The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
NZ vs ME

Fruit of Laurelin
Rivendell

Jun 27 2009, 12:51am

Post #1 of 5 (4632 views)
Shortcut
NZ vs ME Can't Post

The people of New Zealand, armed with machine guns, bombs, bullet proof vests and other modern technology.

The good guys of Middle Earth with their superior knowledge of war, more soldiers and inspiring leaders, Insatri and magic.

In a timeframe after the ring has been destroyed, the elves have not left middle earth, but there's been enough time for everyine to recover from the losses of WOTR. They fight on a large island halfway between ME and NZ. Everyone's involved, civilians, soldiers, the fire brigade, kittens... There's some trees, hills, ponds etc but no man made buildings. ME have eagles and NZ has two rescue helicopters.

Who will win?

Sonic#
Bree

Jun 27 2009, 3:20am

Post #2 of 5 (959 views)
Shortcut
Like bringing a knife to a gunfight. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless the trolls have very tough skin or the Istari can weave some enchantment to slow down bullets, I see NZ as most likely to win. Machine guns would plow down armies the likes of those from Middle Earth, and each time the army would storm a bunker, there would be heavy losses. I'm not saying the Middle-Earth people wouldn't give a good fight with their bows, war machinery, magic, and sheer audacity. But with the exception of small bands like those of Faramir, they are ill-equipped for modern war. And even those bands would have to be careful with night-vision goggles and infrared.

The Eagles would have some success, especially against the two helicopters. But I think that overall they would only be able to harass the ground forces, and would be unable to get too close due to the guns.

Fruit of Laurelin
Rivendell

Jun 27 2009, 9:20pm

Post #3 of 5 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Let's make this more even, shall we? [In reply to] Can't Post

What about it's a contest to see what side could kill, say, 5000 people first? Since NZ has a load of civilians with no war experience, wouldn't that make it a lot easier for ME to win?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2009, 5:02am

Post #4 of 5 (4902 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
ME have eagles and NZ has two rescue helicopters.

That's about the total complement of our airforce right there. ;)

I call it a draw - instead of fighting, the NZers would keep asking the ME-ers what it was like to work with Peter Jackson, bugging the heck out of them until the Istari et al just turned around for home to get some peace...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 3 2013, 8:45pm

Post #5 of 5 (141 views)
Shortcut
middle earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.