Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Please Tell Me Jackson won't add Aragorn into The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 4:24am

Post #26 of 36 (138 views)
Shortcut
I agree and disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi! This is basically my first post, though I've been lurking for a while. Mind if I join in your conversation? I remember Aragorn being referenced in The Hobbit when I read it again about 2 years ago. But it was a minor role, to be sure, though it was interesting to me that he was around in the Hobbit considering what a major role Tolkien had him play in the later stories. I like the idea of seeing him with the Rangers. The story of the Rangers is an interesting one. His early history with Arwen is interesting, but so much of the depth of that relationship was fleshed out in the other movies that I'm not sure putting in more of the background would add anything qualitative.

Nice to meet you!

I agree that Aragorn should be in F2 and his story should be fleshed out (Dunedain/Rangers/Arwen) but not in The Hobbit because I want them to stick to the book and not add anything to it which would be an injustice unless its minor tweaks with regards to the ring/cutting a scene or two out for timing/pacing reasons.

Laerasa
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 4:30am

Post #27 of 36 (174 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you've made it to The Hobbit Forums! Welcome to TORn! Wink

Hey, guys, fuzzyfeet the newest addition to our Travel(l)ing Journal project! (yay!)

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!
Site Updates:
Welcome, itcdunk, Freya Baggins, and Garfeimo!

Guestbook and Forum
There is also a comments page- anyone can leave a comment or question, but please stick to TORn rules on posting!
The journal is in NZ!

"To err is human. To loaf is Parisian." -Victor Hugo
"The difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney
"The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed." - Nicolas de Chamfort

(This post was edited by Laerasa on Oct 8 2008, 4:31am)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 4:39am

Post #28 of 36 (137 views)
Shortcut
Hi fuzzyfeet, lovely nickname :)))) [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm confused... seriosuly confused. I just re-read the Hobbit and I can't remember Aragorn mentioned for all the gold in the world. It's true I'm tired but... wow, I must be getting old Unsure Could you remind me where and how he was mentioned? Thanks and have fun, it's great here!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 8 2008, 5:34am

Post #29 of 36 (126 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, he doesn't appear in that book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien didn't even create Aragorn until after The Hobbit had been published. And in Aragorn's earliest incarnations, in the drafts of The Lord of the Rings that have since appeared in "The History of Middle-earth" series, the character was a hobbit name Trotter who wore wooden shoes.

If Aragorn were to appear in The Hobbit, he would be all of ten years old.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Oct. 6-12 for "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 8:08am

Post #30 of 36 (122 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I strongly feel Aragorn should not be in The Hobbit, Aragorn is awesome no doubt but I think it would be an injustice to the character and the book.

fuzzyfeet

Oct 8 2008, 2:09pm

Post #31 of 36 (113 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your welcome! Now I am scratching my head wondering why I think Aragorn was in The Hobbit. It was a while ago that I read it...(maybe I'm getting old). I thought there was some reference by Gandalf to his presence, without Aragorn actually making an appearance. I could be remembering something from the Fellowship. I do hope that the Hobbit storyline is stuck to as religiously as possible. In the three movies, Jackson and Walsh had an interpretation of Aragorn and Frodo that to me really contributed to my understanding of the stories, and I know there were so many characters in the books that they must have felt the need to simplify some things. But The Hobbit is simple enough in characters and plot that hopefully there aren't too many cuts. Even though I seem to have forgotten whether Aragorn actually appears..The Hobbit is actually my favorite of the books, maybe because of its relative simplicity. It was a completely delightful read. I felt like a kid again going on some great adventure, like I did when I read it as a kid, and not many books I read as an adult bring that experience back for me. The first chapter had me rolling on the floor reading it as an adult--I hope they are able to capture the humor in Gandalf tricking Bilbo into hosting these dwarves and then compelling him to go on this adventure. (I'm remembering that correctly, right?)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 3:54pm

Post #32 of 36 (108 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! I'm not that old after all :))) // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

willowgreylock
Lorien

Oct 8 2008, 7:12pm

Post #33 of 36 (99 views)
Shortcut
welcome fuzzyfeet [In reply to] Can't Post

i always encourage everyone new to put themselves on the map. it's great fun to see
how far reaching TORn is around the globe. so if you have a minute give it a looksee, and
sign on.

www.whereintheworldarethetornsibs?

enjoy! Wink

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2008, 2:59am

Post #34 of 36 (99 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's age in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I calculate it as twenty-six or seven. Aragorn was 87 in LOTR, there is a 60-year gap between TH and LOTR, and TH lasts for a year. How did you come up with the 10 year old Aragorn?

I believe

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 9 2008, 3:08am

Post #35 of 36 (99 views)
Shortcut
From the Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn is born on 1st March 2931, The Hobbit takes place in 2941. What's glossed over in the movies is the time period between Bilbos party and Frodo leaving the shire, Bilbo leaves in 3001, Frodo in 3018 which makes Aragorn 87 during LOTR.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andav yny hyarya
Tumna y nyna minya fa
An Valinor, liss Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2008, 3:13am

Post #36 of 36 (116 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.