Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us,

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 11 2008, 10:43pm

Post #1 of 13 (179 views)
Shortcut
"Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, Can't Post

high they builded us, but they are gone."

On Saturday Uncle Baggins and I went hiking to one of our favorite places: an unnamed mountain up on the Continental Divide that we are pretty sure is an archaeological site. I read an article in the paper decades ago about a medicine wheel that had been vandalized in the park; people had rearranged the stones into a peace symbol. I kind of blame the rangers; they're secretive about which rock formations are archaeological sites, so when ignorant people come across them, they think "Oh, people have been arranging the rocks. What fun." And they rearrange them too. Anyway, I searched for years with no success, until I finally found a Canadian website with a list of medicine wheels in North America. It gave enough information for me to pinpoint this site, and when I went to it, there were several cairns on top of a mountain. I don't know if they are anything like their original arrangement, but it still feels like a magical place.

It was really beautiful Saturday. We got up at 3:30 and left home at 5 and drove for a couple of hours to get on the trail at 7:30, so we could get down before afternoon thunderstorms. It was misty and mysterious. It's a steep climb, but relatively short. We got on top at ten, and ate lunch. The sun came out, and butterflies flitted among the wildflowers. Absolutely heavenly. The only bad thing was the terrible devastation in the valley to the west: the pine bark beetles have killed about half the trees, and the epidemic is spreading. Luckily it only infests pine trees, but it's still stunningly horrible. After our hike we visited a campground that's been a family favorite for decades, and found out that the rangers have cut down all the trees, since they were dead and likely to fall and kill campers. I felt like Treebeard; "Many of these trees were my friends." But it's part of a natural cycle, and a good forest fire will allow the pine trees to germinate and start over.

Here's a slideshow of the photos; I hope this works:

slideshow

A few of the photos made me think especially of LotR:

Bridge at Rivendell

Hobbit hole

Rivendell Valley

And here are some tiny red oliphaunts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 11 2008, 10:44pm)

vtboyarc
Lorien

Aug 12 2008, 12:00am

Post #2 of 13 (89 views)
Shortcut
nice [In reply to] Can't Post

wow thats beautiful!!!

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2008, 12:52am

Post #3 of 13 (63 views)
Shortcut
An Oliphaunt it was! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, I'd never seen those before, the elephant-head flowers!

What an out-of-the-way place - and right in the midst of all the wilderness! Do they know who used that medicine wheel, or when?

And how did you ever get that marmot to come so close!

Thanks, Aunt Dora!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 3:09am

Post #4 of 13 (66 views)
Shortcut
Marmots come close [In reply to] Can't Post

because the tourists feed them, despite it's being against the rules. The animals in the park are pretty tame. Often we drive past elk that are standing on the shoulder of the road, and Uncle Baggins says "Roll down your window and spank it on the butt." But I don't ;-)

I don't know if it really was a medicine wheel or not, or anything about it. Mostly the Utes and Arapaho were in the area.

The flowers are actually called Elephant Head, and they delighted me as a child. The rangers used to tell a story about how these elephants somehow were magically reduced in size, and they were so embarrassed that they huddled together and blushed, which is why they're that color. We used to call them Little-Red-Elephant-Head flowers. I did a quick search and found this page about them: Elephanthead

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 12 2008, 10:29am

Post #5 of 13 (53 views)
Shortcut
What a beautiful place! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome photos. Thanks for posting.

I love the Elephant head flowers! I never heard of them before. I previously had the idea that one day I want a planter shaped like a dragon with snapdragons in it, and another shaped like a turtle with turtleheads in it. Now I've added to my list: a planter shaped like an elephant with elephant heads in it!

"There was among them a family of high repute, for it was large and wealthier than most, and it was ruled by a grandmother of the folk, stern and wise in old lore, such as they had. The most inquisitive and curious minded of that family was called Sméagol."

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 12:14pm

Post #6 of 13 (63 views)
Shortcut
That low sun shot of Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

is just magnificent....stunningShocked. The sense of space is ...reeling:). *deep breath*....

The little copse of trees is a curious site/sight. One can imagine a lot of things popping out of thereLaugh.

I had trouble with the slide show until, with repeated attempts to upgrade, was able to see it all. That engelman's spruce does look cedar like. That marmot is a cute thing.

The situation with the trees gives me a sick feeling. More fires, or controlled fires are a healthy thing. Does the beetle affected ALL the different kinds of pines? The ponderosa and bristlecone pines are such fantastic living things.

I can see those flowers with the butterflies dancing. Do you hear any humm from the bees?

...And the shadows moving ever so slowly across the landscape.

Your energetic curiousity brought new adventures, for me too.

I must come back to all these pictures a few more times. Thanks much you two:)

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 2:09pm

Post #7 of 13 (47 views)
Shortcut
Mostly lodgepole pines are susceptible. [In reply to] Can't Post

The rangers we talked to said that the beetles could infest other kinds of pines, but that they preferred lodgepole. Here's an article: link

The low sun shot was taken at dawn. We almost never get up that early; usually we see that scene at sunset, so it was fun to get the different light.

I don't remember hearing any bees, though there were a few. But the butterflies were amazing. It was really like a bit of paradise.

You might recognize the hat ;-) It's been shading my eyes all summer.

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 2:45pm

Post #8 of 13 (40 views)
Shortcut
the pine beetles are really taking over the West [In reply to] Can't Post

seems like half the trees are dead on some hills. Going to make for some nasty forest fires soon - but that's the only cure.

I'm glad it's lodgepoles, though - they're scrub trees that come back fast. I'd be heartsick if they were infesting the Ponderosas or larch.

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 2:56pm

Post #9 of 13 (43 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how near the animals you got.
Had never seen the elephant headed flowers before; the story how they were formed seems very fitting :)
Thank you so much for once again sharing your photos!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2008, 8:31pm

Post #10 of 13 (55 views)
Shortcut
He says WHAT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Um...I don't think I'd want to try that! Laugh

I know how the elephants reduced in size - someone looked at them through the wrong end of the binoculars.

Well, the top of that hill does make a nice spot for some sort of stoneworks, anyway! Even a labyrinth...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 13 2008, 2:23am

Post #11 of 13 (45 views)
Shortcut
There go our telephone/power poles. [In reply to] Can't Post

My run is in port newark and this is the only 'tree' i can usually seeUnimpressed.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

By El~Cugu

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 13 2008, 2:56pm

Post #12 of 13 (28 views)
Shortcut
Do you know this song? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rolling Mills of New Jersey

It's a parody by Roberts and Barrand on their "Live at Holstein's" album. The funniest part of the rocording is listening to these two very British guys singing in a New Jersey accent. The tune is beautiful.

Well, at least you have your beautiful lake getaway :-)

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 14 2008, 2:00am

Post #13 of 13 (29 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

LolLaugh.
Now if i could a just 'hoid' that live.
Oh, the candorUnsureLaugh.
Well, (warning) exit 12 on the Joisey turnpike still smells rank from the petroroma conglomeration. At least the landfills are mostly closed. All the garbage is mass convoyed to 'Pencilvania' by the stinkiest trucks...no the cattle trucks in the mid west were worse where i went to school. Even though, on the mc i can smell one of those trucks from a couple miles up route 80.

Come to think of it, i could show you up mountainwise. All i have to do is take a picture of the closed landfillsSly.

By El~Cugu

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.