Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Realms of Middle-Earth*** (part 6)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 10:46am

Post #1 of 11 (226 views)
Shortcut
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Realms of Middle-Earth*** (part 6) Can't Post

The long dark of Moria and the refuge of Lothlorien:

To find the Design Galleries, put in Disk 3 of FOTR EE. Choose Designing and Building Middle-Earth, then Design Galleries, The Realms of Middle-Earth.

When you choose the realm you want to look at, you will see a page of explanation. If you choose Slideshow, it will step automatically through your choice. There is audio commentary with some of the choices which are marked with a "wax" seal. If you want to spend more time looking at the images, you can choose to step through the pages of images one at a time.

I am not really going to be asking questions in these discussions. If you have a comment you would like to make, or a question that might make things clearer for you, please post it.

Here we are, we have arrived at Moria.

First are a group of four drawings. Alan Lee did the top and bottom left-hand ones. The bottom one has an audio commentary by Alan Lee. You can also see Alan Lee’s drawings in The Art of the Fellowship of the Rings on pages 60 and 63. The bottom right-hand drawing of the quad is by Jeremy Bennett. I don’t know who drew the top right-hand one. The photo on the right is of two statues that I hadn’t seen in the movie. We watched them just recently and because we were looking for them, my husband spotted these just as the Fellowship entered the mines. Funny, once you know something is there, it stands right out!

After creeping through Moria, we come to Lothlorien!

Here are two views of the houses in the Mallorn trees. It is ethereal and beautiful, but I have a fear of heights and would be afraid of falling off those flets.

Here is a photo of a flet. I can see me catching a toe and doing a swan dive into the ground.

Here is Alan Lee’s drawing of Galadriel’s Mirror and the actual piece. Wouldn’t that make a fancy bird bath?

They didn’t show our intrepid Fellowship eating in Lothlorien, but I found this picture of some food. It looks like quite a feast. The reason there are solid-colored corners is that this picture was at a disturbing angle and didn’t look appetizing, so I rotated the picture and filled in the corners with solid colors.

Now that we have had a nice rest in Lothlorien, we move on the Silverlode and Amon Hen. The Gallery calls it Silverlode and Anduin, but I couldn’t find any pictures of Anduin.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

frederica bolger
Lorien

Jul 3 2009, 11:45am

Post #2 of 11 (66 views)
Shortcut
Those dwarf statues... [In reply to] Can't Post

... look as if they should be in the British Museum! Somewhere between Babylon and Niniveh. I didn't know the Dwarves were supposed to look Assyrian... perhaps it's the luxuriant beards?

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 11 (55 views)
Shortcut
I never thought of that. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I think because I was so overwhelmed with the statues and that I had never seen them all the times I watched the movies.

You are right about the Assyrian look.

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 6:51pm

Post #4 of 11 (46 views)
Shortcut
RoMe 6... [In reply to] Can't Post

Huh. I don't remember the statues either. Long weekend=possible viewing coming up!

Oh those flets! Nice to look at but I am one that would worry about tripping, tumbling off the side, too. Lothlorien is one of the locations that took my breath away in the theater. I suppose some combination of the music, lights, gracefulness of the place.

I recently gave away my "bunny" bird bath. Wonder how difficult it'd be to make one based on the one we see here. Heavy I bet!

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2009, 8:05pm

Post #5 of 11 (48 views)
Shortcut
I must be part moth... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I watch the films, the lights in Lothlorien distract me so much I can never really get a sense of anything else about the setting. These images that you posted really help me to appreciate the artistry of this place!.

Back to the lights again -- I think they give Movie-Lorien a much more "fantastic" sense then the way the place comes across to me in the books. My image was always of a more natural, tree-house city, kind of a very highly evolved version of an Ewok village, to mix my movies...the flets in the film look more like they are made of plexiglass to me, but I can see from the shot you included that they are not see through!

The tables look a bit odd to me too -- kind of like putting your dining room table outside -- but I guess they are just very, very elegant picnic tables!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 11 (40 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had to watch to see the statues, also.

Lothlorien was beautiful -- except for the stair case they took at first to go up to Galadriel's & Celeborn's flet. It looks like, every time I see it, that the tree is rotating!

My husband keeps trying to figure out how to build a bird bath that looks like that base.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 11:02pm

Post #7 of 11 (42 views)
Shortcut
I think . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

in the book they are more like an Ewok village. But, you have to admit, Peter's Lothlorien is beguiling!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2009, 1:53am

Post #8 of 11 (56 views)
Shortcut
Geez! Lookit that picture of Dwarrowdelf [In reply to] Can't Post

the lower center one. You can see what it was like before the devastation. I just love the sketches in these appendices.

And the flet!! That's the one Haldir takes the Fellowship to. You can see the quivers of arrows in the back.

Lothlorien is so much more than I ever imagined when reading the book. It looks like fine crystal... like chandeliers.

Yeah... we don't really see the Fellowship eating. The closest to seeing the food that was laid out for them was when Aragorn walks past those tables and looks down at them on his way to talk with Boromir.

I'm so delighted with these screencaps you're getting they fantastic :D

You've put so much work into these posts. Thank you SO MUCH!! :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2009, 9:51am

Post #9 of 11 (38 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had noticed Aragorn looking down, but I never knew what he was looking at!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2009, 2:37pm

Post #10 of 11 (41 views)
Shortcut
I always found it interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

when he glances down and keeps walking to a very reclusive Boromir. It's like he's quickly taking note that the food's untouched (first sign of a problem) and talks lightly to Boromir... not realizing how distressed our Gondorian is. I really love this scene with them. So much is revealed, and we never see Boromir so vulnerable as he is with Aragorn... who you'd think he'd be guarded with and not appealing to.

sample

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2009, 3:25pm

Post #11 of 11 (75 views)
Shortcut
I would think. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

that Boromir would only talk to another fighting man -- someone who would understand the stresses he is under.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.