The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
They're leaving home, bye bye

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 6:32pm

Post #1 of 17 (2099 views)
Shortcut
They're leaving home, bye bye Can't Post

(Which is a glancing reference to a Beatles song, in case that wasn't clearish)

Let’s drabble. Leave-takings, fresh arrivals, moving days… For some reason. Don’t ask me why. (*dithers* Main? FanArt? OT? Main? Main.)

It was his last look around Bag End, and Frodo knew it. He kept trying to tell himself that he should not be sad as he trailed through the quiet rooms; where he was going he should find everything he could want or need, they had told him.

Everything but the ink-stained rug under his writing desk, and the floorboard with the creak. Everything but the flagstone shaped like an oliphaunt, and the carved garden bench. Everything but the window over his bed that let in sweet Shire sunrise or snowshine or moonlight. Everything but Merry and Pippin – and Sam.

TheOneRing.net – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 7:13pm

Post #2 of 17 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Sam's leavetaking [In reply to] Can't Post

An oldie but, I hope, goodie, and it goes with yours, Aerlinn:

Sam knelt on the ground and brought his face to the bouquet of roses he held in his hands, inhaling their scent. These would be the last he would ever bring to her, so he had picked the loveliest, freshest blooms from his garden. As he placed them gently on the mound before him he whispered words of farewell. After a while he stood and, just as he was turning to go, a gust of wind blew his cloak about him. He looked back towards the setting sun and caught a whiff of salty air. He smiled and headed home.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 3:14am

Post #3 of 17 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Some things never change [In reply to] Can't Post

Lifting the staves from the hamper, Sam gathered up his pack and two cloaks from the bench.
"Sam! I can't find my tobacco pouch!" came a concerned shout from the back room.
"It's here in the pack, Mister Frodo!" Sam called back reassuringly, yet privately disappointed of being robbed his moment of triumph when he would pull out the purloined pouch as Frodo despaired of leaving it behind. Sam smiled as he drew out the tobacco, pushing the journal, ink and pen aside. On this first walk in Valinor after many long years, he still savoured his personal little victories.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 6:38pm

Post #4 of 17 (1840 views)
Shortcut
Moving back home [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally, it was time. He and his helpers had cleaned out all the filth, scrubbed the walls and floors, removed every trace of the unwanted occupiers. The furniture and books had been brought back from the safety of Crickhollow, and now everything was ready for the master of Bag End to take up residence again. Sam sighed with satisfaction. Now there was just the garden to see to. It would take time, but time was what he had plenty of, now. Once dear Mr. Frodo was home again, life would go back to the way it was meant to be...

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 17 (1871 views)
Shortcut
regrets and renewal [In reply to] Can't Post

As Sam pulled the door behind him he knew that it signalled the end of his time in Middle Earth. His mind cast back to all the times the door had been open, when he and Frodo had sneaked home early from school hiding from Bilbo and the Gaffer, when he had rushed through it grabbing his bags and kit for that unforgettable journey that had changed his life forever, when he had carried Rosie over the threshold - he rubbed his back - that had been an effort! When he had chased his own children back to school, catching them doing as he and Frodo had done, when he had said farewell to his beloved Rosie as she went on her final journey and now the door had shut never to be re-opened again by him.
Elves, he thought with a sniff, it had begun with his need to see them and it would end with his return to them.
Shaking himself he shouldered his pack the pots and pans clanging together - for no matter what Master Elrond said those Elves couldn't have been feeding Mr Frodo properly, not without proper home cooking.
Samwise Gamgee, he thought to himself, you're leaving home to return HOME, and when he stepped onto the road, his steps became quicker, his stride longer and he whistled contentedly.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

(This post was edited by Ciars on Feb 20 2007, 7:15pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 20 2007, 7:20pm

Post #6 of 17 (1861 views)
Shortcut
My first drabble [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas walked one last time through the great city of Minas Tirith, stopping here and there along his way at places long remembered. He looked again at the banners in the morning wind as a gull cried overhead. Finally he came to the silent street. He lingered just a moment beside his dear friend. The farewells had already been made long ago, but he would not leave without a last glance at Aragorn's tomb. "Good-bye for the last time, old friend. Would that I could take your love with me, but I fear that she has left us forever."

My Livejournal

My Costuming Site

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 7:33pm

Post #7 of 17 (1848 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* omg... that's so beautiful. Excellent first drabble, m'dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 20 2007, 7:52pm

Post #8 of 17 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma! (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

My Livejournal

My Costuming Site

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 20 2007, 11:38pm

Post #9 of 17 (1831 views)
Shortcut
That is so sweet. [In reply to] Can't Post

It made me cry a little. Thinking over a busy and happy life, and to only touch on the better things, what a sense of satisfaction Sam must have felt. To have seen so many great things, yet his only thought was the well-being of his master.

Lovely, very lovely.

"You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about - the more you have left when anything happens." ~ Ethel Barrymore

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 4:56am

Post #10 of 17 (1793 views)
Shortcut
So nice! May it be the first of many! (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 5:03am

Post #11 of 17 (1800 views)
Shortcut
Sam's sniffing reminds me of [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo coming into Rivendell for the first time: "It smells like Elves!"

Those pots and pans - of course! (I wonder if Gandalf was also looking forward to some good Hobbit home-cooking?) Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 5:07am

Post #12 of 17 (1792 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam would have wanted even the slightest reminder of Sharkey and the others removed from Bag End - he would have been so meticulous about it!

But what he didn't know, is that for Frodo, it could never go back to the way it was "meant to be"...*sigh*Frown

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 5:10am

Post #13 of 17 (1808 views)
Shortcut
*smiles* That's our Sam, all right! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Purloined pouch" - lol! I betcha Frodo got as much enjoyment out of having Sam produce the "missing" items, as Sam did himself!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 5:15am

Post #14 of 17 (1812 views)
Shortcut
The call of the Sea [In reply to] Can't Post

will never leave Sam, will it! Very nice, this goes right along with the ending of the Epilogue (Tolkien's originally-intended ending): "They went in, and Sam shut the door. But even as he did so, he heard suddenly, deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2007, 5:18am

Post #15 of 17 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Love that [In reply to] Can't Post

surprise ending! One thinks Frodo's heading to Crickhollow - until the last two words!

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 6:41am

Post #16 of 17 (1799 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, that gave me a chill [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read that passage, unless it's been quoted here before and I don't consciously remember, but they echo the words at the end of ROTK about the sound of the waves sinking deep into Sam's heart.
I wrote this drabble wondering how Sam would know he was being called to join Frodo, with the separation of their two worlds, and I figured it would be something subtle, a sensation bourn on the wind perhaps that he would immediately recognise as the call. In the drabble I imagine he has already prepared to leave, having been attuned to a change in the air and this salty wind is maybe one of the last of many 'waftings' that have come to him.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 2:43am

Post #17 of 17 (1838 views)
Shortcut
That's your *first* one? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's beautiful! And even more so that it is the first. I don't think anyone ever forgets that very first piece of their art - that first piece of their heart - that they dare to share with others.

That is so touching, to think of Legolas feeling the tug of a gull crying in the background while saying goodbye to Aragorn at last. It feels right.

Lovely. Hope to read many more Heart.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Feb 22 2007, 2:44am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.