Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries The Realms of Middle-Earth*** (part 7)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2009, 10:11am

Post #1 of 13 (340 views)
Shortcut
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries The Realms of Middle-Earth*** (part 7) Can't Post

Here we are at the last of our travels: Silverlode and Amon Hen.

To find the Design Galleries, put in Disk 3 of FOTR EE. Choose Designing and Building Middle-Earth, then Design Galleries, The Realms of Middle-Earth.

When you choose the realm you want to look at, you will see a page of explanation. If you choose Slideshow, it will step automatically through your choice. There is audio commentary with some of the choices which are marked with a "wax" seal. If you want to spend more time looking at the images, you can choose to step through the pages of images one at a time.

I am not really going to be asking questions in these discussions. If you have a comment you would like to make, or a question that might make things clearer for you, please post it.

Silverlode:

First we see a drawing of the boats leaving Lothlorien. I dont know who drew this.

Next are two photos of the boats. One with Aragorn and one with Legolas.

These boats dont look comfortable for a long trip. I do see, though, that Legolas was given bundles of arrows to go with his new bow.

Here is a shot of the bridge. They really made it look Elven. It would be a great place for a wedding!

Our last shot of the Silverlode is the beautiful swan boat of Galadriel. I wanted to see Celeborn sitting in the boat with Galadriel standing behind him!

Our very last stop on our tour is Amon Hen.

First is a concept drawing of the Seeing Seat. I did like Alan Lees design with the eagles. Next is a photo of the finished Seeing Seat. On the bottom row is the large face that Frodo is by when he is confronted by Boromir in the movie. I REALLY would like to have something like that in my woods. I wonder how long it would take for the public at large to discover it. We know that people walk through our woods sometimes. Last is a concept painting of the Falls of Rauros done by Jeremy Bennett. Ill bet you could hear that waterfall a long ways off.

Well, our time meeting the people and seeing the sights of Middle Earth is over. I never really paid too much attention to the galleries before I started this post, but now I know I will be visiting them often!

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 5 2009, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 13 (92 views)
Shortcut
Row, row, row your boat... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are GREAT shots of the Elven boats! It's fascinating to think of them built in 2 scales, but they do look uncomfortable.

I wish they could have included the scenes with both Amon Hen (when Frodo confronts a Nazgul on a Fell Beast) and the boats in the River (when they Company's attacked by Orcs along the shoreline).

Thank you SO MUCH for your most excellent coverage of the Realms of Middle-earth appendices. I have to admit that I've avoided watching a lot of the appendices to stretch out my discoveries of the films when I need a fix. But you and the others have definitely got me itching for some quiet time and getting into them :) CHEERS!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2009, 3:51pm

Post #3 of 13 (87 views)
Shortcut
RoMe 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

I did put in Disc 3 and look at just a bit of 'Realms' this weekend. Lots of good stuff to browse through there.

The book/maps definetly help me get better oriented at this point--which river is which, directions, and so on. I suppose these boats were built for speed and manueverability rather than comfort. Looks as if the Fellowship travelled quite a long ways down the Anduin.

The fallen statue (what we see of it) --more than anything else shown so far, really brought out the *oldness* of this land, for me. More so than the Argonath (maybe because this still stood?). Seeing it just lying in the woods--undisturbed, forgotten-- after how long had me wondering who lived here?

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 5 2009, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 13 (85 views)
Shortcut
Love that big ruined face! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the trolls, I did not realize just what that big thing was in the background on my first few viewings -- when it came into focus for me I thought it was brilliant. Fallen kings, Boromir's temptation, etc..nicely symbolic!

I wish they had shown us more than just a glimpse of the Seat of Seeing, as the design is very intriquing. It would also have been great to see Aragorn's moment of of trying to get a vision of his path up there from the books, and Frodo's full vision of "war everywhere" -- ah well, maybe in the 200 part mini-series in a few years.

The swan boat looks beautifully designed, but when you see Galadriel actually in it, it looks too much like an Elvish amusement park ride to me!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2009, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 13 (84 views)
Shortcut
Boats [In reply to] Can't Post

The actors said that the boats were hard to handle. I'll bet the oversized ones for the Hobbits were worse!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2009, 7:01pm

Post #6 of 13 (81 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

from the first time I saw that head in the woods, it was a favorite of mine. I keep wishing there was some way we could make one!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2009, 7:04pm

Post #7 of 13 (88 views)
Shortcut
Elvish amusement park ride! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooo, I want to go to that park!

I agree about not getting to see enough of the seat of seeing. I think less distortion and more of what Frodo saw would have been nice.

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Jul 7 2009, 4:14pm

Post #8 of 13 (74 views)
Shortcut
Was the bridge used? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it's functional? And how wide it needed to be to cast that nice double shadow across the water. ... It looks as though it could be super light and supported by stilts in the pond.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 7:58pm

Post #9 of 13 (68 views)
Shortcut
As I understand it . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

the bridge was already there and they just dressed it up a bit. I had read that when the big flood hit the bridge was destroyed.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 7 2009, 8:19pm

Post #10 of 13 (73 views)
Shortcut
Those 'canoes' [In reply to] Can't Post

look rather short. The shorter versions are for maneuverability, say in rapids, but they are harder to keep on a straight line as in open water. This would be much more so is the paddler has not the ability to paddle just on one side The trouble with such craft is that they are designed for speed, being able to pass with the least turbulence as it is with high speed cars.
Comfort is rather compromised having always to think about balance and there are just so many minor position changes. I have been on long canoe trips and it is hard to get used to, if one ever does.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2009, 11:44pm

Post #11 of 13 (79 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never been in a canoe and have every intention of keeping it that way!

Elven
Valinor

Jul 10 2009, 12:43am

Post #12 of 13 (50 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Alcarcalime ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the boats and bridge and the overall design of the parting scene was very etheral.
They did an amazing job of the bridge and the boats. Its a wonder no one fell in though - I know they had a lot of trouble steering them,
The seeing seat of Amon Hen is really beautiful, and I agree its a pity we didnt see more of it or the view from the top looking out.

Thankyou so much for such a great series from the galleries, its been wonderful - I really appreciate all your hard work and dedication to the threads, they've been awesome Alcarcalime. Heart

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wont write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2009, 1:12am

Post #13 of 13 (116 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you enjoyed it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly learned a lot from such close scrutiny of the Galleries.

When I looked closely at all the work that went into these movies, I am so appreciative of Peter and his vision and all the people who worked so hard to bring it about!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.