Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Putting a face on a label.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 16 2008, 9:03pm

Views: 41
Shortcut
Putting a face on a label. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that story, Dreamdeer. I remember when I was ten my family watched "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" on PBS, and I rightly had nightmares for years, and wrongly found myself judging modern Germans a bit because of it, even though I have a lot of German ancestry myself. Then one day when I was sixteen I met a gangly boy with a mop of blond hair at the folk dance, and found myself kissing a German. He was my first crush, and though it didn't work out, it helped me get past that prejudice. (My second boyfriend was Iranian. But I have to admit that while people from other cultures make wonderful friends, it's a whole lot easier to be lovers with someone from the same culture, and it was a lot easier to communicate with Uncle Baggins, who grew up only an hour away from where I did.)

It's so important to see people as individuals. That helps break down the barriers more effectively than anything else I can think of.

And your story made me smile, because when I was in high school, there were two gay boys in our circle of girls, and one of them said one day, "Oh, just think of me as one of the girls." :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Subject User Time
"It takes a village to bury a child" Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Oct 12 2008, 8:31pm
    A Sad Anniversary JRandomRohirrim Send a private message to JRandomRohirrim Oct 12 2008, 9:28pm
    We keep striving for 'equality' and 'liberty and justice for all' but it often seems a slow road. // Mar Send a private message to Mar Oct 13 2008, 12:23am
    "Never again" dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Oct 13 2008, 1:06am
    The battle never ends orcbane Oct 13 2008, 1:49am
    My respects to those in loss. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Oct 13 2008, 4:40am
    Bullies Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Oct 13 2008, 4:55am
        Very true Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Oct 13 2008, 9:11am
            well said -- an idea that's helped me is ElanorTX Send a private message to ElanorTX Oct 13 2008, 10:28am
                "human beings need a malign force to blame for their self-wrought difficulties" a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Oct 13 2008, 11:14am
                    Projection Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Oct 13 2008, 7:23pm
                        A very... Donry Send a private message to Donry Oct 13 2008, 9:33pm
                            Thanks, Donry! Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Oct 13 2008, 11:47pm
                                Sometimes things just happen... Donry Send a private message to Donry Oct 15 2008, 8:44pm
                                    Cooking helps, too. Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Oct 15 2008, 9:46pm
                                        Putting a face on a label. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Oct 16 2008, 9:03pm
    It is a bizarre thing... Donry Send a private message to Donry Oct 13 2008, 2:52pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.