Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Realms of Middle-Earth*** (part 2)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 10:26am

Post #1 of 18 (400 views)
Shortcut
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Realms of Middle-Earth*** (part 2) Can't Post

We are going to be going to The Shire! My husband’s favorite place.

To find the Design Galleries, put in Disk 3 of FOTR EE. Choose Designing and Building Middle-Earth, then Design Galleries, The Realms of Middle-Earth.

When you choose the realm you want to look at, you will see a page of explanation. If you choose Slideshow, it will step automatically through your choice. There is audio commentary with some of the choices which are marked with a "wax" seal. If you want to spend more time looking at the images, you can choose to step through the pages of images one at a time.

I am not really going to be asking questions in these discussions. If you have a comment you would like to make, or a question that might make things clearer for you, please post it.

Here is a wonderful little picture by John Howe of Bucklebury Ferry. This picture is in The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring, also. I have found it nice to be able to pick out the pictures I like and then to look in the book and be able to study them at length.

Here is a picture of the interior of the Green Dragon also by John Howe.

This drawing of Gandalf’s fireworks is also by John Howe. Evidently I like his drawings, because I didn’t know who did them until I started researching them. Next to the drawing is a photo of some of the fireworks in two scales.

Since there are fireworks, there must be a party nearby and I have found the food. Was the food real at the party in the movie? Can you imagine getting to be in the party scene and getting to eat this wonderful looking food?

Here is a photo of the inside of one of the houses in The Shire. Does anyone know which house it is? It must be on location because there was never any mention of a set of anything but Bag End in the studio.

Here is a painting of someone who looks like Frodo walking through The Shire. I think it looks so much like the part of Ohio I live in (except for the mountains!). I would love to see the original of this Paul Lasaine painting.

Tomorrow we get to look at the designs for Bag End!

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 1:53pm

Post #2 of 18 (110 views)
Shortcut
you make me lonesome for Ohio... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always liked the area around Mohican State Park, and Malabar Farm. The painting you included reminds me of that region.

Ohio is one of those states with a little bit of a lot of different types of terrain. If Jackson had been a Buckeye, he could probably have found all of the outdoor locations he needed for the films in Ohio as well...

I've never seen that hobbit-house interior before -- looks rather upper crust to me. Either that, or they were expecting company....

And that food does look great -- and real!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 2:25pm

Post #3 of 18 (106 views)
Shortcut
Ohio [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohio is one of those states with a little bit of a lot of different types of terrain. If Jackson had been a Buckeye, he could probably have found all of the outdoor locations he needed for the films in Ohio as well...

Well, I know where you could find the Shire, I guess a strip mine would do wonderfully for Mordor and perhaps a latter Isengard, but we don't have any volcanos and don't know about Bree or Ithilian. I guess you could put up a Minas Tirith in the flat western part of Ohio with LOTS of computer graphic help -- no mountains, just the foothills of the Applachians.

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 2:34pm

Post #4 of 18 (110 views)
Shortcut
well, we could always set the Cuyahoga River on fire again... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's almost better than a volcano -- the quest could have been to throw the Ring in the River of Doom...

And now that you have me thinking...

Mt. Adams in Cincinnati would make a great Minas Tirith setting...

There are some very magical places in the Granville area that were always my "Ithilien"...and there were two old stagecoach inns in that town that would make for a good Prancing Pony, plus nearby Roscoe Village would be a great Bree....

Maybe we should start lobbying now to have the remake in 20 years be made in Ohio!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 2:41pm

Post #5 of 18 (126 views)
Shortcut
You haven't been to Roscoe Village for a while. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

have you? It has changed. All the wonderful little shops are trendy boutiques. The Inn and restaurant are now a technical college. It is all very ordinary. It's a shame; it used to be one of our favorite places to go. It's only about 30 miles away from us.

I've never been to Cincinnati -- I don't think the airport in Kentucky counts!

Actually, I haven't been to a lot of places in Ohio. Just what I need to go through to get somewhere else. West on I70 to go to points west and west on U.S. 30 to go to Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I know much more about California -- that my home state. Now they have some nifty volcanoes. I love Mt. Shasta.

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 3:38pm

Post #6 of 18 (105 views)
Shortcut
ah, pity... [In reply to] Can't Post

R. Village was quite extraordinary when I lived in those parts.

I live in NY now -- everything is much bigger and farther apart. I miss my cozy Ohio sometimes...

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 7:37pm

Post #7 of 18 (95 views)
Shortcut
That's progress for you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven
Valinor

Jul 1 2009, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 18 (87 views)
Shortcut
The Buckleberry Ferry ... [In reply to] Can't Post

changed in the set, as here in the drawing the ferry would have pulled up alongside the wharf - which would not have been so dramatic when the Hobbits had to run and launch the ferry away from the shore with the ferry being shunted to the wharf inline - though I can see that JH's wharf is more practical when you're not being chased by Black Riders Wink

I wonder if that is the interior of Mr Proudfoots home - he seemed a bit of a house proud Hobbit.

The food - Im thinking some might be real (for eating purposes) and the majority is fake - there seemed to be more dancing and beer drinking than eating - maybe the food were props like the flaming styrofoam birthday cake. Cool

I bet there were some comments about the firecrackers Shocked Blush Smile - sorry couldn't resist saying that Laugh

and the painting! WoW! Its beautiful isn't it!

Thanks Alcarcalime Heart
Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2009, 12:46am

Post #9 of 18 (81 views)
Shortcut
I would have like to think of . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

the food all being real. Can you imagine working in that scene, getting to eat all the food you can stuff inside yourself?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 2 2009, 4:02am

Post #10 of 18 (90 views)
Shortcut
In Ohio, as in Tolkien's Shire, you can't see any mountains. [In reply to] Can't Post

It ought to be true in Jackson's Shire too, given that the map shown early in the film.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us June 28-July 5 for "The Gathering of the Clouds".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 2 2009, 4:02am

Post #11 of 18 (83 views)
Shortcut
There's a red moon rising...? // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us June 28-July 5 for "The Gathering of the Clouds".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2009, 10:56am

Post #12 of 18 (94 views)
Shortcut
I certainly thought so, [In reply to] Can't Post

but perhaps if you live in New Zealand, you can't imagine a scene without mountains.

squire
Valinor

Jul 2 2009, 2:07pm

Post #13 of 18 (83 views)
Shortcut
Compression? [In reply to] Can't Post

Compression is given somewhere as one of the things script adaptations of books have to do. By putting the mountains on the horizon of the Shire, the movie-makers are literalizing Bilbo's and Frodo's wanderlust.

I didn't like it when I saw it, but I understand why they did it.

I'm glad they used the Middle-earth map as little as they did, since they had to violate it several times for similar reasons of pace and exposition.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 2 2009, 2:44pm

Post #14 of 18 (82 views)
Shortcut
..Rolling down to Parma and Lake Erie...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2009, 1:37am

Post #15 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
*scrambles for disc 3* *clicks on Designing and Building Middle-earth* [In reply to] Can't Post

*twitching* *Design Galleries!!!* *REALMS OF MIDDLE-EARTH!* Ahhhhhhhhh....

I can't help it. I love every little stitch of the Shire. Those sketches, and the food! I'll bet designing the Shire was so much fun! And I'm delighted that after all their years of bringing Middle-earth to life... Howe and Lee HAD to feel like they were in heaven to go from sketch to reality. So Much Fun!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 3 2009, 1:44am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 10:11am

Post #16 of 18 (74 views)
Shortcut
Certainly, [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt that Alan Lee and John Howe really enjoyed sitting at the Hobbiton site sketching away! Bringing something like the Shire to life has to have been a wonderful experience.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 4 2009, 8:46pm

Post #17 of 18 (72 views)
Shortcut
The Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

My second favourite after Imladris Smile

That drawing of Bucklebury Ferry looks so much brighter and friendlier than what we got to see in the movie, with the Ringwraith pursuing the Hobbits!

It's weird to think that they made even the fireworks in two scales!

Hmmm ... all that food makes me hungry again. It looks mostly quite real and would be a veritable feast. But - when they had to film a few takes of each scene, I suspect the decoration would have been reduced quite a bit between takes if all that food was real Wink

And the last picture looks so idyllic ... it makes me want to explore the landscape myself.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2009, 7:40am

Post #18 of 18 (84 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the last picture looks so idyllic ... it makes me want to explore the landscape myself.

Wouldn't it be ideal to be able to just step into that painting and walk through that landscape?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.