The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Forgot how much I love them...

forest
The Shire

Apr 15 2007, 10:12am

Post #1 of 14 (803 views)
Shortcut
Forgot how much I love them... Can't Post

I've been out of LotR-ness for quite some time now and just out of sheer boredom, I put FotR on this morning (watching as we speak...am at the point where Frodo and Sam are watching the Elves through the forest leaving for the Havens). It's...weird....it feels almost like coming home after a long holiday or something. Really nice feeling though. Also rediscovered my love for the Ringwraiths.Cool

Just thought I'd share that lol
~Forest

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Apr 15 2007, 11:40am

Post #2 of 14 (624 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I know what you mean (n/t) [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 15 2007, 4:00pm

Post #3 of 14 (625 views)
Shortcut
It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

To enjoy them ever more you should join in on the Geeky Observation thread that Lossefalme created! Using the lists that grammaboodawg and others created it is like seeing them for the first time...with new eyes.

I put on FOTR last night and experienced many little thrills that I have not felt for awhile. Sometimes it is really good to let lots of time pass without watching them as they become long forgotten friends that pick you right up!

I usually read the book through once and digest that for awhile, as it always leaves me feeling drained and euphoric at the same time, then I watch the films. It is such a great feeling as I rediscover how much they mean to me.

Whether because Frodo was so worn by his long pains, wound of knife, and venomous sting, and sorrow, fear, and homeless wandering, or because some gift of final strength was given to him, Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit child pig-a-back....
Frodo opened his eyes and drew a breath....'Thank you, Sam,' he said in a cracked whisper. 'How far is there to go?' --RotK, "Mount Doom"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 15 2007, 6:50pm

Post #4 of 14 (605 views)
Shortcut
I promised myself.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that I would try to wait until they are available in high definition before watching them again, but that is probably an unrealistic goal. I'm thinking the EE's (which are necessary for me to buy-won't buy theatrical again) won't be out in HD before next year, and I get a really strong urge to follow Frodo and Bilbo in the fall around September 22nd .Heart

I'm so happy to have the list, though, cause I'll read through it again before watching and the HD experience will be hightened even more.

At home, amongst the Mallorn trees.

Carandalien

Apr 15 2007, 10:41pm

Post #5 of 14 (591 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched FOTR for the first time in over 6 months last week, and I got completely sucked into Middle-Earth. I ended up watching all three Extended Versions in a row... :D

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2007, 10:49pm

Post #6 of 14 (593 views)
Shortcut
It's like seeing old friends [In reply to] Can't Post

Time passes; maybe you've grown apart from them. Then you see them after a long absense and it's like no time has passed at all, and you remember how much you care about them.

I got away from it for a while as well. Then I went to New Zealand and all the love and excitement I hadn't felt in so long came flooding back!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2007, 2:20am

Post #7 of 14 (601 views)
Shortcut
*sigh*... :-) ... & LOL for the Ringwraiths!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Elven
Valinor

Apr 16 2007, 3:20pm

Post #8 of 14 (580 views)
Shortcut
A late starter ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt get a DVD player or the DVD's till very late in the piece - I just had to listen to everyone else commenting on them, and try and remember what I had seen at the theatre Frown

But I watch them all the time now - people are on their second run with them - Im still on the first! Wink

I should be over them just in time for the Hobbit to come out!Wink Im pacing myself Smile

Heart Elven x

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith.

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 16 2007, 8:00pm

Post #9 of 14 (575 views)
Shortcut
thanks for posting this... [In reply to] Can't Post

We analyze the different aspects of the films so much, around here, it's always nice when someone reminds us of how good the entire package is!

I had some unexpected free time a few weekends ago, and ended up watching FOTR on Friday, TTT on Saturday morning, and ROTK on Saturday night. I hadn't seen them for quite awhile, and enjoyed them thoroughly.

More and more, I come to realize how much they really are one movie, in three parts, and best seen close together. Certain themes, like the toll the ring takes on Frodo, and Aragorn's rise to the throne, the transformation in Sam, etc. really take all three films to be fully developed. Each film is good in its own way, but together, they are really at their best.

IMHO, of course!

Weaver

hasufel
Rivendell

Apr 16 2007, 8:45pm

Post #10 of 14 (557 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one story in three parts!

It is amazing how some time apart and the magic comes alive again.

We just watched the whole thing last week/weekend.

We watch the first disc of FOTR EE on Thursday evening. Then second disc of FOTR EE and first disc of TTT EE on Friday evening.

Then the finale is the 2nd disc of TTT EE on Saturday afternoon, followed by ROTK EE saturday night.

forest
The Shire

Apr 16 2007, 10:19pm

Post #11 of 14 (555 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

@ Rivendweller - Oooo thanks for that. I'll definitely be checking those lists out =D! Sounds like fun

forest
The Shire

Apr 16 2007, 10:25pm

Post #12 of 14 (554 views)
Shortcut
Wow...! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to know I'm not the only one around here who's recently rediscovered the magic of LOTR. I finished watching ROTK tonight and I think I bawled just as much tonight as I did when I saw it first time in the cinema. Quite impressive really, especially since usually my "Bawl-O-Meter tends to dip gradually with every repeat viewing of most bawl-worthy films.

Deej, it's so true what you say - it really is like seeing old friends again. Such a wonderfully warm, fuzzy feeling ^^

Hmmm I can definitely see some new LOTR fanart coming on now...my pencil-hand is itching with excitement XD

~Forest

Jason_Els

May 1 2007, 6:13am

Post #13 of 14 (534 views)
Shortcut
A Shadow of the Gray Havens [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect everyone to understand this, but for those of us who ever so passionately believe that our afterlives, should they exist, would best be spent in Middle Earth, this scene is deeply moving.

That scene should never have been edited from the release film for the summation of everything about Middle Earth is seen in Sam's face as the winds of change brush his hair and he speaks with wisdom Frodo does not yet have:

I don't know why... It makes me sad.

It's a brief scene, but it is my favorite in the entire series. It's the summation of the mysteries of Middle Earth, its beauty and its sorrow. Like the Arkenstone it is just beyond reach, all we desire but cannot have.

And for all the ruin, we still desire it.

Guided by the Lonely Star,
beyond the utmost harbour-bar,
I'll find the heavens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea.
Ship, my ship! I seek the West,
and fields and mountains ever blest.
Farewell to Middle-earth at last.
I see the Star above my mast!

(This post was edited by Jason_Els on May 1 2007, 6:15am)

Aerin
Grey Havens

May 1 2007, 7:05am

Post #14 of 14 (560 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the boards! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely first post. I would have missed it, because it had already dropped off page 1, but I saw an unfamiliar name and was curious.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.