Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How many copies of The Lord of the Rings do you have on your bookshelf?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How many copies of The Lord of the Rings do you have on your bookshelf?
none 2 / 2%
1 14 / 14%
2 26 / 27%
3 18 / 18%
4 9 / 9%
5 or more 12 / 12%
I've lost count 5 / 5%
I use an electronic version 1 / 1%
It's mine, my preciousss! 7 / 7%
Let me explain about those book purchases... 4 / 4%
98 total votes

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2009, 10:41pm

Post #51 of 73 (162 views)
Shortcut
They travelled there [In reply to] Can't Post

on a little ships of wool, but then the black sheep set fire to all them so they never could go back ;-)

Or with the Norwegians that came settled there, possibly with the Gaelic hermits that were there just before.

Wikipedia claims that the Faroes were settled by Vikings around 650 AD. I suppose some people started "Vikinging" around 150 years too early then ;-)

Alicia
Lorien

Jun 16 2009, 10:42pm

Post #52 of 73 (148 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Dernwyn, that was very kind of you to say! Heart And I've seen the answers get silly around here... eventually the question does get answered, but it's fun getting there!

-Alicia

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jun 16 2009, 11:00pm

Post #53 of 73 (157 views)
Shortcut
I still remember [In reply to] Can't Post

back in about 1972, I loaned my copy of FotR to my little brother, and he bent the cover back and I was horrified. I went out and bought a second set right then, because I'd had the experience with other books that had gone out of print, and I didn't know how long LotR would be in print (sounds absurd, but "The Thirteen Clocks" is out of print now.) That set eventually went to my son, years and years later. So my old Ballantine FotR with the blue hippy cover still has a corner bent.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jun 16 2009, 11:01pm)

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jun 17 2009, 2:01am

Post #54 of 73 (151 views)
Shortcut
Wow! You get the crown [In reply to] Can't Post

(Whatever kind of crown they give for something like this, that is.)

I envy your collection. Do you collect other kinds of things, other books, or just this?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 17 2009, 5:29am

Post #55 of 73 (150 views)
Shortcut
We had an exchange student [In reply to] Can't Post

from the Faroe Islands at the High School. She told me I was the first person she'd met here who actually knew something about her home. I was also the only one to correctly pronounce her first name. She used her middle name here, with good reason! ;)

Dagonet
Lorien

Jun 17 2009, 4:14pm

Post #56 of 73 (144 views)
Shortcut
9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats sets right? Not FotR as one, TTT as another, and RotK as another?

In total I have 21 books but some are the divided into 3 parts.

I'm working on collecting the ones with different covers

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Jun 17 2009, 6:06pm

Post #57 of 73 (131 views)
Shortcut
XD [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I was the only person who liked the way new books and magazines smelled! Nice o know I'm not alone. Laugh

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 17 2009, 6:10pm

Post #58 of 73 (136 views)
Shortcut
Mimeographs [In reply to] Can't Post

Got hooked in first grade.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 17 2009, 11:00pm

Post #59 of 73 (146 views)
Shortcut
*inhales deeply* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, yeah, that took me back. If I concentrate I can almost smell it. Our school used purple ink, which got all over the place, but smelled so good! Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 18 2009, 12:07am

Post #60 of 73 (133 views)
Shortcut
I remember that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the senior class of my primary school the students got to deliver the school newsletter to all the other classes, which meant I got my hands on the pages when they were still warm (which made for greater smelling appreciation...) Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2009, 3:02am

Post #61 of 73 (118 views)
Shortcut
I had to work with those! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hubby's a teacher, and I would type up his tests in those pre-computer days - on that purple mimeograph paper.

If I made a mistake, I'd scroll the paper out of the typewriter enough to pull apart the leaves, and scrape the mistake off with a kitchen-razor, then re-type it.

And the younger ones here are probably wondering what in the world I'm talking about! Laugh You don't want to know, kids...it was such a relief when we got that Apple IIe with a dot-matrix printer!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 18 2009, 2:02pm

Post #62 of 73 (114 views)
Shortcut
I preferred it ice cold. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the air conditioning in the office where the mim. machine was super-cooled the wet papers. If I was lucky enough to get to pass out a test or something, I was in chemical heaven! ShockedLaugh
Of course, every kid would smell his test before starting on it. Crazy

Sonic#
Bree

Jun 19 2009, 12:04am

Post #63 of 73 (145 views)
Shortcut
Habla Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

We had half of The Hobbit in Spanish at my parents' house for a while. It was very random, since none of us ever knew Spanish.

Other than that, I have three copies. The old edition, that I got in middle school, with the binding falling off. FOTR also once went on a diving expedition, so it's very poofy. Then there's the newer paperbacks I got for everyday reading. Finally... if I haven't lost it somewhere... I have the thick tome all-in-one, for funsies.

In any case, I'm glad I'm not the only one who loses track of them!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2009, 1:23am

Post #64 of 73 (110 views)
Shortcut
Just one, [In reply to] Can't Post

with space for a full, one volume set. Wink

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Jun 19 2009, 1:23am)

Alicia
Lorien

Jun 19 2009, 1:42am

Post #65 of 73 (134 views)
Shortcut
How half Hobbit in Espanol? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
FOTR also once went on a diving expedition, so it's very poofy.

Hee hee!! There are about 3 jokes in there, but I can't quite formulate them... Wink
-Alicia

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jun 19 2009, 9:31pm

Post #66 of 73 (135 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of the number of copies of the complete story, whether in a one-volume format or in three individual volumes.

Nine is impressive! I wish I still had my original set, with the trippy 70's (60s?) covers, but alas, they fell to pieces years ago.

Mar
Gondor

Jun 21 2009, 1:54am

Post #67 of 73 (103 views)
Shortcut
I have pared it down over my past moves to 2. Others went to libraries. But it was a challenge.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2009, 5:57am

Post #68 of 73 (95 views)
Shortcut
Two. A Spanish and an English edition. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rain Queen

Jun 22 2009, 1:41am

Post #69 of 73 (91 views)
Shortcut
I have two [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a paperback box set including The Hobbit, the one with the Alan Lee illustrated covers, that I got in college after reading borrowed copies a couple times. Then this last Christmas my boyfriend got me the 50th anniversary edition hardcover. I haven't read it yet, and it might just remain on the shelf as decoration, so it stays nice. The paperbacks are more portable, and I'm less concerned about messing them up, though I do try to treat my books well, not breaking spines or bending pages, so they're still in good shape after multiple reads.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 24 2009, 3:45pm

Post #70 of 73 (59 views)
Shortcut
2 sets [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the separated volumes in Dutch and all the volumes together in a movie paper back in English (with the black riders on the front).
Silmarillion I also own both in Dutch and English.
For The Hobbit I have three copies. On in Dutch, a paper back in English and a really beautiful English version with Alan Lee drawings. I still want to buy the Lord of the Rings with his drawings, but it is a bit expensive.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jun 26 2009, 5:40pm

Post #71 of 73 (87 views)
Shortcut
Two on the shelves, one in boxes, [In reply to] Can't Post

and one that completely disintegrated and I finally had to toss. It was so sad!

ring master
The Shire

Jul 11 2009, 2:41am

Post #72 of 73 (64 views)
Shortcut
LOL LOL LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Just so everyone knows, I officially have none of the three novels. I assume you guessed that out of context but I was just making sure.

Silmarien
The Shire

Sep 9 2009, 11:16am

Post #73 of 73 (203 views)
Shortcut
Let me explain... [In reply to] Can't Post

I collect "The silmarillion", "LOTR" and "The hobbit" in every language i can find and i every different copy i can find!
I really don't know where to put them all. And then of course all the Tolkien books i can find i buy in all different cover.
For now i think it's LOTR to have the first of the chart with most copies LOL
But it's always too few!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.