Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo talks Hobbit - on Smaug and Wargs at the DGA NY festival 08.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2008, 3:31am

Post #26 of 50 (262 views)
Shortcut
Frankly, I'm surprised.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That he even had it listed at all.
I have been telling people at his official website that I'm amazed how open and accessible he continues to be, considering his taking on a project of this size and global stature. I was wondering when the email addys would disappear, and hoping it was later rather than sooner. They continue to tell me at DTF.com that he has handled media attention and fan speculation like this before, and nothing will change that much; but I think he is now beginning to cotton on that this is going to be something else entirely. I think that this event he has just attended, seeing the types of people there asking the sort of questions, (e.g. the man in the suit--hope he discovers and reads the FAQ about working as an extra on this site! I hope he discovers the truth asap.) is beginning to open his eyes.

Don't feel bad or think that you "scared him away", Ainu Laire; I'm sure you didn't.....((Hugs)))Smile If anything, it must have been people like that guy in the suit. Having been familar with the fan community here for a while now, I'm sure he feels comfortable with us; but he must feel the need to protect himself from the odd person/"Stalkerish" (you know) kind of people that account for less than 1% of fandom, I am sure. And who will attempt to use this site. It's regrettable, but necessary.

This reminds me of a U2 story from the spring of 1987, on their breakthrough Joshua Tree Tour (if you hang around with me in real life, a U2 vignette is an eventuality in some context, eventuallySly.) I was shocked and disappointed that the band had hired personal security guys for the first time, they had a reputation as accessible to fans, the antithesis of "rock star with the entourage", etc. I thought that now they became superstars, they'd sold out. This outrage lasted until Bono revealed in an interview a story about how somebody followed him into a men's room with a videocamera, which of course he did not discover until a very embarrassing moment. (I know the details but can't relate them further, of course.) All I can say is, if I had had something like that happen to me, I'd want a posse too. I think Bono told this story in such detail as an apology to fans about why they had to make the change. It was regrettable, but necessary, and I understood. (Their "posse" are nice to the fans, though....the real ones.)

Well, if Guillermo is reading this--let me say I understand. Though I was thinking of dropping him a petition on behalf of Gramma. If anyone on here deserves to go to NZ as an extra, it's her.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 7 2008, 7:02am

Post #27 of 50 (242 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

that makes two of us. I could have sworn I've seen an e-mail address, too!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2008, 10:57am

Post #28 of 50 (227 views)
Shortcut
It was not me [In reply to] Can't Post

but Smeagirl rather that was afraid that she scared him away- though I doubt she did. :P Though I wonder if *I* could be a force to scare people away... *queue evil cackles*.

Though this whole business of distinguishing between and "eager fan" and an "unhealthily obsessed fan" reminds me of a Robot Chicken skit (and one of my favorites). They stereotype anything and everything on that show, and one of my favorite stereotypes they have is the Nerd. He bumps into George Lucas and completely spazzes out while Lucas looks like he wants to disappear into a hole in the earth.

I *really* don't want to appear that way, even if that is how I sometimes feel inside ;) It's difficult to show your admiration for someone sometimes without appearing like an idiot *g*

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2008, 3:01pm

Post #29 of 50 (247 views)
Shortcut
A petition for gramma to appear in The Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a good idea! How do we start it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2008, 4:34pm

Post #30 of 50 (211 views)
Shortcut
I think I saw him scrubbing the main hall floors ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2008, 5:28pm

Post #31 of 50 (247 views)
Shortcut
A little push for Gramma....:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe "petition" is the wrong word.

But I just really, REALLY wish there was a way to communicate to Del Toro just why I think Gramma deserves to go....(um, Gramma is reading this, hope I don't embarrass herWink..she'd probably be the last one to email him too!) . What she has been to this website, and just what she has meant to so many of us who doubted for years this project would ever get off the ground, and any other obstacles that get in the way, in any fashion. What kind of a person she is and continues to be. And I haven't even met her, and probably never will.

I wish I could find a way to tell him that for years, she's been the "Doug Jones" of TORN...and Del Toro will know what that means. I'm speaking of Doug's personality and fans of his would know what I am talking about. Of course, Gramma has her ups and down days and we're only seeing the "public" face of her, but IMO there's got to be a lot of private that goes into the "public" face. People who have met her and know her in real life, at moots and other places, obviously know a lot more about her than I do. This is strictly speaking from someone reading her posts on this site, for years.

I have had a reputation for skepticism and have (memorably) taken out my frustrations with various aspects of this production--and other things--on this site, but I've been won over by her sense of cheerfulness and optimism. Gadzooks, I'm even beginning to hope that Christopher Lee as Saruman is possible.

This may seem strange, to be talking like this, and I know the newbies and semi-newbies reading this might think it strange. But to them: the longer you are on this site, the more you'll get to "know" Gramma. Or at least, what we see of her.

It's a HUGE "gray area" to be making a post like this on behalf of someone regarding such a contest, but if a poll were taken tomorrow, I'll bet that most people who've been posting on here, or even just reading the Boards, for a few months or more would put in Gramma's name. At least that's IMO.

End of sermon...and that's the only post of this type I'll ever make...:)

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 7 2008, 7:19pm

Post #32 of 50 (213 views)
Shortcut
Start with my vote:)\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 7 2008, 7:48pm

Post #33 of 50 (218 views)
Shortcut
Ditto all that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma's enthusiasm is big enough to stand in for all the TORnsibs who can't be there. Smile Plus I know she'd write up a great report. Wink She's got my vote! Cool

"I think it is a sad story," said the wizard, "and it might have happened to others, even to some hobbits that I have known."

Hellmistress
Lorien

Oct 7 2008, 9:33pm

Post #34 of 50 (207 views)
Shortcut
GdT and posts. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no doubt at all that G reads ALL the posts here. Over at DTF we might not hear from him in months, and then we get a flurry of posts from him and he surprises the crap out of us by talking about stuff we had been discussing eons ago and never thought he would take any notice of. One thing you'll soon learn about Guillermo - he reads everything, and not only that, he remembers it, too!

Oh, BTW - it's G's birthday October 9th. Bless him, he'll be 44. Very Windswept and Interesting.

HM

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 4:19am

Post #35 of 50 (179 views)
Shortcut
From your mouth to God'e ears! [In reply to] Can't Post

As Southern Europeans say Cool Which means: may your words be heard and true! We've been working so hard writing and writing here, we almost wrote the script already, it would be fair to be heard Tongue

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 6:06am

Post #36 of 50 (177 views)
Shortcut
If anyone deserves it, then it's Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

*signs the petition*

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2008, 7:20am

Post #37 of 50 (187 views)
Shortcut
*stands beside Sunflower* [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma has my vote too... her enthusiasm is just plain inspiring.

I understand what you mean Sunflower, to "know" someone just by their posts without ever meeting them. I think you've articulated it all very well... at least, we all get what you mean Smile

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2008, 7:22am

Post #38 of 50 (178 views)
Shortcut
Gramma's reports... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are always fun and brimming with enthusiasm. They always kinda take you "in the moment", if you get my meaning. I don't doubt she'd do a great job writing one up Smile

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 8:27am

Post #39 of 50 (178 views)
Shortcut
Well...one final thought, then (for now) [In reply to] Can't Post

This contest, I assume, won't begin until a time many months in the future, when we are much closer to the filming process. So if anything is "formalized", it should be then. Of course, I have no idea how this would work, petitioning or giving a "heads up" about one poster on here in such a contest is unprecedented....

I mean, we have one confirmed Extra at this point, and it was that sibbie with the serious illness that a website was started for (*shrinks in chair, I can't remember her name*Unsure sorry.) But Gramma doesn't have any qualifications other than just being who she's been. Her TORN record, I guess. I mean, anyone who did their TORN research could see why it should be her. But how to put this to Mr. Del Toro and the studio? We can't start a website on behalf of Gramma! Crazy And of course, if any document was drawn up etc, it would have to be with the blessing of TPTB. So at this point, I don't know.

Just random thoughts for down the road. One thing's for sure: I'm terrible at this stuff,...I couldn't be in charge of anything!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 8 2008, 8:32am

Post #40 of 50 (173 views)
Shortcut
And you can add my vote too :-D (((Gramma)))// [In reply to] Can't Post

Valinor, O Valinor
Andav yny hyarya
Tumna y nyna minya fa
An Valinor, liss Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 8 2008, 11:52am

Post #41 of 50 (174 views)
Shortcut
That's Fiver. [In reply to] Can't Post

The website you mention is here: Project Fiver. I think it's awesome that it looks like she'll be able to go. (And isn't it awesome that Wingnut films contacted them first?!?!?!) But I don't think Fiver was ever all that active on TORn, though she's active in other LOTR communities.

If for some reason Fiver can't go, or if those in charge are generous enough to have more than one spot open for fans, Gramma is definitely my next choice, for all the reasons we've mentioned.

"I think it is a sad story," said the wizard, "and it might have happened to others, even to some hobbits that I have known."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 8 2008, 12:13pm

Post #42 of 50 (184 views)
Shortcut
And not one person has asked me for the address! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit surprised. So I made a poll to find out why. Sly

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 8 2008, 2:38pm

Post #43 of 50 (171 views)
Shortcut
What's the address? / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 8 2008, 4:11pm

Post #44 of 50 (164 views)
Shortcut
Check your messages. /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 4:31pm

Post #45 of 50 (157 views)
Shortcut
What is TPTB? [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush Sorry, couldn't figure it out...

I believe

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 8 2008, 4:40pm

Post #46 of 50 (156 views)
Shortcut
The Powers That Be. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 4:56pm

Post #47 of 50 (151 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2008, 4:03pm

Post #48 of 50 (145 views)
Shortcut
How did I miss this report??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great job, and thanks for posting it!! Cool

"...and back again."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 9 2008, 7:24pm

Post #49 of 50 (142 views)
Shortcut
I dunno; too busy emailing Gullermo? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

No problemo, I had the feeling a lot of people might've missed it, which is one thing that inspired me to put the poll. Smile

_V_
Lorien

Oct 26 2008, 12:14am

Post #50 of 50 (141 views)
Shortcut
I have been very busy with schoolwork, but will give a full companion report/post to this soon [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.