Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Ron Perlmen or Christopher Lee for Smaug?

mylord99

Oct 29 2008, 9:27am

Post #1 of 12 (269 views)
Shortcut
Ron Perlmen or Christopher Lee for Smaug? Can't Post

I dont know if this has been discused here or not, but let me just say,

Ron Perlmen has one intemidating voice, he makes you fear him. He would serve the Dragon well.

Christopher Lee is a great actor possibly the best in Britan, but then again he already has played Saurman.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 29 2008, 10:17am

Post #2 of 12 (212 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcomy, mylord99!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you've found your way here!! :D

Christopher Lee has an awesome voice; but, for me, his role as Saruman for the 2 new films would be enough. Now Perlman for Smaug is a good possibility, but I'd dearly love to see him as Thorin Oakenshield. If the 13 dwarves are in the 6' + range, and their Bilbo is in the 5' 7"- 5' 10" range, the scale would be perfect. We'd just need Gandalf to be stretched a bit to tower over them all... as he should.

Now, how about Vin Diesel (sp?) for Smaug? There's a voice! Or Jeremy Irons... so silky and sinister with great intelligence. I want Smaug to be the grandest, most marvellous dragon ever created... and the voice will be to Smaug as Shore's music is to LotR. Powerful, Staggering, Palpable! *twitch*

I can't WAIT to see what they come up with! :D

Stick around and enjoy the fun as we watch these films get done! It's going to be GREAT!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

visualweasel
Rohan

Oct 29 2008, 2:46pm

Post #3 of 12 (189 views)
Shortcut
George Sanders (er, if he were still alive) [In reply to] Can't Post

Grammaboodawg, your suggestion of Jeremy Irons (Scar in The Lion King) made me think of another silky, sinister voice, wielding the Received Pronunciation like a rapier: George Sanders, who voiced Shere Khan in The Jungle Book. He would have been a great choice! But I always like Richard Boone's version of Smaug from the 1977 television version of The Hobbit, too.

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3

Jettorex
Lorien

Oct 29 2008, 3:38pm

Post #4 of 12 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeremy Irons for Smaug would be my first choice, and i like your description "so silky and sinister with great intelligence". Bingo. he also has a kind of ageless quality to his voice-not too old or young. perfect for a dragon!

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 29 2008, 4:12pm

Post #5 of 12 (178 views)
Shortcut
Boone was the best part of [In reply to] Can't Post

that version, imho! What a voice! And Sanders... you're so right!

Isn't it funny that either a strong Boone voice or a silky Sanders/Irons voice are what we seem to gravitate to for Smaug? Either personna would be a winner, imho.

Then there's Tom Cruise or DiCaprio! NO WAY!!!! *spasm*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 29 2008, 4:23pm

Post #6 of 12 (161 views)
Shortcut
Eartha Kitt. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2008, 5:35pm

Post #7 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
geez.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's almost Halloween....but you're scarin' me with all that talk of Cruise and DiCaprio.....please no! I think these two need to follow Joaquin Phoenix's lead and retire from movies. Maybe Joaquin will come back to movies then.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2008, 11:03pm

Post #8 of 12 (154 views)
Shortcut
Jeremy Irons has my vote so far too gramma! // [In reply to] Can't Post

*Jazminatar the Brown*

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 30 2008, 4:05am

Post #9 of 12 (176 views)
Shortcut
Yep, mine too [In reply to] Can't Post

My vote also goes to Jeremy Irons! Not only one of my favourite actors, but a very specific voice with a metallic note in it - just what I would expect from Smaug! Although I'm not sure if they will be willing to spend that much money on casting. I doubt Jeremy Irons would be cheap to hire Unsure

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 31 2008, 2:00am

Post #10 of 12 (163 views)
Shortcut
Problem is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I hear Jeremy, I hear Scar. Who was it who wrote, "No-one who played a lion, a super-hero, or a Jedi should play Smaug" ? I'm sorry, but if JI did the voice, when Smaug opened his mouth, all I'd hear was, "Oh look Zazu, you made me lose my lunch." Tongue
I'm a huge fan of JI otherwise though.

PLus, I imagine that both PJ and Del Toro would apply the same rules to casting voices as to casting onscreen roles. Not that ego problems would matter as much, but "superstardom" defenitely would. I think we need not be worried. If Smaug is to be "The Magnificent" he must be a powerful NEW force unleashed onscreen. And that would begin with the voice.

Funny, I never envisioned Mr. Lee doing SMuag until he himself suggested it. Then I got the willies. Lee would be fantastic...IF he werent' recognizable as Saruman first! Which means the WETA crew would have to do some tinkering. Can you imagine what Christopher Lee's voice would sound like *after* it's been altered by a computer?? (*SHUDDER*)
It would be the best alteration since Fran as a RingwraithSly

The guy who did the voice for Xerxes in "300" was suggested somewhere too. That was computer-altered but boy, it did the job (even if Xerxes the character was laughable.)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 31 2008, 2:05am)

tennie75
Lorien

Oct 31 2008, 3:38am

Post #11 of 12 (141 views)
Shortcut
my vote is for [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick Stewart. If he can be the voice for The Borg, he can certainly be the voice for Smaug!

Loneanimator
The Shire

Oct 31 2008, 6:32am

Post #12 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
If only choosing between Perlman and Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I'd say Lee. He has himself expressed interest in joining the "Hobbit" cast, but also stated in an interview that he's too bloody old now to travel ty New Zeeland again. Which of course only leaves voicework. Ron Perlman should be seen on the screen. He'll be great whatvever role he's given. But, yeah, he would make a terrific dwarf. I think we can all agree that both PJ and Guillermo is impeccable casting directors. I'm sure we will all be very excited about what they put together.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.