Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Frodo Franchise and its planned sequel
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 29 2009, 2:20pm

Post #76 of 78 (332 views)
Shortcut
Back and ready to chat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings to all!

As some of you can probably tell from my blog, I've been back from Egypt for a couple of weeks now. Between catching up with accumulated mail and tasks and dealing with a steady parade of repair people trying to solve a maddeningly mysterious internet-server problem, I've been laggardly about re-connecting with this thread. But I'm ready, indeed keen, to resume hearing your comments and answering questions.

I'll try to get us back in the spirit of the thing by offering another anecdote from my early days of research for The Frodo Franchise in Wellington. One of my early interviews was with Richard Taylor, on October 7, 2003. When I showed up, Richard had corralled Daniel Falconer and Ben Wootten, whom all knowledgeable fans (and what other kind is there on the forums?) will recognize as two of Weta Workshop's top designers. They gave me nearly an hour and a half of their time, and as you can tell from the quotations I used from all three, it was a fruitful interview indeed.

After it ended, Dan got delegated to give me a tour of the Workshop. I saw trial models for Gollum, a large display with one each of the kinds of weapons used (including the spiral-flighted arrows mentioned in Chapter 3), the forge, and the big open work space at the back. In the latter, the full-size troll models seen in ROTK were standing, as was the Nazgul that was soon to grace the marquee of the Empire Theatre for the world premiere. The latter was lying in parts, still only partly painted. Dan naturally swore me to secrecy, since there had been no announcement of what was to be used that year. Indeed, when I talked with students and faculty of Victoria University of Wellington, it became clear that everyone was assuming that Shelob would be the giant model atop the Empire. But clearly the filmmakers didn't want the Shelob design getting out even a few hours early, so the Nazgul was used and was a big surprise to those who attended the premiere.

But that's not the anecdote I set out to tell. Also in the studio was the full-size Treebeard puppet, or at least the upper half of him. Daniel "introduced" me to him. I had read somewhere (unfortunately I don't seem to have made a note of where) that the shell of a large, native New Zealand snail had been placed in the beard. There it was, as described. I remarked to Dan that even though I had known that snail was there, I had never been able to spot it when watching the film on the big screen. Dan replied, "Neither have I--and I put it there!"

That was one of the many moments when it really hit me that I was actually in Wellington meeting people who had worked (and in some cases were still working) on LOTR!

So, let me hear from you, and I'll try to come up with something intelligent to say.

Cheers,
Kristin

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 29 2009, 3:01pm

Post #77 of 78 (324 views)
Shortcut
Hi Kristin [In reply to] Can't Post

The boards here are set up a little differently than at other forums. When a thread gets a new post, it does not get bumped to the top of the queue (in the default view setting). So most of us never know if a thread sitting on the second page (and beyond) gets a new post. I just happened to see your name as having the last post in this section and when I didn't see it on the first page, I knew it had to be in an old thread.

I think the suggestion is to just start a new thread once the current one has fallen to the second page. Although double posting is discouraged, I see no reason why you couldn't just copy of your post entitled "Back and ready to chat!" and repost it as a new thread. In that repost, you could provide a link back to this thread if you think it might be useful or interesting to people to be aware of it.

:-)

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 29 2009, 7:00pm

Post #78 of 78 (556 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! The new thread is here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.