Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Passing of Richard Wright of Pink Floyd...

Morthoron
Gondor

Oct 12 2008, 3:45pm

Post #1 of 5 (94 views)
Shortcut
The Passing of Richard Wright of Pink Floyd... Can't Post

I note with sadness that Richard Wright, keyboardist of Pink Floyd, died last month at the age of 65. In keeping with his rather reticent, introverted nature, he kept his cancer a secret (and the lack of news regarding his death seems to bear this out). In any case, I discovered an excellent double CD documenting his final concert, playing alongside his Pink Floyd comrade David Gilmour, on Gilmour's 'Live in Gdansk' http://www.davidgilmour.com/gdansk.htm

The first CD mostly covers Gilmour's 2006 solo album 'On an Island'; however, it is on the second CD that both Gilmour and Wright truly shine, and show what a wonderful legacy both men have left for rock music. The song selection is surprising (in a delightful way) and covers tunes that one usually didn't hear in a Floyd concert, particularly Astronomy Domine (from Floyd's 1st album, Pipers at the Gates of Dawn), Fat Old Sun (from Atom Heart Mother) and Echoes (from Meddle). There are also remarkable renditions of Shine on You Crazy Diamond, High Hopes, Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb. It is definitely a 'Headphones Only' compilation that will leave any Floyd fan completely satisfied (and the addition of the Baltic Symphony Orchestra adds an excellent extra aural presence). Sad to say we shall not be seeing any further Pink Floyd reunions as the circle is irrevocably broken.

So goodbye, Mr. Wright, wish you were here.

THE EARL OF SANDWICH: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"
JOHN WILKES: That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
John Wilkes (1727-1797)

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Oct 12 2008, 3:50pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2008, 3:58pm

Post #2 of 5 (53 views)
Shortcut
Oh... oh how sad... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the greatest bands in the world, imho. Peace to him and his friends and family. Their music will always be known for it's beauty, innovativeness and consistent brilliance. Icons of an era.

peace.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 12 2008, 3:59pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Oct 13 2008, 1:28am

Post #3 of 5 (33 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more, Gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wright was usually unheralded and hidden at the heart of Pink Floyd's dense but flowing compositions, Richard Wright was a true innovator, quiet and unassuming, but deserving of accolades. Pink Floyd, like Tolkien, was one of the pillars of my formative years, and in a very different manner than the Professor they influenced my personal journey through life (in a musical sense, of course).

THE EARL OF SANDWICH: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"
JOHN WILKES: That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
John Wilkes (1727-1797)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 15 2008, 4:32pm

Post #4 of 5 (23 views)
Shortcut
I saw them in concert [In reply to] Can't Post

in Tampa, Florida in 1973. Accolades, fersher. You speak for me, also :)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Morthoron
Gondor

Oct 16 2008, 1:08am

Post #5 of 5 (32 views)
Shortcut
1973? Ah, that would be the Dark Side of the Moon tour... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw them for the 'Animals' tour in '77, then 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' in '87, and finally 'The Division Bell' in '94. No greater rock concerts in my opinion.

John Wilkes (1727-1797)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.