Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
This is the Smiley for above-I'm learning!

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Mar 25 2007, 7:45am

Views: 82
Shortcut
This is the Smiley for above-I'm learning! [In reply to] Can't Post

The repetition, the doubling and the long strands of interconnected narrative all mean something. They say that life is a series of cycles, and that we will likely meet the same kinds of archetypal guardians, opponents and allies at various stages along the way. But the nature of the conflicts changes as you age and grow over the span of an epic. Reading 'The Lord of the Rings' in my 20s, I was inspired by its idealism, but also terrified by its vision of middle life and old age as a patient, plodding struggle against the mundane grinding of evil. Seeing the movie meant something else to me from my current perspective, around the corner of age fifty, reminding me that the raw intensity of youthful dreams still has purity and power. At the same time, I felt the death of comrades in the movie keenly, for comrades have started to fall around me, and I looked to the story for the courage to continue the struggle without them.~As the legend says, 'One Ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.' We were certainly bound in the darkness, me and that afternoon's audience for the first chapter of 'The Lord of the Rings,' fellow travelers on a long journey together, seeking meaning for our shadowed world in the mirror of a myth, just as humans have always done.~Christopher Vogler

Subject User Time
Alan Lee Discussion #1 Introduction Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 24 2007, 9:23pm
    not a problem, of course! Luthien Rising Send a private message to Luthien Rising Mar 25 2007, 12:48am
    Yay! Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 25 2007, 1:06am
        I'll be glad to tell you Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 25 2007, 1:26am
        a few code tips Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 25 2007, 1:53am
    Thankyou for posting this wealth of Shadowfaxfan Send a private message to Shadowfaxfan Mar 25 2007, 7:26am
        This is the Smiley for above-I'm learning! Shadowfaxfan Send a private message to Shadowfaxfan Mar 25 2007, 7:45am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.