Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries Ė The Peoples of Middle-Earth*** (part 2)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2009, 10:17am

Post #1 of 18 (830 views)
Shortcut
***FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Design Galleries Ė The Peoples of Middle-Earth*** (part 2) Can't Post

To find the Design Galleries, put in Disk 3 of FOTR EE. Choose Designing and Building Middle-Earth, then Design Galleries, The Peoples of Middle-Earth.

When you choose the people you want to look at, you will see a page of explanation. If you choose Slideshow, it will step automatically through your choice. There is audio commentary with some of the choices which are marked with a "wax" seal. If you want to spend more time looking at the images, you can choose to step through the pages of images one at a time.

I am not really going to be asking questions in these discussions. If you have a comment you would like to make, or a question that might make things clearer for you, please post it.

Today we spend some time looking at the people of The Last Alliance. They include Elendil, Gil-Galad, Isildur, The Numenoreans, and Gil-Galadís Army.

Elendil:

Here, I included a drawing of Elendil in his armor drawn by Ben Wootten. I thought it looked like a king. The next picture is Elendilís armor and next to that is what is labeled "body armor." In the bottom row is Elendilís helmet. I always had trouble with Tolkienís description of the helmets. He doesnít say whether they are real sea bird wings or a representation. I liked the representation in the Second Age helmets. I love how they put writing in the hollow of the pommel.

Gil-Galad:

I loved the very limited shots of Gil-Galad in the EE movie. The character was so beautifully done. He looked like a great Elven king. On the top row are some drawings. I donít know who did the first one, but the other two on the top row are by Daniel Falconer. I am not sure what that thing on his head in the middle drawing is supposed to be. If it was an underwater shot, you might think it was for steering under water!

The second row shows two shots of Gil-Galadís costume and his shield. I loved the blue in the costume. He looks so regal and elegant. The shield is shown in Elrondís chamber along with Gil-Galadís spear.

Isildur:

The drawing of Isildur in the top row is by Ben Wootten. His helmet and armor fill out the top row. In the bottom row is a picture of Isildur with Elendil and one of Aragorn at his coronation from the movie. You can see that Aragorn is wearing Isildurís armor.

The Numenorians:

The top row shows three drawings of Numenorean soldiers and a photo of a person in the costume and armor of a soldier. The bottom row shows the amount of detail (that I certainly didnít notice) that was put into the movie. Elsewhere in the appendices it is mentioned that the Second Age tree motif and the Third Age tree motif are different.

Gil-Galadís Army:

On the top row we start with a drawing of an Elven warrior. Next is a color picture showing some of the colors that would show a people in the Spring of their time. Middle right is a picture of an Elven warrior maquette. At the end is the costume itself showing the armor. The bottom row starts with an Elven warrior with a spear. Next to that is the Second Age helmet, then the bow, the quiver, and the shield Ė which is shaped like that of Gil-Galad, but is very plain.

Tomorrow we look at Isengardís occupants.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2009, 10:33am

Post #2 of 18 (605 views)
Shortcut
Times are-a changing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing I like about seeing the armor used in the First Age, is how by the Third Age it has changed, but still holds that distinct style. The element of time having passed just in the armor alone is excellent, and adds more to the flavor of the movie. On a side note, I just love the way the Elves always put leaves/plantation into their art/design (i.e. the shield as you have shown for Gil-Galad's army). One, it looks great, and second, it just shows how passionate these kind are about their world, and makes them leaving it forever even more bold and heartbreaking.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2009, 12:30pm

Post #3 of 18 (593 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see the time and talent put into the armor just like other aspects of the design. I think that the fact that they decided ahead of time on how each group would look and made all the designs fit that framework is what made everything mesh. You could look at a person and tell not only what group he belonged to, but also what Age he was from. Attention to detail!

Elven
Valinor

Jun 22 2009, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 18 (593 views)
Shortcut
wonderful designs .. [In reply to] Can't Post

The second age costumes are so impressive - and I agree that Gil-galad's costume was something very beautiful and extraordinary - its the colouring - unusual, but as you say, regal and elegant.

The Winged helmets were always going to be a problem I think - if the wings were too small they'd look like the canary brigade - too big, and a gust of wind would have blown them over the walls. I think they really compromised here for these, but I could never imagine them exactly myself.

The Elven Warrior costumes are fantastic, and I do like the helmet with the 'spike'-like top. Good in battle I suppose if you headbutted someone, but noy good to bow to the king if he was standing in front of you with that on.

Wonderful shots once more!
Thankyou for taking the time to put that great collection together Smile
Cheers Alcarcalime
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2009, 11:26pm

Post #5 of 18 (582 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it nice we agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elven Warrior costumes are fantastic, and I do like the helmet with the 'spike'-like top. Good in battle I suppose if you headbutted someone, but not good to bow to the king if he was standing in front of you with that on.

A Monty Python moment if ever I read one!!!Wink

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2009, 12:17am

Post #6 of 18 (585 views)
Shortcut
I was a little disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

that Aragorn didnít wear a winged crown.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think of the winged crown when they watch the Philadelphia Eagles play football? The nicest helmets in the NFL, IMO. :D

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 1:10am

Post #7 of 18 (579 views)
Shortcut
Nice to be able to compare the various designs... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, one could almost write a paper on the evolution of the wings as a design element in Numenorean culture, based on these kinds of images...

That's pretty good armor, too, if it's still shiny and sharp after 3,000 years or so...

As you and others have said, Gil-Galad's attire is especially striking -- a real shame that was seen hardly at all in the films. And I wish more had been made of Aragorn wearing Elendil's armor at the coronation. I think there was a scene filmed of him putting on that armor. Wonder if we'll ever get to see that in some super deluxe edition of the films....

Thanks again for all of the shots -- this is great!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 1:17am

Post #8 of 18 (585 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed that Aragorn wears Elendil's armor! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew it was an older style, but I never put two and two together, I guess!

And I think in that second Gil-galad image the designers were messing around with crown details. I would guess that they wanted something that would be similar to the helms of his men. I'm glad they went for something much less ridiculous.

These galleries are such a treasure! They're the first things I dove into when I got the TTT and ROTK EEs.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2009, 10:01am

Post #9 of 18 (570 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting the winged crown from the book. Instead we got little wings.

Don't know about football helmets. I don't ever watch football.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2009, 10:04am

Post #10 of 18 (576 views)
Shortcut
As to the armor, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think the Gondorians had it carefully put away. This is the first time it had been worn. Can't you just see servants busy polishing up that armor for the coronation?

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2009, 10:07am

Post #11 of 18 (578 views)
Shortcut
I always thought . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

it was odd that the two top people -- Gil-Galad and Elrond -- didn't wear helmets. Wouldn't you want to protect them?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 2:15pm

Post #12 of 18 (571 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The lack of helmets on the commanders serves two purposes: one movie purpose and one sort-of RL purpose.

In the movie, it makes them easier for the audience to distinguish from the other warriors. Especially with characters we don't know very well. I don't think I'd have recognized Elrond from the prologue if he were wearing a helmet.

The other idea is that without the helmet they can serve as a sort of rallying banner for their troops, so that their men can find them more easily. Of course, the same purpose could be served with a helmet like Eomer's, something with a big crest that the men can find.

But really, I just like to think Gil-galad and Elrond are cocky jerks in battle Tongue

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 23 2009, 2:22pm

Post #13 of 18 (570 views)
Shortcut
good point...and good thing Aragorn was the same size! [In reply to] Can't Post

He would have looked really silly in armor too big or too small for him!

Weaver

sador
Half-elven

Jun 26 2009, 6:17am

Post #14 of 18 (566 views)
Shortcut
In 'The Fall of Gondolin' [In reply to] Can't Post

That was how Ecthelion killed Gothmog (just read it a couple of weeks ago).

In Reply To

I do like the helmet with the 'spike'-like top. Good in battle I suppose if you headbutted someone, but no good to bow to the king if he was standing in front of you with that on.

And anyway, where do you think the concept of baring one's head on solemn occasions came from? Tongue

"We always elected master from among the old and wise, and have not endured the rule of mere fighting men." - the Master of Lake-town.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2009, 10:52am

Post #15 of 18 (588 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* These props and pics [In reply to] Can't Post

make me long for the extension of scenes that were cut where we could see more of Elendil's armour, Gil-galad, Aragorn preparing for his coronation... all of those moments where we can connect more with the history of those characters and appreciate that Aragorn's wearing Isildur's armour and how important Gil-galad was in bringing the Elves to the Battle of the Last Alliance. I think there could have been a great parallel to Gil-galad arriving in Minas Tirith with his army to the moment when Elrond (Gil-galad's #1) sends Haldir and the Elves to Helm's Deep in honour of that alliance. *sighs again*

These sketches and props have a life of their own, don't they? Promises of what could have been.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 27 2009, 10:55am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2009, 1:50pm

Post #16 of 18 (561 views)
Shortcut
The saddest words -- it might have been [In reply to] Can't Post

These sketches and props have a life of their own, don't they? Promises of what could have been.

It would have been something, for sure!

batik
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 2:43am

Post #17 of 18 (552 views)
Shortcut
PoMe 2 comments [In reply to] Can't Post

All this for the Prologue! Dang!
I loved the blue Gil-Galad wore, too. Strong and bold.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2009, 11:55am

Post #18 of 18 (563 views)
Shortcut
Very good description! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.