Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
BBC Radio Adaptation Lord of the Rings Episode 9B to 9E

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 12 2008, 5:23am

Post #1 of 8 (152 views)
Shortcut
BBC Radio Adaptation Lord of the Rings Episode 9B to 9E Can't Post

I decided to post everything tonight due to some scheduling and work stuff. Feel free to respond when you want over the next week and a half, and as always don't respond to everything. Thanks and enjoy!!!!!

Episode 9 B
1. Do you enjoy the sound of the falls in background? I love the interaction here between Sam and Faramir.
2. This notion came up on another board I visit but the notion of food and drink bringing not only refreshment to Sam and Frodo, but also a respite from the cares of the world. Does food and drink play such a role in your life by bringing a respite from the cares and struggles of life?
3. Nighy does it yet again here as he describes Galadriel to Faramir, and then how Boromir took his peril into Lorien.
4. We learn something more about Sam here that he is an observer of character and he judged correctly what Boromir wanted, even before Boromir realized it. What have we learned of Sam in the adaptation from when Gandalf catches him until he reveals the great secret of the ring to Faramir?
5. Does the ring theme in the background give you the feeling that Faramir is being tempted by the ring to seize it?
6. Is a listener able to see the differences between Boromir nad Faramir as Faramir rejects the ring and remains true to his words, to the decision he has already made?
7. Does Andrew Seear give you the “air of Numenor” in his portrayl of Faramir?
8. What are your impressions of the conversation between Eowyn and Aragorn? Does Is Sir Robert Stephens sounding more like Aragorn to anyone yet? Personally I really enjoy his adaptation of Aragorn at this point. I get the feeling that he is noble and has committed to his purpose to gain the desire of his heart, Arwen, while also fulfilling his role to defeat Sauron.

Episode 9 C
1. A nice note that I enjoy here is the recital of the prophesy by Aragorn as the company passes the doors to the Path of the Dead. Now we know exactly why he has come here. Are there any little nuggets in this episode that you really enjoy?
2. I have to admit that the music here seems really creepy and Gimli really brings out the sense of doom that the company is facing. Did you find the music in this part of the episode to reinforce that the dead are present and following?
3. Another nugget for me is the unfurling of the Standard of Arwen. This just cements for me that Aragorn is coming as the King Returning.
4. I’ve mentioned the Narrator here, Gerard Murphy, and for me, his narration is changing in terms of tone, urgency and pressure. What are your impressions of the role of the narrator? Has he changed?
5. I really think here that Sir Ian Holm really gives the listener the impression that he has true pity and compassion for Gollum. What are your thoughts on Frodo and Gollum here?
6. One of the things I enjoy about the adaptation is the fact that here I really feel the betrayal that Gollum felt towards Frodo. What did you enjoy about the scene at Henneth Annun?
Episode 9 D
1. Do you get the feeling of desperation from Gollum during his questioning by Faramir?
2. Did anyone else notice that the night before when learning that Frodo, Sam and Gollum are going to go to Cirith Ungol, there is a lack of urgency in Faramir’s voice when compared to the next morning? Why the change do you think?
3. Does Frodo’s rebuttal to Faramir provide insight by inferring that Faramir may have wanted Frodo to go with him to Minis Tirith for protection? I really am interested in hearing your responses here.
4. I enjoy the discussion of Pippin and Gandalf, and the background information it provides to the listener. I find that much of the background is not only given by the narrator, but by conversation with Gandalf (and others).

Episode 9 E
1. What did you think of Pippin swearing his oath as Denethor administers it?
2. I really enjoy Richard O’Callaghan (Merry) and John McAndrew’s (Pippin) performance, especially from when the are taken captives until the end. What are your impressions of their performance? I think I like them more then Dom and Billy’s performance (which are also very good).
3. What do you think of Peter Vaughn’s Denethor?
4. Did you get the feeling that Pippin was in a tight corner? Did that come across?
5. The story is now coming to four parts, going to the Grey Company, Frodo, Minis Tirith, and Rohan. Are you able to stay up with this? I know we discussed this before but I am just wondering if things are moving too fast?
6. Another nugget for me is the delivery of the Red Arrow. Any nuggets for any of you in this episode?
7. I enjoyed Theoden’s firmness in determining that he will lead his army to war, even if it means his death. I may have to reconsider who my favorite character is. Has anyone else changed who their favorite character is due to the performance of an actor in the adaptation?
8. I love the visual imagery used at the end of this episode with Frodo and Sam. The air itself seems to become foreboding of the evil that is waiting and coming. I love these lines and the way they are delivered by the Narrator and by the actors of Frodo and Sam: “There seemed to be a great blackness looming slowly out of the East, eating up the faint, blurred stars. The sinking moon was ringed all about with a sickly yellow glare.” “Grey vapours arise in the east out of Mordor. The twilight is deepening.” It truly gives to me a feeling that a storm is about to be unleashed.
9. I love how in the adaptation Frodo seems to lose hope, and Sam seems to have hope for both of them. Then something comes along that shows to Frodo that his quest though hopeless to him, shows that though he may think he is doomed, evil cannot conqueror for ever. I really enjoyed the description that Sir Ian Holm gives of the statue of the King and his cloven head on the crown with the crown of flowers.
10. What do you think of Merry and Dernhelm? Why does not Merry recognize Eowyn?
11. This episode ends in song. What are your impressions? I had to listen to it a couple of times to understand all the words (or listen with the transcript opened). What mood (if any) does the

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 14 2008, 2:19pm

Post #2 of 8 (44 views)
Shortcut
Great Post! I'll be back... I promise! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

Aug 15 2008, 8:32pm

Post #3 of 8 (63 views)
Shortcut
I'll be back too, AJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got sick right after the grandkids left, and haven't taken the time to listen to the episode. I'm not sure yet, but I think this surgery may be on Wednesday. Since these stay up a good while now, I'll catch up after it's over and I'm back in the mood to focus on it.

You do such a great job!

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 16 2008, 1:23am

Post #4 of 8 (38 views)
Shortcut
No problem with [In reply to] Can't Post

waiting. I posted a lot of episodes in one swoop so I don't expect everyone to post up. Life is busy, I know mine has become swamped with summer over (for me) and I'm back to the routine of doing all that work entails. My posts and others will be around and can be replied to whenever.

Patty, good luck with your surgery and I hope everything goes well.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18 2008, 2:57pm

Post #5 of 8 (50 views)
Shortcut
Incoming!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

When Frodo told Faramir that Boromir bore a horn… and that soft horn began to play… it teared up so fast that I had trouble seeing. What a surprising effect it had on me!

I have to say, I'm so delighted to hear such a complete episode with Faramir, Frodo and Sam!!! This is one of my favourite parts of all the whole story; and to hear them live the story with perfect inflections, emotions and humour is a complete delight to me!

Episode 9 B

Do you enjoy the sound of the falls in background? I love the interaction here between Sam and Faramir.
I like the reverence and wonder they give to the falls and Sam's delight as he enjoyed it from such a unique vantage point. Anything where Sam is involved is a thrill :D
I also like the reverb of their voices to soundly place them in the cave.

Does the ring theme in the background give you the feeling that Faramir is being tempted by the ring to seize it?

The ring of the Ring and the stress in Faramir's voice really does make it unmistakable that Faramir is being tempted by the Ring.

I like that they show the strain on Frodo when he's recovering from his fear of the Ring being taken as Sam and he draw their swords as the feel threatened by Faramir… as he does in the book. I've always interpreted it as Frodo being so overwhelmed by the near-miss of danger; but now I also wonder if it's because of the exertion of the Ring as it's aimed at Faramir but must also be doing the same thing to Frodo.

This exchange, Sam's panic, and Frodo's release afterwards was wonderfully accurate to what I feel when I read. "Did I so, Sam?" [text] "Did I so?" One of my favourite lines in the book. Nighy's Sam has me in love with that character all the more. I was in tears by the end.

Does Andrew Seear give you the “air of Numenor” in his portrayl of Faramir?

Absolutely! Seear is wonderful as Faramir… better than I'd hoped for :D

What are your impressions of the conversation between Eowyn and Aragorn? Does Is Sir Robert Stephens sounding more like Aragorn to anyone yet? Personally I really enjoy his adaptation of Aragorn at this point. I get the feeling that he is noble and has committed to his purpose to gain the desire of his heart, Arwen, while also fulfilling his role to defeat Sauron.
Oh yeah… fersher! It wouldn't be much of a stretch for either one of them to adjust their voice to fit the others'.
For me, the debate between Eowyn and Aragorn is a bit forced. I'm afraid Eowyn's representative is a bit of a distraction for me. A bit more dramatic and forced, imho.

Episode 9 C

A nice note that I enjoy here is the recital of the prophesy by Aragorn as the company passes the doors to the Path of the Dead. Now we know exactly why he has come here. Are there any little nuggets in this episode that you really enjoy?
Ahhhh…. The Prophesy. Wonderful!

I have to admit that the music here seems really creepy and Gimli really brings out the sense of doom that the company is facing. Did you find the music in this part of the episode to reinforce that the dead are present and following?
This is a wonderful example of less is more where the music is concerned. The suspense is palpable! Having the travelers nearly whispering also adds to the dire feeling of their passage. This is wonderful! I wish Legolas' voice were a bit softer/lighter than it is. It's a bit harsher than it could have been for me… like Orlando's is for his Legolas. More mystical.

Another nugget for me is the unfurling of the Standard of Arwen. This just cements for me that Aragorn is coming as the King Returning.

I really think here that Sir Ian Holm really gives the listener the impression that he has true pity and compassion for Gollum. What are your thoughts on Frodo and Gollum here?
Fishessessss! Bwhahahahaha! I love it that Frodo says it the way Gollum would, and then that Faramir says it the same way…. Then Gollum's first word is said the exact same way! *still smiling* LOVE IT!

Episode 9 D

Do you get the feeling of desperation from Gollum during his questioning by Faramir?
*plop* "Don't want fish."
This Smeagol is so terrified and pitiable.

Did anyone else notice that the night before when learning that Frodo, Sam and Gollum are going to go to Cirith Ungol, there is a lack of urgency in Faramir’s voice when compared to the next morning? Why the change do you think?
Good point on the lack of urgency when Faramir spoke of Cirith Ungol. He's more urgent the next morning. My thought is that Faramir was careful not to give Gollum the impression that he was fearful of it to keep Gollum from thinking it would be a more dangerous or useful tool if he (Faramir) seemed not so afraid of it. I think it was strategic, not unimpressed.

Does Frodo’s rebuttal to Faramir provide insight by inferring that Faramir may have wanted Frodo to go with him to Minis Tirith for protection? I really am interested in hearing your responses here.
"Malice eats him like a canker." My impression of Faramir's plea for Frodo to go with him is out of an urgent desire to protect Frodo. I really don't think the Ring is having much, if any, of an impact on his request. Faramir knows he can't go with Frodo, and knows that the way Gollum (filled with malice) will lead him to most certain death if he goes that way. The protection is what Faramir wishes for Frodo out of desperation to save him and help. Frodo's clear rebuttal is equally fervent, but not out of fear or lack of appreciation for what Faramir is trying to do for him. It comes from the clear understanding of what will happen if he turns aside and goes to the City. Faramir does understand, but he's a protector and a healer who cannot stand seeing Frodo and Sam go on to torment and death. Who's to say Faramir's blessing wasn't as potent as Galadriel, Aragorn, Gandalf or Elrond's at helping them survive

I enjoy the discussion of Pippin and Gandalf, and the background information it provides to the listener. I find that much of the background is not only given by the narrator, but by conversation with Gandalf (and others).
More water! The fountain spilling water into the pool of a dead tree seems as futile as Denethor's ruling quality at this point. Fruitless.
What fascinates me is to listen to Gandalf speak in very formal fashion such as Denethor then again more relaxed/contemporary as he speaks with Pippin.

Episode 9 E

What did you think of Pippin swearing his oath as Denethor administers it?
I love how Pippin stands up to Denethor and is not undone by his aggressiveness. Yes, this Pippin is very resourceful, versatile, clear in his understanding and emotions. I love McAndrew's voice and energy! And O'Callaghan's Merry! Yeah… they're fantastic!

What do you think of Peter Vaughn’s Denethor?
He's as Shakespearean as John Noble's in the films. He pulls it off very well and is, actually, more Denethor of the text for me than Noble was. Vaughn's is more frantic at times and less malicious as I've always.

The story is now coming to four parts, going to the Grey Company, Frodo, Minis Tirith, and Rohan. Are you able to stay up with this? I know we discussed this before but I am just wondering if things are moving too fast?
Not tribble at all. I really love that they've moved from one storyline to another so flawlessly. Really… it's less distracting than a full chunk of story here the falling into another.

Another nugget for me is the delivery of the Red Arrow. Any nuggets for any of you in this episode?
True, true on the Red Arrow! A great little nugget from the text. I have to say I still don't like the clank and chink of the horses' hardware as they talk. I know they've using this to define who is talking, but it's not necessary through the whole piece, imho.

I enjoyed Theoden’s firmness in determining that he will lead his army to war, even if it means his death. I may have to reconsider who my favorite character is. Has anyone else changed who their favorite character is due to the performance of an actor in the adaptation?
Theoden sounds more like Treebeard to me. I'm afraid I really loved Bernard Hill's Theoden so much; it'll take some to ingratiate someone else in that part for me.

I love the visual imagery used at the end of this episode with Frodo and Sam. The air itself seems to become foreboding of the evil that is waiting and coming. I love these lines and the way they are delivered by the Narrator and by the actors of Frodo and Sam: “There seemed to be a great blackness looming slowly out of the East, eating up the faint, blurred stars. The sinking moon was ringed all about with a sickly yellow glare.” “Grey vapours arise in the east out of Mordor. The twilight is deepening.” It truly gives to me a feeling that a storm is about to be unleashed.
I love that we move from Frodo and Sam's comments of what they see and feel straight into the others' impressions of the very same thing. For these factions to have their stories joined by this observation brings them together in a way that struck me so strongly!! United. Still a Fellowship!

I love how in the adaptation Frodo seems to lose hope, and Sam seems to have hope for both of them. Then something comes along that shows to Frodo that his quest though hopeless to him, shows that though he may think he is doomed, evil cannot conqueror for ever. I really enjoyed the description that Sir Ian Holm gives of the statue of the King and his cloven head on the crown with the crown of flowers.
O Sam and his poor pipe. Frodo's quite forceful and anxious when Sam becomes aware he's right there. So many lines here that are straight out of the book! Oh Goodie! The Crossroads! The Sun!! GLORIOUS! Frodo is so excited and Sam is so sweet in seeing it broken. "Poor old king."

"They cannot conquer forever." *geeky hand-clapping*

This episode ends in song. What are your impressions? I had to listen to it a couple of times to understand all the words (or listen with the transcript opened).
Oh… I understand the reasoning behind the song; but no singing, please and thank you. *spasm*

GREAT QUESTIONS! They really helped me focus on what were the strong and/or personal points of the play. THANK YOU!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 10:57am

Post #6 of 8 (200 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

9B
Poor Sam. He's so upset when he accidently blurts out the truth, I know I keep saying it, but Bill Nighy is most excellent as Sam!!!
I always like the Ring sound, whenever something is happening that concerns it. It feels like the Ring is reaching out to Faramir, trying to tempt him.
To me, Faramir seems alot more noble than his brother. Even his voice sounds more regal. He's not as rash and hot-headed as Boromir, and he is respectful of the hobbits and their task.
I have certainly warmed to Aragorn as the play has progressed. He sounds like a man who has finally accepted his destiny.
The Eowyn in the version seems a little more bitter to me, a little harsher than movie Eowyn.

9C
Great music for this scene! Very creepy and forboding, the narration does very well hear to build the atmosphere too. I think we needed Aragorn to explain why he has come here. Otherwise it wouldn't have been very clear for those who hadn't read the books. I'm really not keen on the musical horns. Boromir's horn, and now the horn that Aragorn blows, neither of them sound right to me.

I will respond to D & E when I return on Monday, I'm off camping at a festival for a few days!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2008, 5:14pm

Post #7 of 8 (27 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for not juping into the discussion earlier. I got way behind in my listening these past couple of weeks ... not to mention that my husband borrowed the CDs so he could listen to it while commuting to work! (It's a good thing that we stretched out the discussion schedule.) Here are some of my thoughts on this episode:

Music:

- Boromir's horn call is reprised as Faramir describes how he last saw his brother floating down the river in a boat. This was a nice way to tie together all of the strands of Boromir's story.

- The music for the Paths of the Dead reminded me of the music for the Dead Marshes. The high-pitched string theme overlying the low thrumming of the bass gave it an eerie, ominous, tense feeling that suited this section pretty well. I had actually not noticed the bass line before because I've mostly listened to it while driving in the car, and the engine noise tends to cover it up!

- Again, we have the muted horn call to summon the army of the dead. Again, I'd rather have heard something that's less melodious and more like a shofar or some other ancient horn. Boromir's musical horn call works better because it's tied in with both his musical theme and the music associated with Minas Tirith.

- The song that ends this episode is one of my favorites from the adaptation! It really gets across the urgency of the ride of the Rohirrim and its rhythm reminds me of hoofbeats. Hearing it sung aloud made me appreciate Tolkien's use of alliteration to give it the sense of an epic poem. (A full version of the song is on the music CD, which some of the boxed sets have.) Its segue into the closing music is one of the most stirring parts of the episode.

Characterization:

- Faramir comes across as a less confident, less boastful, more thoughtful sort of man than Boromir. Andrew Seear does a nice job of showing his quiet nobility, which comes out both in his dealings with Frodo and Sam and with his father Denethor.

- Denethor is almost perfect. His harshness and asperity show through, as does his desire to cling to power. He's not presented as a crazy old man, but one who is becoming desperate in his desire to save Gondor. It sets up the contrast for later, when he DOES lose it.

- Sam continues to show new facets of his character, including a pugnacious streak and a perceptive side.

- Gollum's sense of betrayal at Henneth Annun shows clearly, and it's reflected in his treatment of Frodo and Sam afterwards. No more attempts to play nice and curry favor; he hustles them to Minas Morgul and their appointment at Cirith Ungol at full speed.

- I still find it implausible that Merry doesn't realize that Dernhelm is Eowyn.

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Aug 27 2008, 5:17pm)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2008, 9:04pm

Post #8 of 8 (23 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

she wore a fake beard Tongue

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.