Dec 22 2008, 12:21pm

Post #26 of 36 (594 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

December 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo accompany Beorn.
(determined from text)
..."[Bilbo] had many hardships and adventures before he got back. The Wild was still the Wild, and there were many other things in it in those days besides goblins; but he was well guided and well guarded—the wizard was with him, and Beorn for much of the way—and he was never in great danger again."

December 22, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Hobbits relax before departing.
(not from the appendices)
...“In those last days the hobbits sat together in the evening in the Hall of Fire, and there among many tales they heard told in full the lay of Beren and Lúthien and the winning of the Great Jewel; but in the day, while Merry and Pippin were out and about, Frodo and Sam were to be found with Bilbo in his own small room. Then Bilbo would read passages from his book (which still seemed very incomplete), or scraps of his verses, or would take notes of Frodo's adventures."

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2008, 12:24pm

Post #27 of 36 (594 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

December 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time has almost come to depart.
..."On the morning of the last day Frodo was alone with Bilbo, and the old hobbit pulled out from under his bed a wooden box. He lifted the lid and fumbled inside.
...'Here is you sword.,' he said. 'But it was broken, you know. I took it to keep it safe, but I've forgotten to ask if the smiths could mend it. No time now. So I thought, perhaps, you would care to have this, don't you know?'
...He took from the box a small sword in an old shabby leather scabbard. Then he drew it, and its polished and well-tended blade glittered suddenly, cold and bright. 'This is Sting,' he said, and thrust it with little effort deep into a wooden beam. 'Take it, if you like. I shan't want it again, I expect.'
...Frodo accepted it gratefully.
...'Also there is this!' said Bilbo, bringing out a parcel which seemed to be rather heavy for its size. He unwound several folds of old cloth, and held up a small shirt of mail. It was close-woven of many rings, as supple almost as linen, cold as ice, and harder than steel. It shone like moonlit silver, and was studded with white gems. With it was a belt of pearl and crystal.
...'It's a pretty thing, isn't it?' said Bilbo, moving it in the light. 'And useful. It is my dwarf-mail that Thorin gave me. I got it back from Michel Delving before I started, and packed it with my luggage. I brought all the mementoes of my Journey away with me, except the Ring. But I did not expect to use this, and I don't need it now, except to look at sometimes. You hardly feel any weight when you put it on.'
...'I should look—well, I don't think I should look right in it,' said Frodo.
...'Just what I said myself,' said Bilbo. 'But never mind about looks. You can wear it under your outer clothes. Come on! You must share this secret with me. Don't tell anybody else! But I should feel happier if I knew you were wearing it. I have a fancy it would turn even the knives of the Black Riders,' he ended in a low voice.
...'Very well, I will take it,' said Frodo. Bilbo put it on him, and fastened Sting upon the glittering belt; and then Frodo put over the top his old weather-stained breeches, tunic, and jacket.
...'Just a plain hobbit you look, said Bilbo. 'But there is more about you now than appears on the surface. Good luck to you!' He turned away and looked out of the window, trying to hum a tune.
...'I cannot thank you as I should, Bilbo, for this, and for all your past kindnesses,' said Frodo.
...'Don't try!' said the old hobbit, turning round and slapping him on the back. 'Ow!' he cried. 'You are too hard now to slap! But there you are: Hobbits must stick together, and especially Bagginses.'"

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2008, 12:27pm

Post #28 of 36 (890 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth. Merry Christmas Everyone :D

December 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo share the season with Beorn.
(determined from text)
..."Yule-tide was warm and merry there; and men came from far and wide to feast at Beorn's bidding. The goblins of the Misty Mountains were now few and terrified, and hidden in the deepest holes they could find; and the Wargs had vanished from the woods, so that men went abroad without fear. Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength. In their day the last goblins were hunted from the Misty Mountains and a new peace came over the edge of the Wild."

December 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Company of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk.
(from the appendices)
..."...It was a cold grey day near the end of December... ...They were to start at dusk, for Elrond counselled them to journey under the cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell.
...'You should fear the many eyes of the servants of Sauron,' he said. 'I do not doubt that news of the discomfiture of the Riders has already reached him, and he will be filled with wrath. Soon now his spies on foot and wing will be abroad in the northern lands. Even of the sky above you must beware as you go on your way.'
...The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown, as a ranger of the wilderness. Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.
...'Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,' he said, 'and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!' Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.
...'Slow should you be to wind that horn again, Boromir,' said Elrond, 'until you stand once more on the borders of your land, and dire need is on you.'
...'Maybe,' said Boromir. 'But always I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night.'
...Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings, for dwarves make light of burdens; and in his belt was a broad-bladed axe. Legolas had a bow and a quiver, and at his belt a long white knife. The younger hobbits wore the swords that they had taken from the barrow; but Frodo took only Sting; and his mail-coat, as Bilbo wished, remained hidden. Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the Elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain.
...All were well furnished by Elrond with thick warm clothes, and they had jackets and cloaks lined with fur. Spare food and clothes and blankets and other needs were laden on a pony, none other than the poor beast that they had brought from Bree.
...The stay in Rivendell had worked a great wonder of change on him: he was glossy and seemed to have the vigour of youth. It was Sam who had insisted on choosing him, declaring that Bill (as he called him) would pine, if he did not come.
...'That animal can nearly talk,' he said, 'and would talk, if he stayed here much longer. He gave me a look as plain as Mr. Pippin could speak it: "If you don't let me go with you, Sam, I'll follow on my own."' So Bill was going as the beast of burden, yet he was the only member of the Company that did not seem depressed."

December 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shire at Yule-tide.
..."Hobbits can work like bees when the mood and the need comes to them. Now there were thousands of willing hands of all ages, from the small but nimble ones of the hobbit lads and lasses to the well-worn and horny ones of the gaffers and gammers. Before Yule not a brick was left standing of the new Shirriff-houses or of anything that had been built by 'Sharkey's Men'; but the bricks were used to repair many an old hole, to make it snugger and drier. Great stores of goods and food, and beer, were found that had been hidden away by the ruffians in sheds and barns and deserted holes, and especially in the tunnels at Michel Delving and in the old quarries at Scary; so that there was a great deal better cheer that than anyone had hoped for."

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2008, 12:29pm

Post #29 of 36 (546 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 26 & 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today and Tomorrow in Middle-earth.

December 26, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship sets out.
"… turning southwards [they] went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days. The country was much rougher and more barren than in the green vale of the great River in Wilderland on the other side of the range, and their going would be slow; but they hoped in this way to escape the notice of unfriendly eyes. The spies of Sauron had hitherto seldom been seen in this empty country, and the paths were little known except to the people of Rivendell.
Gandalf walked in front, and with him went Aragorn, who knew this land even in the dark. The others were in file behind, and Legolas whose eyes were keen was the rearguard."

December 27, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship travels the wild
..."The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers. Though the Company was well clad, they seldom felt warm, either moving or at rest."

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2008, 4:10pm

Post #30 of 36 (527 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're leaving us a very nice present here, thank you! Smile

Do have a safe journey there and back again, and enjoy your wonderfilled time with the grandkiddies! {{hugs!}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 22 2008, 7:54pm

Post #31 of 36 (524 views)
Shortcut
I will second that. [In reply to] Can't Post

And all proclaimed sentiments forthwith. Here Here!

Gramma, please remember the safe part that you asked us all to do.
SmileYou are going to have fun.

......You better not forget to come back neitherUnimpressed...Laugh

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2008, 12:28pm

Post #32 of 36 (603 views)
Shortcut
No other presents [In reply to] Can't Post

given by Bilbo to Frodo could have been as needful, as important to the Quest, as these!

And no, I don't believe for a minute that the old Hobbit simply "forgot" to get Frodo's sword mended - notice how well-kept Sting was, he'd probably had it newly (and secretly) refurbished! Wink

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 26 2008, 11:42am

Post #33 of 36 (570 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship Starts Off on Christmas - Significance? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always felt it very significant that the Fellowship leave Rivendell on Christmas. I wrote about this last year at Hollywood Jesus. If you care to read it, you can follow this link: Merry Christmas from Middle-earth!

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2008, 2:22pm

Post #34 of 36 (491 views)
Shortcut
Verily. [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thank you for the link! I've "popped into" HollywoodJesus on occasion to enjoy your insights.

This very point has received much discussion in the Reading Room. I'm just now catching up in there, and found I'd missed a most important Christmas message from a.s.!

There has been discussion of other important dates in LotR as well; see Curious' post here, and right after that, another by a.s. in which she links to an entire thread on Christian symbolism in LotR.

Tolkien was a most meticulous writer! Smile

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 28 2008, 2:43pm

Post #35 of 36 (513 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the encouragement [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the encouragement, grammaboodawg. Sometimes I wonder if I am just talking to the air. It's good to know there are people out there actually reading my stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to follow the Reading Room posts--too many irons in the fire at the moment. But the posts you linked to are very good, much more thorough than I am.Smile

Best wishes for the new year (at least by our calendar!).

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

_V_
Lorien

Dec 30 2008, 11:41pm

Post #36 of 36 (521 views)
Shortcut
I thought it odd that even Gandalf didn't plan beyond Lorien [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.