Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
If you may be in the path of Gustav please check in.

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 30 2008, 10:09pm

Post #1 of 12 (179 views)
Shortcut
If you may be in the path of Gustav please check in. Can't Post

Sending prayers, good thoughts, vibes, luck and karma, out to all who will be in the path of this terrible hurricane. If you have a minute, please check in before, and after, to let us know how you are doing.

For the last two days we have been preparing as much as we can for this storm. Hurricane Rita, that passed over our area three years ago, taught us a lot on what we need in an emergency. We were left without power for almost eight days. The cleanup lasted for months. So I'm a bit gun shy this time. We are far enough (Lufkin, Texas) away to take in evacuees, so we are much safer that those that on the gulf. That said, one track has the storm passing over area.
Please keep us in your thoughts.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2008, 12:00am

Post #2 of 12 (111 views)
Shortcut
I'm on the receiving end for evacuees [In reply to] Can't Post

San Antonio welcomed quite a few new permanent residents after Katrina and Rita, even though we are Southwestern and not Southern.
Please keep the people already devastated in the Caribbean in your thoughts and prayers.

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Salty Coqui
Rivendell

Aug 31 2008, 12:16am

Post #3 of 12 (110 views)
Shortcut
Weather channel is useful to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a step sister in Texas and another in Georgia. Plus relatives of my inlaws in Cuba and it will be a while before my inlaws living here will hear from them. I think my other relations in the Caribbean got lots of rain. So to get the very latest in what's going on whenever I hear about a storm like this is go to the Weather channel or their site. The only thing that calms my nerves is when I hear a familiar voice over the phone saying everyone is ok. I feel helpless at my end mostly.

'Shop at The Gap of Rohan for all your back to school fashion needs!'

Patty
Immortal

Aug 31 2008, 2:36am

Post #4 of 12 (108 views)
Shortcut
I just read where Mayor Nagin is calling this... [In reply to] Can't Post

"the mother of all storms."

Stay safe, all my TornSibs in it's path.

Permanent address: Into the West

Menelwyn
Rohan

Aug 31 2008, 1:40pm

Post #5 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
looks like Houston will be ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately the most recent forecasts seem to indicate that we will not get hit directly, although we may get some rain from it. My thoughts are certainly with the people of Louisiana, facing another devastating hurricane so soon.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2008, 9:55pm

Post #6 of 12 (83 views)
Shortcut
evacuees have already been flown in today by the National Guard // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2008, 12:08am

Post #7 of 12 (73 views)
Shortcut
*nod* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been doing work all day, expecting to go for a run later, but looks like I've got some TORn time instead! (accompanied by the thunder and rain)

I've been checking the news regularly, and keeping up with Louisiana. Definitely sending thoughts and prayers that way. Heart I'm very relieved that they're talking lots of precautions, though.

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!
Site Updates:
Guestbook/Forum
There is now a comments page- anyone can leave a comment or question, but please stick to TORn rules on posting!
***The Journal has arrived in New Zealand!!!***

"Many people don't know this, but I'm actually famous." -Sam "Mayday" Malone, Cheers
"There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist." -Mark Twain
"Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero." -F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men? " -Hugo

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2008, 4:22am

Post #8 of 12 (57 views)
Shortcut
500 now, probably thousands more to come // [In reply to] Can't Post

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2008, 10:17am

Post #9 of 12 (51 views)
Shortcut
and their little dogs too [In reply to] Can't Post

A smaller airport here is housing the dogs, cats, chickens, etc. which evacuees brought along. It's set up with photo ID and lots of cages and equipment the city bought last year.

Freya Baggins
The Shire

Sep 1 2008, 1:02pm

Post #10 of 12 (53 views)
Shortcut
If the storm came my direction I'd be on the outskirts... [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Mid-Georgia so I should be ok except for some nasty Georgia Trashmovers (flood-type rainstorms) or maybe even a tornado or two...

Wife of Frodo Baggins and sister-in-law to Legolas Greenleaf.

I am a Holf, a hobbit-elf changling. (mostly an elf though.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2008, 3:08pm

Post #11 of 12 (55 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching it on the news right now [In reply to] Can't Post

and I also send my thoughts and prayers to everyone in the path of that storm! Let's hope the response is right this time and that those in harm's way got outta there!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Woodyend
Gondor

Sep 3 2008, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 12 (38 views)
Shortcut
A little bit of rain [In reply to] Can't Post

a little bit of wind, was all we had, along with almost 2500 evacuees, and almost 100 pets. Things have mostly gotten back to order. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.