Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
“Mission: Equality” Chapter 2 – Your mission, should you decide to accept it…

squire
Valinor

Mar 14 2009, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 6 (151 views)
Shortcut
“Mission: Equality” Chapter 2 – Your mission, should you decide to accept it… Can't Post

This is the second post of an informal discussion of my graphic novel/story from my graduate education course “Women of the World”. I am very impressed by the interest and comments that the first chapter has produced so far. To cut to the chase, since several posts simply asked for the next installment, here is the second chapter (and an improved link to the first chapter for those who want to join in).

Mission Equality. Chapter 1: Sweden
Mission Equality. Chapter 2: Mission Accepted

Although I’ll be glad to post a few questions as I did before, I’d like to stand back at this point and let people comment on this new chapter – quite different from the first – and perhaps start a few sub-threads of their own.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 14 2009, 4:50pm

Post #2 of 6 (63 views)
Shortcut
"I'm not dumb. I happen to like both. It's called having it all." [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! Barbie speaks for me!

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming world tour, especially Turkey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 14 2009, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 6 (56 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is indeed ironic that countries have signed and ratified this "order" to improve the conditions of women around the world, but with no way to enforce it, well...

Oh, I am surprised to see it was Bangladash at the bottom of women's rights. It's different from the reportings of the 2008 Gender Gap Index.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

squire
Valinor

Mar 14 2009, 9:54pm

Post #4 of 6 (52 views)
Shortcut
There's no single measure of gender inequality [In reply to] Can't Post

As we will see, signatory countries actually do make serious efforts to comply with CEDAW, even though it's technically unenforceable. Their reasons for doing so, of course, are not necessarily ones the feminists had in mind.

Thanks for pointing me towards the Gender Gap index, which I hadn't known of.

As the footnotes say, my data for the country rankings is quite old, from a 1995-2001 UN survey called the Gender Equality Scale. But also notice that what is being measured there is a country's popular attitudes towards gender equality, not a country's comparative achievements in eliminating gender inequality. It is fascinating to me to see Bangladesh ahead of Japan in the Gender Gap index rankings!

One of the weaknesses of the project is that I based it entirely on the Gender Equality Scale, which was the focus of a text we used in the course: Rising Tide: Gender Equality and Cultural Change Around the World, by Inglehart and Norris (2003). I did not do further research in the literature to find out if there were other, competing models for measuring the status of women in all the countries of the world, mostly for lack of time. The textbook was good enough for my professor, thus good enough for me! Not until I was researching the individual country chapters did I begin to notice that the GES ranking seemed a little shaky.

Still, I think my basic categories are sound, even if the countries themselves aren't exactly as bad (or good) as advertised.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 17 2009, 3:37am

Post #5 of 6 (37 views)
Shortcut
Yo, squire! [In reply to] Can't Post

This stuff is brilliant! Don't let the lack of discussion in this thread keep you from posting more chapters!

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 17 2009, 5:48pm

Post #6 of 6 (51 views)
Shortcut
Did you photograph "H's" compound yourself? // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 16-22 for a free discussion on the entire book.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.