Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Peoples of Middle-Earth*** (part 6)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2009, 10:28am

Post #1 of 15 (263 views)
Shortcut
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries – The Peoples of Middle-Earth*** (part 6) Can't Post

To find the Design Galleries, put in Disk 3 of FOTR EE. Choose Designing and Building Middle-Earth, then Design Galleries, The Peoples of Middle-Earth.

When you choose the people you want to look at, you will see a page of explanation. If you choose Slideshow, it will step automatically through your choice. There is audio commentary with some of the choices which are marked with a "wax" seal. If you want to spend more time looking at the images, you can choose to step through the pages of images one at a time.

I am not really going to be asking questions in these discussions. If you have a comment you would like to make, or a question that might make things clearer for you, please post it.

Today we visit Rivendell and take a look at Elrond and Arwen.

Elrond:

First we see a drawing by Daniel Falconer showing Elrond with a banner and wearing his armor. Next is the costume shot that matches that drawing. The next two show a costume department drawing and the costume that matches. On the bottom row is a costume drawing and two shots of the costume. The last picture shows the detail on the sleeve.

I really wish they would have had a picture in the gallery of the strange hairdo they designed for Elrond to wear to Aragorn’s coronation. It does show up somewhere in the appendices for ROTK. From the back it is really nice, but from the front, he has all these little knobs of braids sticking out. I think Hugo Weaving was really happy that they changed it.

Arwen:

In the first picture, Arwen is wearing what I call "the kiss-off" dress. It is what she is wearing when Aragorn tells her it is over and she should just run off to the boat and leave Middle-Earth. In the middle is a shot of the riding coat she wears when she takes Frodo and tries to keep him away from the Black Riders. Last is a costume department drawing for a costume for Arwen.

Lothlorien is tomorrow’s place to visit and Galadriel and Celeborn will be the last gallery we will visit this week.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 26 2009, 7:03pm

Post #2 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
The robes [In reply to] Can't Post

look great. Once again, I'm amazed about the level of detail one barely recognises on the screen at all, like that sleeve of Elrond's robe.

Though I can't help wonder sometimes how practical these floor-length robes are. I'd probably need some practice to not keep tripping over my own robe at every turn Wink And how do you keep them from becoming dirty and frayed from dragging on the ground? But anyway, they're great to look at.

Ah yes, that hairdo. I remember that picture in the appendices and am glad they changed it, too. Elrond looked just ridiculous with it.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2009, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 15 (59 views)
Shortcut
Ah, [In reply to] Can't Post

And how do you keep them from becoming dirty and frayed from dragging on the ground? But anyway, they're great to look at.

That's what Elrond's ring really did!Evil

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 2:35am

Post #4 of 15 (56 views)
Shortcut
not crazy about those sash/belt things... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it helped to make the outfit more fitted, but I like the loose, flowing sense of the robes better -- feels more "elvish" somehow, than the belts, which look constraining to me...

I also like that Elvish banner in the first Elrond shot...in the second one, it looks like he traded it in for a blue tent!

Thanks for the comparison shots of the drawings and then the final costume; the look is so similar, it reminds me of the way Jackson's final film resembled the original storyboards. Which makes me wonder -- was Daniel Falconer the main "costume storyboarder" for Ngila, like Christian Rivers was for Peter? Or did many different artists contribute their idea of the "look" for Ngila to follow?

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 2:28pm

Post #5 of 15 (49 views)
Shortcut
Belts [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought of it as being a more formal time with the fancy sashes.

I don't know who did Ngila's artwork, but some of it was hers. She didn't make the faces look exactly like the actor's, but her drawings were very nice. It's also possible that when she drew some of them, the actors hadn't been hired.

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 3:53pm

Post #6 of 15 (46 views)
Shortcut
that makes sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ngila just "looks" like an artist -- I'm sure she could create in all kind of mediums! Thanks!

Still don't like the sashes, though! Smile

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 29 2009, 4:22pm

Post #7 of 15 (47 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling with the drawings [In reply to] Can't Post

that Ngila did a lot of the drawings for the "soft" costumes and WETA's artists (like Daniel Falconer) did most of the drawings for the armor.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 7:43pm

Post #8 of 15 (39 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you don't have to like anything you don't want to!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2009, 7:47pm

Post #9 of 15 (42 views)
Shortcut
It seems like it . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

since a lot of the armor drawings in the Galleries have Weta people's names on them. A lot of the fabric costume pictures have Ngila's mark on them.

Elven
Valinor

Jun 29 2009, 11:03pm

Post #10 of 15 (36 views)
Shortcut
I liked that first banner ... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was really nice!
Yet the tent top banners were elegant too Smile

I look at alot of these pictures of the character in costume and it amazes me the amount of effort that goes into each and every persons transition - there's so much work there to get exactly the right look - long before the actor ever even gets into the costume.
I do like the sashes though - sorry weaver Wink

but that hair design that Elrond nearly had ... Im so glad they changed it - it took him straight out of Rivendell and put him in Osaka Tongue

Great pics Alcarcalime - as always, thankyou so much!
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 1:11am

Post #11 of 15 (35 views)
Shortcut
Boy, does the hard work ever come through. [In reply to] Can't Post

The time they spent designing these movies shows the value of taking your time and doing it right.

Im so glad they changed it - it took him straight out of Rivendell and put him in Osaka

Yes! I have been thinking to myself that the hairdo reminds me of something -- thanks for pointing that out.

batik
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 3:36am

Post #12 of 15 (34 views)
Shortcut
PoMe 6: Elrond and Arwen [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, this is just about an argument in favor of the HD/Blue-Ray stuff. I wonder how much detail is really noticeable through that technology! ***surely I know someone that has this stuff***

I also wonder what, if any, meaning is tied to the use of the obi-like sashes? Do the other Rivendell elves wear them? Are there certain instances that warrant the wearing of?

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 12:04pm

Post #13 of 15 (27 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

it seemed to me that the sashes were more for a formal occasion. You know, like a necktie!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2009, 12:12am

Post #14 of 15 (24 views)
Shortcut
The subtle contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

of Elrond and Arwen's earth-tones to Galadriel and Celeborn's water-tones are so complimentary! The flowing, free, elegant style of the Elves is so soothing and majestic. Even Legolas' travelling clothes scream synergy of earth, wind, and water.

What's striking for me is that these same qualities are found in the Hobbits' clothes. I guess what really makes the difference is scale. Elves are tall, so more flowing. Hobbits are short, so more grounded :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2009, 12:20am

Post #15 of 15 (35 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting observation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.