Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Why am I getting security certification errors?

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 4 2009, 12:37am

Post #1 of 19 (394 views)
Shortcut
Why am I getting security certification errors? Can't Post

I get this pop up when I view the boards today.

To help protect your security Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certification errors.

The only thing (as far as I can tell) that it is not showing is an ad from WETA.
https://www.wetanz.com/collectibles/affiliate_show_banner.php?ref=7&affiliate_banner_id=25
I get the ole dreaded red X instead of the ad.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 4 2009, 12:41am

Post #2 of 19 (238 views)
Shortcut
I was just about to ask about this [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been getting the same error. I wouldn't have thought much about it, but it popped up for this site on my computer at work this afternoon, as well.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 4 2009, 1:07am

Post #3 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
I just had this too [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried restarting the computer and then visited many other sites but it only occurs here. I get this:

"To help protect security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website with security certificate errors"

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2009, 1:26am

Post #4 of 19 (211 views)
Shortcut
I am getting it also -- over and over! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 4 2009, 2:20am

Post #5 of 19 (276 views)
Shortcut
My pop-up added [In reply to] Can't Post

that the site has security certification, but the certification was out of date.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 4 2009, 2:42pm

Post #6 of 19 (215 views)
Shortcut
Here's what's going on [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's nothing you're doing wrong. The non-technical explanation is when the weta banner ad appears, your browser asks the weta website to validate that it's actually coming from weta, and the id that does that has expired. So the browser rejects it.

Technical explanation follows.

The web has a protocol called 'SSL' (which stands for secure sockets layer). This protocol allows data to be encrypted and transmitted across the internet with a higher level of security-- if you're using your credit card somewhere to pay for something online, for instance, the site handles the information through SSL.

The way SSL works is that there are companies out there (I work for one, but the most common one people have heard of is Verisign) known as Certificate Authorities. They issue digital certificates (certs) that work with the various browsers; these certs are something like a passport or driver's license-- they validate the identity of the company in question (in this case Weta): that they are who they claim to be. It keeps you from going to a site that's pretending to be your bank and get your information from you, and so on. So they're pretty handy things. But, like passports and driver's licenses, they expire periodically, and need to be renewed. It looks like Weta hasn't gotten theirs renewed yet, so it's generating errors.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Elven
Valinor

Aug 4 2009, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that Inferno ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered what was happening.

Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2009, 4:33pm

Post #8 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that explanation! [In reply to] Can't Post

It helps to know what is causing it.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2009, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 19 (188 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting popups, too, and boy are they a pain! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not getting them at work, just at home. The computer at work kills the popup and just leaves a message at the top of the screen about what happened. At home I have to close the popup box every time.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 4 2009, 5:49pm

Post #10 of 19 (195 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...I'm not getting them using Firefox. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 4 2009, 7:43pm

Post #11 of 19 (187 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Inferno! [In reply to] Can't Post

I alerted Calisuri last night as he's the one who manages the ads. I'm sure he'll pass the word onto Weta.

Thanks for the technical explanation, as always. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 4 2009, 8:22pm

Post #12 of 19 (178 views)
Shortcut
neither am I but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's because I have adblock and it's blocking the miscreant ad.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 4 2009, 9:09pm

Post #13 of 19 (192 views)
Shortcut
Hi Magpie, are you seeing the WETA ad?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 4 2009, 10:24pm

Post #14 of 19 (233 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see 'Sponsored by Sideshow Collectibles, Got News? Click Here". But that's the only hint of an ad I see.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 4 2009, 10:45pm

Post #15 of 19 (306 views)
Shortcut
The only ad I see is for Red Carpet Tours. [In reply to] Can't Post

Then there is the red X at the bottom of this page.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 7 2009, 4:19pm

Post #16 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
Just got one. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2009, 9:01am

Post #17 of 19 (180 views)
Shortcut
Heh, hopefully Weta fixes it soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

I only get the red X of doom myself for their ads, and clinking on their ad goes nowhere but a non-existent webpage. Not very profitable for advertising Laugh

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 8 2009, 11:30pm

Post #18 of 19 (173 views)
Shortcut
The Red Carpet one seems to be the one triggering the warning for me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 9 2009, 2:20am

Post #19 of 19 (243 views)
Shortcut
I can see it just fine, no warning bells or whistles. \ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.