Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Exteriors in Scotland for Christopher Lee?

davidlean
The Shire

Mar 20 2009, 9:13am

Post #1 of 16 (2746 views)
Shortcut
Exteriors in Scotland for Christopher Lee? Can't Post

Someone on the ImdB posted this idea: since Christopher Lee declines travelling to New Zealand, why not shoot necessary exteriors in Glencoe, Scotland? Poster says it looks nearly like Hobbiton. Sounds like a possibility, if GdT wants Saruman in exteriors.

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Mar 20 2009, 9:23am

Post #2 of 16 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Only one problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would Saruman be in the Shire? Its not like they're likely to add back in the Scouring.

Besides, I imagine Saruman would remain in Orthanc, which can be easily built in two places.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 20 2009, 9:45am

Post #3 of 16 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

and there is still blue screen filming - they could edit him in later. They did it all the time with the trilogy, after all.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

BlueMan
Rivendell

Mar 20 2009, 1:59pm

Post #4 of 16 (1363 views)
Shortcut
If they shoot in England with Lee ... [In reply to] Can't Post

they will probably shoot in London - there are the biggest sound stages of the UK. If there will be need for exteriors they would probably find an easier solution near London.

Btw. I think a London unit is not so unlikely ... it's not THAT complicated or expansive and well worth the effort if they can get Saruman back!

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2009, 2:06pm

Post #5 of 16 (1296 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

He hasn't officially declined... he has only said it was difficult for him. However, London is always a possibility.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 20 2009, 11:15pm

Post #6 of 16 (1224 views)
Shortcut
He did say... [In reply to] Can't Post

that he would "love" to do the role if they could film in London. A recent quote, I forget where--anyone have a link?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 21 2009, 3:04am

Post #7 of 16 (1291 views)
Shortcut
The "Glen of Weeping"...Hobbiton? *shakes head* The mind reels. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avner
The Shire

Mar 21 2009, 4:02am

Post #8 of 16 (1297 views)
Shortcut
The only... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only actor i could see playing saruman (if christopher lee doesn't) -would be liam neeson! He is the same height,could probably do his voice...and with the beard,white robes and long white hair may even look the part.

Agree/disagree?

BlueMan
Rivendell

Mar 21 2009, 9:51am

Post #9 of 16 (1205 views)
Shortcut
No way [In reply to] Can't Post

Chrisotpher Lee or nobody, I say. Fortunately it seems they won't do any recasting (except maybe for Bilbo).

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

Michael X
Bree

Mar 21 2009, 11:10am

Post #10 of 16 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with "Christopher Lee or nobody"!! It's not worth it if we don't have CL. I think they will be able to film everything they need in London.

(Besides, forget Liam Neeson for a while now that his wife has passed away)

One ill turn deserves another! It is over!

(This post was edited by Michael X on Mar 21 2009, 11:11am)

davidlean
The Shire

Mar 21 2009, 11:36am

Post #11 of 16 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Glencoe looking like Hobbiton isn´t the main thing for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was just the idea of shooting Saruman in exteriors that I liked. GdT/PJ should at least give a few minutes to Saruman being noble and wise before changing sides. I think they want to do this with several characters, all leading into their LOTR story arcs.

davidlean
The Shire

Mar 21 2009, 11:38am

Post #12 of 16 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exteriors could of course be shot near London. (nm) [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael X
Bree

Mar 21 2009, 7:31pm

Post #13 of 16 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Well yes [In reply to] Can't Post

More than a few minutes! Saruman arrived at Middle-Earth at III 1000. So he was Good in Middle-Earth, for more than 2000 years!

One ill turn deserves another! It is over!

Hellmistress
Lorien

Mar 22 2009, 7:45pm

Post #14 of 16 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Much as I love Glencoe ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it is also wet, full of bogs and filming there in the summer means being eaten alive by midges. Much of it is inaccessible and one has to walk to get to the pretty bits, the cost of getting a second unit there would be astronomical and the weather is temperamental to say the least. I'm a Scot, I've lived here all my life and I love my country to bits, but I am also a realist - t'wouldn't be practical just to set up for one actor.

HM

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22 2009, 11:14pm

Post #15 of 16 (1185 views)
Shortcut
I've been to Glencoe once, [In reply to] Can't Post

in 1995. My strongest memories are of the stunning mountain-top landscape (which reminded me of the eastern section of the Napier-Taupo road in NZ, for what it's worth), and the long and steep walk up to the backpackers' hostel while lugging an oversized backpack.

Gorgeous place.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Hellmistress
Lorien

Mar 23 2009, 3:29am

Post #16 of 16 (2273 views)
Shortcut
Isn't Glencoe ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... gorgeous?? Certainly. Movies have been made there before - Jean-Jacques Annaud filmed QUEST FOR FIRE there back in 1981, with, incidentally, Ron Perlman. It was winter, and both Ron and Everett McGill got frostbite crossing a mountain river barefoot dressed in nothing but a couple of skins. Looked fabulous, though. Very wild and remote, and, of course, melancholy due to its history (google it).

HM

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.