Not a US citizen 10 / 13%
79 total votes

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 4 2008, 1:50am

Post #76 of 84 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Read and listen then decide [In reply to] Can't Post

From CBC Radio: Part 1: Is God a Republication?

Here in the United States, there's a strict separation of church and state. But the line between politics and religion is a lot fuzzier.That's been especially true under the Bush Administration, which has embraced the Religious Right over the last eight years.

The religious right's power had been growing before that to the point where it seemed to overshadow -- or even knock out -- any relationship between the religious left and the Democrats. And Democrats like Leah Daughtry, the CEO of the Democratic National Convention, takes exception to the idea that the religious left had ever left politics.
But if that's the case, then why do so many people -- faithful and otherwise -- still associate being religious with being a Republican.

Reverend Jim Wallis has some thoughts on that. He's the author of The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith & Politics in a Post-Religious Right America and God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. He is also the Editor-In-Chief of Sojourners magazine and Jim Wallis was in Washington.
Now Reverend Jim Wallis said he thinks the way Barack Obama talks about his faith is different from other Democratic leaders. But there was a time -- not that long ago in fact -- when Democratic Presidential candidates proudly put their religious convictions front and centre.

So when did Democrats start to shy away from that kind of candid talk about faith? To help us answer that, we're joined now by Randall Balmer, a professor of American Religious History at Columbia University and the author of God in the White House: How Faith Shaped the Presidency from John F. Kennedy to George W. Bush. Randell Balmer was with Irshad in New York City.

Listen to the podcast here.

Mar
Gondor

Nov 4 2008, 2:59am

Post #77 of 84 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Three cheers to the 6th graders! // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 4 2008, 3:35am

Post #78 of 84 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Barack Hussein Obama. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first heard his last name four years ago, and then his middle name a little later, I figured there was no way someone with those names could ever be elected president. I'm pleased to be proved wrong (probably). Mind you, I'm voting for Obama not because of his names but because I generally agree with his positions, and because of the way he's conducted his campaign.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 4 2008, 3:50am

Post #79 of 84 (1299 views)
Shortcut
To which of Obama's half-brothers do you refer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Obama, and his dear brother Saruman.

Roy, Mark, David, Abo, Bernard, or George?

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 4 2008, 9:04am

Post #80 of 84 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Not a US citizen but [In reply to] Can't Post

all of us out here in the rest of the world probably feel that almost as much is riding on the outcome for us as it is for the US itself. We've had 8 years of the US turning its back on us and treating us all as potential threats (I stopped travelling through the US the last few years, because I hated the border experience so much). So let's hope a few bridges will soon be mended.

Rivendweller
Lorien

Nov 4 2008, 3:16pm

Post #81 of 84 (1222 views)
Shortcut
We'd love to have you back Mar [In reply to] Can't Post

Robin Williams makes a hysterical yet poignant point on security vs. the illusion of security in the film Man of the Year.

Friends, no matter what your party preference is, what candidates you voted for or what issues led you to your decision; the fact that you are showing support for your country and your beliefs by exercising your right to vote has been unprecedented and amazing this time around.

I am proud and happy, whatever the outcome, to have been part of this historic event.

acheron
Gondor

Nov 4 2008, 3:32pm

Post #82 of 84 (1229 views)
Shortcut
When I was in 5th grade... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perot won our school handily over both Bush and Clinton. Wink

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 4 2008, 6:28pm

Post #83 of 84 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Ultimately... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think it's better that the President and the congressional majority be different parties. Bad things happen when one party has too much power.

So that's how I voted.

However, if it doesn't work out that way, I am not going to whinge and complain about fraud. I will support whoever is elected, because he is the President of MY country, and that alone demands my respect.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 5 2008, 9:38pm

Post #84 of 84 (1519 views)
Shortcut
I didn't answer before [In reply to] Can't Post

because I treasure the idea of the secret ballot. I don't put yard signs up either.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.