Best Viggo film pre- LotR?

debo
Rohan

Aug 26 2008, 9:32pm

Post #1 of 19 (556 views)
Shortcut
Best Viggo film pre- LotR? Can't Post

What do you think?

Is it A Perfect Murder or something else?

I'd like to know what Y'all think!

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

Annael
Immortal

Aug 26 2008, 10:29pm

Post #2 of 19 (324 views)
Shortcut
that would be [In reply to] Can't Post

a great poll on the Pollantir page!

The best movie that Viggo was in prior to LOTR is "Witness," but he hardly had a line in it. The best movie where he played a major role - hmm - I'd have to say a toss-up between "The Indian Runner" and "The Prophecy," mostly because I don't like horror films yet I loved "The Prophecy," and even though he has only a small part he was riveting in it.

All imho of course, and I haven't seen all his pre-LOTR movies.

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

debo
Rohan

Aug 26 2008, 11:08pm

Post #3 of 19 (300 views)
Shortcut
True! Does a Mod want to move it for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2008, 12:35am

Post #4 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
Done. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

debo
Rohan

Aug 27 2008, 1:18am

Post #5 of 19 (282 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Silverlode [In reply to] Can't Post

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2008, 1:41am

Post #6 of 19 (299 views)
Shortcut
Viggo-poll!! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Walk on the Moon!
Woodstock, waterfall, and jug o'wine.
Good story too.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 27 2008, 2:06am

Post #7 of 19 (277 views)
Shortcut
I like bits and pieces of all of them... [In reply to] Can't Post

But none of them live up to the stuff he's doing right now, of course...or did in LOTR. You get good glimpses of what is to come though...

He's a great Amish farmer in Witness -- I live near Amish now and while none of the guys look like him, I do know a few who eat sushi and play guitars, which seem like Viggo things to do. But looking like an Amish farmer does not really show us all his acting skills, now does it? Still any movie with both Harrison Ford and V. cannot be all bad...

I liked his wilder moments in Indian Runner, but not the ending...he does crazy wacko pretty well in that one...could have done without the 60's wedding party though!

Walk on the Moon, well, it's hard not to like Walk on the Moon for many reasons, most of them involving waterfalls, moon landings or buying a blouse...

I like the ending of GI Jane, but not how brutal he is to her before that...

And I never got to see Perfect Murder, or Portrait of a Lady (I think that's one) or the one where he played Lucifer.

Did I miss any?

Weaver

diedye
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2008, 2:27am

Post #8 of 19 (283 views)
Shortcut
Vanishing Point and Indian Runner... [In reply to] Can't Post

You could feel the desperation his character had in trying to get to his wife and unborn child, his grief at losing his wife and how it led to his final decision to "end" his life. It may have been a TV movie, but Viggo put in a grade-A performance, IMO... as well as in Indian Runner.

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2008, 2:31am

Post #9 of 19 (275 views)
Shortcut
You mean you haven't seen... [In reply to] Can't Post

Young Guns 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (#?)
Albino Alligator
Crimson Tide
The Passion of Darkly Noon
..to name but a handful of his other pre LOTR films!
and yes weaver we only get glimpses of what we now get...

debo
Rohan

Aug 27 2008, 2:40am

Post #10 of 19 (273 views)
Shortcut
Crimson tide? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is he good in that?

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 27 2008, 2:54am

Post #11 of 19 (260 views)
Shortcut
alas, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen Hidalgo or Eastern Promises either or Alitriste in terms of post LOTR films...

I am blessed with two Viggo-sisters here, though, so we will need to plan a film-fest night. Or three.

Thanks for the list of ones we missed!

Weaver

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2008, 3:19am

Post #12 of 19 (281 views)
Shortcut
crimson tide [In reply to] Can't Post

good but pretty low key role (Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman have the big parts)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2008, 9:11am

Post #13 of 19 (262 views)
Shortcut
I like Walk on the Moon and GI Jane the most :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2008, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 19 (268 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pre- Indian Runner

Post - Hidalgo. I love that movie. Viggo & horses. It's like my perfect dream!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 2 2008, 2:59pm

Post #15 of 19 (281 views)
Shortcut
The Indian Runner [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson chose Mortensen based on a tape of clips Ordesky put together of his performances in Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, and The Prophecy. One does wonder just what part of Aragorn Jackson saw in those roles.

As for Mortensen's best role pre-LOTR, or indeed best ever, it has to be in The Indian Runner (1991).

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2008, 10:01pm

Post #16 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
Prophecy.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked this movie. He was pretty cool in it, and Viggo next to Christopher Walken is a must see in my books.
As for post....I liked him in Hidalgo and Eastern Promises. I haven't seen Hidalgo in a while, but I think I liked him best in Eastern Promises. Plays a some what evil character quite well.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

almas_sparks
Rohan

Sep 26 2008, 1:13am

Post #17 of 19 (271 views)
Shortcut
roguish Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was awesome in A Perfect Murder as a shady character. He tries to double-cross both Gwynnie and Michael Douglas. Movie was averige but he was really good as a slimeball. My favorite performance is,however, in eastern promisses, trully great. I`m yet to catch him in Indian Runner which is also highly praised and considered his best until Eastern promisses. As much as I love Aragorn, I think he trully shines in bad-ish roles.

I`m anticipating The Road feverishly. The book made me cry and movie stills of Viggo as the Father are spot-on. he looks exactly like I imagined the character.

Cegwyn
Bree

Feb 1 2009, 4:49am

Post #18 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Were there any?Sly Honestly, I had no idea he existed before LotR. I like all his post-Aragorn stuff, though.

You are most like Aragorn. You have strong convictions and you stick to them. Although you are more of a recluse, you are extremely loyal to the few friends that you have. You are very serious about things, but you like having fun. Fame and fortune mean little to you, and you aren't concerned with being popular. Good for you!

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 4 2009, 2:58pm

Post #19 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was very good in Crimson Tide. I saw The Indian Runner a long time ago so maybe I need to go back and rewatch it. Eastern Promises is his best film though after LOTR's. Brilliant job and his scene in the showers was oh so real and they nailed the life and death brutality of if perfectly.

Marching Towards the Abyss...........

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.