way the first Elf is bending down his/her head..almost in an inquiring sort of look of wonder at these unusual guests.

The first picture looks a little too bright. If I don't 'think' about it, it doesn't bother me. But, really.....it looks like someone has switched some football stadium lights on!!

But the second picture is lovely - almost heavenly. (Celeborn's robes are lovely)

I liked her a lot. Her facial features, her voice, the way she carried herself etc., for me she played the character well.

Artanis

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2009, 1:16pm

Post #11 of 11 (367 views)
Shortcut
What I found interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

is that Frodo's not in this lineup... unless he's past Gimli at the end/beginning of the line. I think he's off with Galadriel as she's giving him the phial.

I love this scene that seems to be the flip-side of their first time in Caras Galadon lined up and scrutinized.

And this shot of Aragorn and Celeborn while Celeborn gives Aragorn some vital information... and weaponry... is something I think is too long coming. The men-folk talk logistics, tactics and weapons whilst Galadriel talks to Aragon of things of the heart. Information just as vital :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.