grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2008, 10:35am

Post #1 of 21 (667 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 23 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Soon afterwards the other dwarves were brought into the town amid scenes of astonishing enthusiasm. They were all doctored and fed and housed and pampered in the most delightful and satisfactory fashion. A large house was given up to Thorin and his company; boats and rowers were put at their service; and crowds sat outside and sang songs all day, or cheered if any dwarf showed so much as his nose."

September 23, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. After a long expected party!!
(not from the appendices)
..."Then a number of other people came (without orders): Bagginses, and Boffins, and Bolgers, and Tooks, and other guests that lived or were staying near. By mid-day, when even the best-fed were out and about again, there was a large crowd at Bag End, uninvited but not unexpected.
...Frodo was waiting on the step, smiling, but looking rather tired and worried. He welcomed all the callers, but he had not much more to say than before. His reply to the inquiries was simply this: 'Mr. Bilbo Baggins has gone away; as far as I know, for good.' Some of the visitors he invited to come inside, as Bilbo had left 'messages' for them.
...Inside in the hall there was piled a large assortment of packages and parcels and small articles of furniture. On every item there was a label tied....
......Frodo had a very trying time that afternoon. A false rumour that the whole household was being distributed free spread like wildfire; and before long the place was packed with people who had no business there, but could not be kept out...
...'...It's time to close the shop, Merry,' Frodo said. 'Lock the door, and don't open it to any one today, not even if they bring a battering-ram.' Then he went to revive himself with a belated cup of tea.
...He had hardly sat down, when there came a soft knock at the front-door. 'Lobelia again most likely,' he thought. 'She must have thought of something really nasty, and have come back again to say it. It can wait.'
...He went on with his tea. The knock was repeated, much louder, but he took no notice. Suddenly the wizard's head appeared at the window.
...'If you don't let me in, Frodo, I shall blow your door right down your hole and out through the hill.'"

September 23, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
(from the appendices-no text)
1. Four Riders enter the Shire before dawn. The others pursue the Rangers eastward, and then return to watch the Greenway.

2. A Black Rider comes to Hobbiton at nightfall, Frodo leaves Bag End.
(from the appendices)
..."...Frodo was going on foot. His plan—for pleasure and a last look at the Shire as much as any other reason—was to walk from Hobbiton to Bucklebury Ferry, taking it fairly easy.
...'I shall get myself a bit into training, too,' he said, looking at himself in a dusty mirror in the half-empty hall. He had not done any strenuous walking for a long time, and the reflection looked rather flabby, he thought.
...'...It's going to be a fine night,' he said aloud. 'That's good for a beginning. I feel like walking. I can't bear any more hanging about. I am going to start, and Gandalf must follow me.' He turned to go back, and then stopped, for he heard voices, just round the corner by the end of Bagshot Row. One voice was certainly the old Gaffer's; the other was strange, and somehow unpleasant. He could not make out what it said, but he heard the Gaffer's answers, which were rather shrill. The old man seemed put out...
...'...I am sick of questions and curiosity about my doings...' (Frodo thought). He had half a mind to go and ask the Gaffer who the inquirer was; but he thought better (or worse) of it, and turned and walked quickly back to Bag End...
...'...Sam!' he called. 'Sam! Time!'
...'Coming, sir!' came the answer from far within, followed soon by Sam himself, wiping his mouth. He had been saying farewell to the beer-barrel in the cellar...
......Frodo shut and locked the round door, and gave the key to Sam. 'Run down with this to your home, Sam!' he said... '...Well, now we're off at last!' said Frodo. They shouldered their packs and took up their sticks, and walked round the corner to the west side of Bag End. 'Good-bye!' said Frodo, looking at the dark blank windows. He waved his hand, and then turned and (following Bilbo, if he had known it) hurried after Peregrin down the garden-path..."

3. Gandalf having tamed Shadowfax rides from Rohan.
(from the appendices)
[Gandalf addressed the Council about Shadowfax] "'Never before had any man mounted him, but I took him and I tamed him, and so speedily he bore me that I reached the Shire when Frodo was on the Barrow-downs, though I set out from Rohan only when he set out from Hobbiton.'"

September 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The hobbits enjoy their time with Bilbo in the comfort of Imladris.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...It became quite a talent of the four to overlap stories, expand on events, and share comments while the elder's face turned from one to the other. Puffing slowly on his pipe, he would occasionally close his eyes, abruptly grunt in understanding or gasp startled; but he wouldn't ask questions until that tale had been told. He knew from experience that a year's worth of adventure would be full of stories to be caught in the telling and this needed to flow from the teller as it will and become its own.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2008, 3:09pm

Post #2 of 21 (541 views)
Shortcut
It had been so long [In reply to] Can't Post

since Lake-town had seen any Dwarves, that even if one were just paying them a visit, still he'd be a celebrity! (And doesn't it make you think of the reaction when The Beatles came to NYC?)

"blow your door right down your hole" - LOL, that just sounds so funny!

And it's hard to think of Frodo as "flabby", whatever his reflection tells him... Laugh

Are you sure that last paragraph isn't about Tolkien puffing away on his pipe, putting all this together in his head? Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2008, 12:10am

Post #3 of 21 (512 views)
Shortcut
I'll tell you what [In reply to] Can't Post

2 of my favourite lines of the whole story are in this. Gandalf threatening Frodo and Frodo looking into the mirror. Those just strike me as special moments I anticipate and relish every time I read them :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2008, 10:47am

Post #4 of 21 (780 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 24, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth-no text)
1. Bilbo nurses a bad cold as he and the Dwarves enjoy the hospitality and praise of Lake-town.

September 24, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Gandalf leaves unexpectedly.
(not from the appendices-tiny no text)
...Frodo began to recover from the excitement and fury of the Party and distribution of gifts. Gandalf had once again come and gone the night before in his usual rush. "'Good-bye now! Take care of yourself! Look out for me, especially at unlikely times! Good-bye!'
...Frodo saw him to the door. He gave a final wave of his hand, and walked off at a surprising pace; but Frodo thought the old wizard looked unusually bent, almost as if he was carrying a great weight. The evening was closing in, and his cloaked figure quickly vanished into the twilight. Frodo did not see him again for a long time."

September 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf crosses the Isen.
(from the appendices-no text)
...Shadowfax raced across the vast leagues between the land of the Rohirrim and the Northern Realm. Gandalf reached the River Isen as the hobbits leisurely made their way across the Shire.

2. The Hobbits cross the Shire.
..."Frodo woke up first, and found that a tree-root had made a hole in his back, and that his neck was stiff. 'Walking for pleasure! Why didn't I drive?' he thought, as he usually did at the beginning of an expedition. 'And all my beautiful feather beds are sold to the Sackville-Bagginses! These tree-roots would do them good.' He stretched. 'Wake up, hobbits!' he cried. 'It's a beautiful morning!'
...'What's beautiful about it?' said Pippin, peering over the edge of his blanket with one eye. 'Sam! Get breakfast ready for half-past nine! Have you got the bath-water hot?'
...Sam jumped up, looking rather bleary. 'No, sir, I haven't, sir!' he said.
...Frodo stripped the blankets from Pippin and rolled him over, and then walked off to the edge of the wood."

[Later that day]
..."...They had been jogging along again for an hour or more when Sam stopped a moment as if listening. They were now on level ground, and the road after much winding lay straight ahead through grassland sprinkled with tall trees, outliers of the approaching woods.
...'I can hear a pony or a horse coming along the road behind,' said Sam.
...They looked back, but the turn of the road prevented them from seeing far. 'I wonder if that is Gandalf coming after us,' said Frodo; but even as he said it, he had a feeling that it was not so, and a sudden desire to hide from the view of the rider came over him.
...'It may not matter much,' he said apologetically, 'but I would rather not be seen on the road—by anyone... ...let's get out of sight!'
......Frodo hesitated for a second; curiosity or some other feeling was struggling with his desire to hide. The sound of the hoofs drew nearer. Just in time he threw himself down in a patch of long grass behind a tree that over-shadowed the road. Then he lifted his head and peered cautiously above one of the great roots.
...Round the corner came a black horse, no hobbit-pony but a full-sized horse; and on it sat a large man, who seemed to crouch in the saddle, wrapped in a great black cloak and hood, so that only his boots in the high stirrups showed below; his face was shadowed and invisible.
...When it reached the tree and was level with Frodo the horse stopped. The riding figure sat quite still with its head bowed, as if listening. From inside the hood came a noise of someone sniffing to catch an elusive scent; the head turned from side to side of the road.
...A sudden unreasoning fear of discovery laid hold of Frodo, and he thought of his Ring. He hardly dared to breathe, and yet the desire to get it out of his pocket became so strong that he began slowly to move his hand..."

3. They meet Glorfindel and the High Elves travelling through the Shire.
... The song ended. 'And now to bed! And now to bed' sang Pippin in a high voice.
... 'Hush!' said Frodo. 'I think I hear hoofs again.'
... They stopped suddenly and stood as silent as tree-shadows, listening. There was a sound of hoofs in the lane, some way behind, but coming slow and clear down the wind. Quickly and quietly they slipped off the path, and ran into the deeper shade under the oak-trees.
... 'Don't let us go too far!' said Frodo. 'I don't want to be seen, but I want to see if it is another Black Rider.'
... 'Very well!' said Pippin. 'But don't forget the sniffling!'
... The hoofs drew nearer. They had no time to find any hiding-place better than the general darkness under the trees; Sam and Pippin crouched behind a large tree-bole, while Frodo crept back a few yards towards the lane. It showed grey and pale, a line of fading light through the wood. Above it the stars were thick in the dim sky, but there was no moon.
... The sound of hoofs stopped. As Frodo watched he saw something dark pass across the lighter space between two trees, and then halt. It looked like the black shade of a horse led by a smaller black shadow. The black shadow stood close to the point where they had left the path, and it swayed from side to side. Frodo thought he heard the sound of snuffling. The shadow bent to the ground, and then began to crawl towards him.
... Once more the desire to slip on the Ring came over Frodo; but this time it was stronger than before. So strong that, almost before he realized what he was doing, his hand was groping in his pocket. But at that moment there came a sound like mingled song and laughter. Clear voices rose and fell in the starlit air. The black shadow straightened up and retreated. It climbed onto the shadowy horse and seemed to vanish across the lane into the darkness on the other side. Frodo breathed again.
... 'Elves!' exclaimed Sam in a hoarse whisper. 'Elves, sir!' He would have burst out of the trees and dashed off towards the voices, if they had not pulled him back.
... 'Yes, it is Elves,' said Frodo. 'One can meet them sometimes in the Woody End. They don't live in the Shire, but they wander into it in Spring and Autumn, out of their own lands away beyond the Tower Hills. I am thankful that they do! You did not see, but that Black Rider stopped just here and was actually crawling towards us when the song began. As soon as he heard the voices he slipped away.
... 'What about the Elves?' said Sam, too excited to trouble about the rider. 'Can't we go and see them?'
... 'Listen! They are coming this way,' said Frodo. 'We have only to wait….'

... …The hobbits sat in shadow by the wayside. Before long the Elves came down the lane towards the valley. They passed slowly, and the hobbits could see the starlight glimmering on their hair and in their eyes. They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet. They were now silent, and as the last Elf passed he turned and looked towards the hobbits and laughed.
... 'Hail, Frodo!' he cried. 'You are abroad late. Or are you perhaps lost?' Then he called aloud to the others, and the company stopped and gathered round.
... 'This is indeed wonderful!' they said. 'Three hobbits in a wood at night! We have not seen such a thing since Bilbo went away. What is the meaning of it?'
... 'The meaning of it, fair people,' said Frodo, 'is simply that we seem to be going the same way as you are. I like walking under the stars. But I would welcome your company.'
... 'But we have no need of other company, and hobbits are so dull,' they laughed. 'And how do you know that we go the same way as you, for you do not know whither we are going?'
... 'And how do you know my name?' asked Frodo in return.
... 'We know many things,' they said. 'We have seen you often before with Bilbo, though you may not have seen us.'
... 'Who are you, and who is your lord?' asked Frodo.
... 'I am Gildor,' answered their leader, the Elf who had first hailed him. 'Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod. We are Exiles, and most of our kindred have long ago departed and we too are now only tarrying here a while, ere we return over the Great Sea. But some of our kins-folk dwell still in peace in Rivendell. Come now, Frodo, tell us what you are doing. For we see that there is some shadow of fear upon you.'
... 'O Wise People!' interrupted Pippin eagerly. 'Tell us about the Black Riders!'
... 'Black Riders?' they said in low voices. 'Why do you ask about Black Riders?'
... 'Because two Black Riders have overtaken us today, or one has done so twice' said Pippin, 'only a little while ago he slipped away as you drew near.'
... The Elves did not answer at once, but spoke together softly in their own tongue. At length Gildor turned to the hobbits. 'We will not speak of this here,' he said. 'We think you had best come now with us. It is not our custom, but for this time we will take you on our road, and you shall lodge with us tonight, if you will.'
... 'O Fair Folk! This is good fortune beyond my hope,' said Pippin. Sam was speechless. 'I thank you indeed, Gildor Inglorion,' said Frodo bowing. 'Elen síla lúmenn omentilmo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting.' he added in the high elven-speech.
... 'Be careful, friends!' cried Gildor laughing. 'Speak no secrets! Here is a scholar in the Ancient Tongue. Bilbo was a good master. Hail, Elf-friend!' he said, bowing to Frodo. 'Come now with your friends and join our company! You had best walk in the middle so that you may not stray…..

... …Sam could never describe in words, nor picture clearly to himself, what he felt or thought that night, though it remained in his memory as one of the chief events of his life. The nearest he ever got was to say: 'Well, sir, if I could grow apples like that, I would call myself a gardener. But it was the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean.'
... Frodo sat, eating, drinking, and talking with delight; but his mind was chiefly on the words spoken. He knew a little of the elf-speech and listened eagerly. Now and again he spoke to those that served him and thanked them in their own language. They smiled at him and said laughing: 'Here is a jewel among hobbits!'
... After a while Pippin fell fast asleep, and was lifted up and borne away to a bower under the trees; there he was laid upon a soft bed and slept the rest of the night away. Sam refused to leave his master. When Pippin had gone, he came and sat curled up at Frodo's feet, where at last he nodded and closed his eyes. Frodo remained long awake, talking with Gildor….

... … I have been expecting Gandalf for many days. He was to have come to Hobbiton at the latest two nights ago; but he has never appeared. Now I am wondering what can have happened. Should I wait for him?'
... Gildor was silent for a moment. 'I do not like this news,' he said at last. 'That Gandalf should be late, does not bode well. But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. The choice is yours: to go or wait.'
... 'And it is also said,' answered Frodo: 'Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.'
... 'It is indeed?' laughed Gildor. 'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill. But what would you? You have not told me all concerning yourself; and how then shall I chose better than you? But if you demand advice, I will for friendship's sake give it. I think you should now go at once, without delay; and if Gandalf does not come before you set out, the I also advise this: do not go alone. Take such friends as are trusty and willing. Now you should be grateful, for I do not give this counsel gladly. The Elves have their own labours and their own sorrows, and they are little concerned with the ways of hobbits, or of any other creatures upon earth. Our paths cross theirs seldom, by chance or purpose. In this meeting there may be more than chance; but the purpose is not clear to me, and I fear to say too much.'
... 'I am deeply grateful,' said Frodo; 'but I wish you would tell me plainly what the Black Riders are. If I take your advice I may not see Gandalf for a long while, and I ought to know what is the danger that pursues me.'
... 'Is it not enough to know that they are servants of the Enemy?' answered Gildor. 'Flee them! Speak no words to them! They are deadly. Ask no more of me! But my heart forebodes that, ere all is ended, you, Frodo son of Drogo, will know more of these fell things than Gildor Inglorion. May Elbereth protect you!'
... 'But where shall I find courage?' asked Frodo. 'That is what I chiefly need.'
... 'Courage is found in unlikely places, said Gildor. 'Be of good hope!'"

sample

Evernight
Rivendell

Sep 24 2008, 2:35pm

Post #5 of 21 (534 views)
Shortcut
Gildor. [In reply to] Can't Post

They meet Glorfindel and the High Elves travelling through the Shire (1418)

They meet Gildor, not Glorfindel. Other than that, great work!!! Smile

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2008, 3:27pm

Post #6 of 21 (563 views)
Shortcut
A walk in the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Good for Frodo - making Pippin pay for his rudely awakening Sam, buy forcing him out of his covers as well!

The Elves seem as surprised as the Fox to find three Hobbits in the woods at night - but then, considering how well they seem to know things, I wonder if they deliberately choose that path at that time, just to "keep an eye" on Frodo.

And I do think that Gildor could tell that Sam was not alseep when he was talking with Frodo, and that his words were for both of them.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2008, 4:24pm

Post #7 of 21 (514 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right on all counts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if they didn't know to watch out for Frodo (surprised Gandalf wasn't about), the Will of Good certainly had a hand in it. AND Gildor had to know that Sam was aware of what was being said. Especially since later on, Sam says the Gildor told him to keep an eye on Frodo ;)

'It is going to be very dangerous, Sam. It is already dangerous. Most likely neither of us will come back.'
'If you don't come back, sir, then I shan't, that's certain,' said Sam. 'Don't you leave him! they said to me. Leave him! I said. I never mean to. I am going with him, if he climbs to the Moon; and if any of those Black Riders try to stop him, they'll have Sam Gamgee to reckon with, I said. They laughed.'
'Who are they, and what are you talking about?' 'The Elves, sir. We had some talk last night; and they seemed to know you were going away, so I didn't see the use of denying it. Wonderful folk, Elves, sir! Wonderful!'

Wonderful bloke, Sam. Wonderful!

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2008, 4:25pm

Post #8 of 21 (514 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! You're right! THANK YOU! *zooms to fix* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2008, 4:30pm

Post #9 of 21 (498 views)
Shortcut
btw! WELCOME! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we've met.... and here you are rescuing me straight away! I'm always getting my Elves confused ;)

Welcome to TORn! It's great to have you here :D

sample

Evernight
Rivendell

Sep 25 2008, 2:31am

Post #10 of 21 (516 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, I'm not new, but I don't post a lot either, so that's why we haven't met before, and don't worry, elvish names aren't easy to remember, I get confused too with some names, such as those of Fëanor's sons. Tongue

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

(This post was edited by Evernight on Sep 25 2008, 2:32am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25 2008, 8:41am

Post #11 of 21 (530 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth. [sorry.... some of these are just toooooooo hard to shave down]

September 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The hobbits come to Maggot's Farm.
... "'I know these fields and this gate!' he said. 'We are on old Farmer Maggot's land. That must be his farm away there in the trees.'
... 'One trouble after another!' said Frodo, looking nearly as much alarmed as if Pippin had declared the lane was the slot leading to a dragon's den. The others looked at him in surprise.
... 'What's wrong with old Maggot?' asked Pippin. 'He's a good friend to all the Brandybucks. Of course he's a terror to trespassers, and keeps ferocious dogs—but after all, folk down here are near the border and have to be more on their guard.'
... 'I know,' said Frodo. 'But all the same,' he added with a shamefaced laugh, 'I am terrified of him and his dogs. I have avoided his farm for years and years. He caught me several times trespassing after mushrooms, when I was a youngster at Brandy Hall. On the last occasion he beat me, and then took me and showed me to his dogs. "See, lads," he said, "next time this young varmint sets foot on my land, you can eat him…'

...…Suddenly as they drew nearer a terrific baying and barking broke out, and a loud voice was heard shouting: 'Grip! Fang! Wolf! Come on, lads!'
... Frodo and Sam stopped dead, but Pippin walked on a few paces. The gate opened and three huge dogs came pelting out into the lane, and dashed towards the travellers, barking fiercely…. …Through the gate there now appeared a broad thick-set hobbit with a round red face. 'Hallo! Hallo! And who may you be, and what may you be wanting?' he asked.
... 'Good afternoon, Mr. Maggot!' said Pippin.
... The farmer looked at him closely. 'Well, if it isn't Master Pippin--Mr. Peregrin Took, I should say!' he cried, changing from a scowl to a grin. 'It's a long time since I saw you round here. It's lucky for you that I know you. I was just going out to set my dogs on any strangers…. …this fellow was the most outlandish I have ever set eyes on. He won't cross my land without leave a second time, not if I can stop it.'

...Pippin introduced the other two to the farmer. 'Mr. Frodo Baggins,' he said. 'You may not remember him, but he used to live at Brandy Hall.' At the name Baggins the farmer started, and gave Frodo a sharp glance. For a moment Frodo thought that the memory of stolen mushrooms had been aroused, and that the dogs would be told to see him off. But Farmer Maggot took him by the arm.
... 'Well, if that isn't queerer than ever!' he exclaimed. 'Mr. Baggins is it? Come inside! We must have a talk… …What do you think that funny customer asked me?' "…Have you seen Baggins?" he asked in a queer voice, and bent down towards me. I could not see any face, for his hood fell down so low; and I felt a sort of shiver down my back. But I did not see why he should come riding over my land so bold."
... '"Be off!" I said. "There are no Bagginses here. You're in the wrong part of the Shire. You had better go back west to Hobbiton--but you can go by road this time."
... '"Baggins has left," he answered in a whisper. "He is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold."
... '"No you won't," I said. "You'll go back where you belong, double quick…."'

... …Maggot looked at him thoughtfully. 'Well, I see you have ideas of your own,' he said. 'It is as plain as my nose that no accident brought you and that rider here on the same afternoon; and maybe my news was no great news to you, after all. I am not asking you to tell me anything you have a mind to keep to yourself; but I can see you are in some kind of trouble. Perhaps you are thinking it won't be too easy to get to the Ferry without being caught?'
... 'I was thinking so,' said Frodo. 'But we have got to try and get there; and it won't be done by sitting and thinking. So I am afraid we must be going. Thank you very much indeed for your kindness! I've been in terror of you and your dogs for over thirty years, Farmer Maggot, though you may laugh to hear it. It's a pity: for I've missed a good friend. And now I'm sorry to leave so soon. But I'll come back, perhaps, one day--if I get a chance.'
... 'You'll be welcome when you come,' said Maggot. 'But now I've a notion… …If you and Mr. Peregrin and all could stay and have a bite with us, we would be pleased! … after a bit of supper, I'll get out a small waggon, and I'll drive you all to the Ferry. That will save you a good step, and it might also save you trouble of another sort.'
... Frodo now accepted the invitation gratefully, to the relief of Pippin and Sam.

... …They reached the entrance to the Ferry lane at last…. …Farmer Maggot drew in his ponies and the waggon creaked to a halt. They were just beginning to scramble out, when suddenly they heard what they had all been dreading: hoofs on the road ahead. The sound was coming towards them….
... '…You'd better be hidden, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam anxiously. 'You get down in the waggon and cover up with blankets, and we'll send this rider to the rightabouts!' He climbed out and went to the farmer's side. Black Riders would have to ride over him to get near the waggon.
... Clop-clop, clop-clop. The rider was nearly on them.
... 'Hallo there!' called Farmer Maggot. The advancing hoofs stopped short. They thought they could dimly guess a dark cloaked shape in the mist, a yard or two ahead.
... 'Now then!' said the farmer, throwing the reins to Sam and striding forward. 'Don't you come a step nearer! What do you want and where are you going?'
... 'I want Mr. Baggins. Have you seen him?' said a muffled voice--but the voice was the voice of Merry Brandybuck.
... A dark lantern was uncovered, and its light fell on the astonished face of the farmer.
... 'Mr. Merry!' he cried.
... 'Yes, of course! Who did you think it was?' said Merry coming forward."

2. The Conspiracy Unmasked
..."'It's coming out in a minute,' whispered Pippin to Merry. Merry nodded.
...'Well!' said Frodo at last, sitting up and straightening his back, as if he had made a decision. 'I can't keep it dark any longer. I have got something to tell you all. But I don't know quite how to begin.'
...'I think I could help you,' said Merry quietly, 'by telling you some of it myself.'
...'What do you mean?' said Frodo, looking at him anxiously.
...'Just this, my dear old Frodo: you are miserable, because you don't know how to say good-bye. You meant to leave the Shire, of course. But danger has come on you sooner than you expected, and now you are making up your mind to go at once. And you don't want to. We are very sorry for you.'
...Frodo opened his mouth and shut it again. His look of surprise was so comical that they laughed. 'Dear old Frodo!' said Pippin. 'Did you really think you had thrown dust in all our eyes...' '...To tell you the truth, I had been watching you rather closely ever since Bilbo left. I though you would go after him sooner or later; indeed I expected you to go sooner, and lately we have been very anxious. We have been terrified that you might give us the slip, and go off suddenly, all on your own like he did...'
...'I must go,' said Frodo. 'It cannot be helped, dear friends...' '...Since you have guessed so much, please help me and do not hinder me!'
...'You do not understand!' said Pippin. 'You must go—and therefore we must, too. Merry and I are coming with you. Sam is an excellent fellow, and would jump down a dragon's throat to save you, if he did not trip over his own feet...'
......Frodo was deeply moved... '...you do not understand. This is no treasure-hunt, no there-and-back journey. I am flying from deadly peril into deadly peril.'
...'Of course we understand,' said Merry firmly... 'We know the Ring is no laughing matter; but we're going to do our best to help you against the Enemy.'
...'The Ring!' said Frodo, now completely amazed...
...'...we formed our own conspiracy, and as we were serious, too, and meant business, we have not been too scrupulous. You are not a very easy nut to crack, and Gandalf is worse. But if you want to be introduced to our chief investigator, I can produce him.'
...'Where is he?' said Frodo, looking round, as if he expected a masked and sinister figure to come out of a cupboard.
...'Step forward, Sam!' said Merry; and Sam stood up with a face scarlet up to the ears. 'Here's our collector of information! And he collected a lot, I can tell you, before he was finally caught. After which, I may say, he seemed to regard himself as on parole, and dried up.'
...'Sam!' cried Frodo, feeling that amazement could go no further, and quite unable to decided whether he felt angry, amused, relieved, or merely foolish.
...'Yes, sir!' said Sam. 'Begging your pardon, sir! But I meant no wrong to you, Mr. Frodo, nor to Mr. Gandalf for that matter. He has some sense, mind you; and when you said go alone, he said no! take someone as you can trust.'
...'But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,' said Frodo.
...Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin—to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours—closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo. Anyway: there it is. We know most of what Gandalf has told you. We know a good deal about the Ring. We are horribly afraid—but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds.'
...'And after all, sir,' added Sam, 'you did ought to take the Elves' advice. Gildor said you should take them as was willing, and you can't deny it.
...'I don't deny it,' said Frodo, looking at Sam, who was now grinning. 'I don't deny it, but I'll never believe you are sleeping again, whether you snore or not. I shall kick you hard to make sure.
...'You are a set of deceitful scoundrels!' said Frodo, turning to the others. 'But bless you!' he laughed, getting up and waving his arms, 'I give in. I will take Gildor's advice. If the danger were not so dark, I should dance for joy. Even so, I cannot help feeling happy; happier than I have felt for a long time. I had dreaded this evening'
...'Good! That's settled. Three cheers for Captain Frodo and company!' they shouted; and they danced round him. Merry and Pippin began a song, which they had apparently got ready for the occasion."

sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 25 2008, 8:43am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2008, 10:34am

Post #12 of 21 (495 views)
Shortcut
"Of course [Farmer Maggot's] a terror [In reply to] Can't Post

...and keeps ferocious dogs", but that shouldn't be any problem, should it? Yeah - riiight! Laugh Although, considering the average age of dogs, I doubt the same ones are still around which were informed that they could "eat" Frodo. Wink

I must admit, I prefer the book-Farmer Maggot to the movie one: this guy's got spunk, I think he'd even take on the Witch-king singlehandedly!

Ah, the spookiness of that cart to the Ferry. "A dark cloaked shape"...of course it's Merry, now who did we all think it would be? Angelic

And the best friends of all, are those who can be "deceitful scoundrels" on one's behalf! Smile

You're right, this day is just too full of great stuff to skip any of it! Evil

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 26 2008, 8:35am

Post #13 of 21 (465 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 26, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Old Forest.
(from the appendices)
..."It was dark and damp. At the far end it was closed by a gate of thick-set iron bars. Merry got down and unlocked the gate, and when they had all passed through he pushed it to again. It shut with a clang, and the lock clicked. The sound was ominous.
...'There!' said Merry. 'You have left the Shire, and am now outside, and on the edge of the Old Forest.'"

..."...Sam sat down and scratched his head, and yawned like a cavern. He was worried. The afternoon was getting late, and he thought his sudden sleepiness uncanny. 'There's more behind this than sun and warm air,' he muttered to himself. 'I don't like this great big tree. I don't trust it. Hark at it singing about sleep now! This won't do at all!'
...He pulled himself to his feet, and staggered off to see what had become of the ponies. He found that two had wandered on a good way along the path; and he had just caught them and brought them back towards the others, when he heard two noises; one loud, and the other soft but very clear. One was the splash of something heavy falling into the water; the other was a noise like the snick of a lock when a door quietly closes fast.
...He rushed back to the bank. Frodo was in the water close to the edge, and a great tree-root seemed to be over him and holding him down, but he was not struggling. Sam gripped him by the jacket, and dragged him from under the root; and then with difficulty hauled him on to the bank. Almost at once he woke, and coughed and spluttered.
...'Do you know, Sam,' he said at length, 'the beastly tree threw me in! I felt it. The big root just twisted round and tipped me in!'
...'You were dreaming I expect, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam. 'You shouldn't sit in such a place, if you feel sleepy.'
...'What about the others?' Frodo asked. 'I wonder what sort of dreams they are having.'
...They went round to the other side of the tree, and then Sam understood the click that he had heard. Pippin had vanished. The crack, by which he had laid himself, had closed together, so that not a chink could be seen. Merry was trapped: another crack had closed about his waist; his legs lay outside, but the rest of him was inside a dark opening, the edges of which gripped like a pair of pincers.
...Frodo and Sam beat first upon the tree-trunk where Pippin had lain. They then struggled frantically to pull open the jaws of the crack that held poor Merry. It was quite useless.
...'What a foul thing to happen!' cried Frodo wildly. 'Why did we ever come into this dreadful Forest? I wish we were all back at Crickhollow!' He kicked the tree with all his strength, heedless of his own feet. A hardly perceptible shiver ran through the stem and up into the branches; the leaves rustled and whispered, but with a sound now of faint and far-off laughter."

2. Frodo comes to Bombadil.
(from the appendices)
..."But Frodo, without any clear idea of why he did so, or what he hoped for, ran along the path crying help! help! help! It seemed to him that he could hardly hear the sound of his own shrill voice.... ...He felt desperate: lost and witless.
...Suddenly he stopped. There was an answer, or so he thought; but it seemed to come from behind him, away down the path further back in the Forest. He turned round and listened, and soon there could be no doubt: someone was singing a song; a deep glad voice was singing carelessly and happily, but it was singing nonsense:

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!

Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

...Half hopeful and half afraid of some new danger, Frodo and Sam now both stood still. Suddenly out of a long string of nonsense-words (or so they seemed) the voice rose up loud and clear and burst into this song...

Hey! come merry dol! derry dol! My darling!

Light goes the weather-wind and the feathered starling.

Down along under Hill, singing in the sunlight,

Waiting on the doorstep for the cold starlight,

There my pretty lady is, River-woman's daughter....

......Frodo and Sam stood as if enchanted. The wind puffed out. The leaves hung silently again on stiff branches. There was another burst of song, and then suddenly, hopping and dancing along the path, there appeared above the reeds an old battered hat with a tall crown and a long blue feather stuck in the band. With another hop and a bound there came into view a man, or so it seemed. At any rate, he was too large and heavy for a hobbit, if not quite tall enough for one of the Big People, though he made noise enough for one, stumping along with great yellow boots on his thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. He had a blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright, and his face was red as a ripe apple, but creased into a hundred wrinkles of laughter. In his hands he carried on a large leaf as on a tray a small pile of white water-lilies.
...'Help!' cried Frodo and Sam running towards him with their hand stretched out.

...'Whoa! Whoa! Steady there!' cried the old man, holding up one hand, and they stopped short, as if they had been struck stiff. 'Now, my little fellows, where be you a-going to, puffing like bellows? What's the matter here then? Do you know who I am? I'm Tom Bombadil....'"

..."...Frodo as last, feeling his heart moved with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange. 'Fair lady Goldberry!' he said again. 'Now the joy that was hidden in the songs we heard is made plain to me.

'O slender as a willow-wand! O clearer than clear water!

O reed by the living pool! Fair river-daughter!

O spring-time and summer-time, and spring again after!

O wind on the waterfall, and the leaves' laughter!'

...Suddenly he stopped and stammered, overcome with surprise to hear himself saying such things. But Goldberry laughed.
...'Welcome!' she said. 'I had not heard that folk of the Shire were so sweet-tongued. But I see you are an elf-friend; the light in your eyes and the ring in your voice tells it. This is a merry meeting! Sit now, and wait for the Master of the house!'"

September 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They rest in Rivendell
"...The four hobbits stayed in Rivendell for some days, and they sat much with their old friend, who spent most of his time now in his room, except at meals. For these he was still very punctual as a rule, and he seldom failed to wake up in time for them."

September 26, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. The Company rides to the Grey Havens.
...Dread lay on Sam's heart. Despite the enchanting songs of the Elven-company as they made their way, the endless miles weighed heavier on him with each step. Yet when Sam would anxiously look over at Frodo riding beside him, he couldn't deny a peace on his friend's face that he hadn't seen since their return.

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2008, 10:46am

Post #14 of 21 (498 views)
Shortcut
Just a day in the Old Forest... [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, it always feels like it's been longer!

That gate clanking shut: what an ominous way to impress that they're now on their own, the Shire is no longer any protection.

We found out about Sam's sharp ears earlier; now we know he'll be the "alert" one on this trip!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27 2008, 11:55am

Post #15 of 21 (467 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 27, 3001 (S.R. 1401)

...Bilbo makes his way to Rivendell as Frodo and Hobbiton recover from the Long-Expected Party. Bilbo's mysterious disappearance, followed by Gandalf's, became the frenzied topic of conversation at the Green Dragon and every other pub and fence in the Shire.

September 27, 3018 (S.R. 1418)

1. Gandalf crosses Greyflood.
(from the appendices)
..."Ever as I came north I heard tidings of the Riders, and though I gained on them day by day, they were ever before me."

2. In the house of Tom Bombadil.
..."'Good morning, merry friends!' cried Tom, opening the eastern window wide. A cool air flowed in; it had a rainy smell. 'Sun won't show her face much today, I'm thinking. I have been walking wide, leaping on the hill-tops, since the grey dawn began, nosing wind and weather, wet grass underfoot, wet sky above me. I wakened Goldberry singing under the window; but nought wakes hobbit-folk in the early morning. In the night little folk wake up in the darkness, and sleep after light has come! Ring a ding dillo! Wake now, my merry friends! Forget the nightly noises! Ringa ding dillo del! derry del, my hearties! If you come soon you'll find breakfast on the table. If you come late you'll get grass and rain-water!'
...Needless to say—not that Tom's threat sounded very serious—the hobbits came soon, and left the table late and only when it was beginning to look rather empty.
......Frodo stood near the open door and watched the white chalky path turn into a little river of milk and go bubbling away down into the valley. Tom Bombadil came trotting round the corner of the house waving his arms as if he was warding off the rain—and indeed when he sprang over the threshold he seemed quite dry, except for his boots...
...'This is Goldberry's washing day,' he said, 'and her autumn-cleaning. Too wet for hobbit-folk—let them rest while they are able! It's a good day for long tales, for questions and for answers, so Tom will start the talking.
...He then told them many remarkable stories, sometimes half as if speaking to himself, sometimes looking at them suddenly with a bright blue eye under his deep brows... ...As they listened, they began to understand the lives of the Forest, apart from themselves, indeed to feel themselves as the strangers where all other things were at home...
......Then suddenly he stopped, and they saw that he nodded as if he was falling asleep. The hobbits sat still before him, enchanted... ...Whether the morning and evening of one day or of many days had passed Frodo could not tell. He did not feel either hungry or tired, only filled with wonder... ...He spoke at last out of his wonder and a sudden fear of that silence:
...'Who are you, Master?' he asked.
...'Eh, what?' said Tom sitting up, and his eyes glinting in the gloom. 'Don't you know my name yet? That's the only answer. Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless? But you are young and I am old. Eldest, that's what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless—before the Dark Lord came from Outside...'
......'Show me the precious Ring!' he said suddenly in the midst of the story: and Frodo, to his own astonishment, drew out the chain from his pocket, and unfastening the Ring handed it at once to Tom.
...It seemed to grow larger as it lay for a moment on his big brown-skinned hand. Then suddenly he put it to his eye and laughed. For a second the hobbits had a vision both comical and alarming, of his bright blue eyes gleaming through a circle of gold. Then Tom put the Ring round the end of his little finger and held it up to the candlelight. For a moment the hobbits noticed nothing strange about this. Then they gasped. There was no sign of Tom disappearing!
...Tom laughed again, and then he spun the Ring in the air—and it vanished with a flash. Frodo gave a cry—and Tom leaned forward and handed it back to him with a smile.
...Frodo looked at it closely, and rather suspiciously... ...He was perhaps a trifle annoyed with Tom for seeming to make so light of what even Gandalf thought so perilously important. He waited for an opportunity when the talk was going again... ...then he slipped the Ring on. Merry turned towards him to say something and gave a start, and checked an exclamation. Frodo was delighted (in a way)... ...He got up and crept quietly away from the fireside towards the outer door.
...'Hey there!' cried Tom, glancing towards him with a most seeing look in his shining eyes. 'Hey! come Frodo, there! Where be you a-going? Old Tom Bombadil's not as blind as that yet. Take off your golden ring! Your hand's more fair without it. Come back! Leave your game and sit down beside me! We must talk a while more, and think about the morning. Tom must teach the right road, and keep your feet from wandering.'
......Then he taught them a rhyme to sing, if they should by ill-luck fall into any danger of difficulty the next day.

...Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!

... By water, wood and hill, by reed and willow,

... by fire, sun and moon, harken now and hear us!

... Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!"

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2008, 12:15pm

Post #16 of 21 (446 views)
Shortcut
Washing-day [In reply to] Can't Post

Goldberry's washing-day...but what is she washing, and where is she doing the wash?

Daughter of the River indeed: she is washing the land within which they dwell, cleaning the summer's dust and drying leaves off the trees.

Yes: who are these two strange characters, presenting themselves in forms amenable to Hobbit sensibilities? Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 28 2008, 12:40pm

Post #17 of 21 (460 views)
Shortcut
Oh... the Maggoty dude [In reply to] Can't Post

in the film was a sad replacement or nod to our good Farmer. Nahh... he's just like the tree roots that swallowed Merry and Pippin. An acknowledgement. Appreciated, but leaves me slavering and slurping for more!

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 28 2008, 12:43pm

Post #18 of 21 (452 views)
Shortcut
"Presenting themselves in forms..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Precisely! I really thing Tom, fersher, can take on any form he wants... and he knew hobbits would relate to something fantastical straight out of their wildest imaginings. LOVE TOM!

That moment when Tom comes running through the rain at Frodo is another one of my favourites I can't WAIT to get to!

HUGGLES!

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2008, 6:07pm

Post #19 of 21 (462 views)
Shortcut
Hey - don't you have [In reply to] Can't Post

a drabble about Frodo acting in this peculiar Tom-like manner? Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2008, 8:56am

Post #20 of 21 (432 views)
Shortcut
That clanking of the gate [In reply to] Can't Post

really startled me the first time I heard it. It made me feel like the hobbits were being jailed. The Shire was freedom, everything else outside was a prison. They were no long free.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2008, 9:01am

Post #21 of 21 (471 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... I do... you enabler, you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and Sam in Valinor
Sam stood in the open doorway looking out at the pouring rain. The air smelled fresh and brilliant, untouched by living breath. He marvelled at the flowers lining the path. Indescribable colours and scents filled his mind as he remembered a similar rain-washed day long ago.
Suddenly Frodo came jogging across the yard waving his arms above his head. Sam stepped back as he sprang through the door, stopping short next to his friend, smiling triumphantly with only a few drops of the sweet rain on his shoulders.
"I'll never get used to that," said the gardener shaking his head.

sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.