Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Denver in 2008?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 9:17pm

Post #26 of 36 (157 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I want to lead the charge on finding a cabin, though I'll be glad to do some research. But I'll be happy to pick out a hike or two if anyone wants me to do that. There's one that is at pretty high elevation (11,500 feet), but also pretty level, so you get a mountain peak experience without a long climb. And the view always reminds me of looking down into Rivendell. It doesn't have a real goal, so you don't have to worry about getting to the end, and it's only two miles from where you start to where we usually turn around (because after that it descends sharply into the forest.) I have other ideas too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Feb 24 2007, 1:13pm

Post #27 of 36 (154 views)
Shortcut
So Long As We Can Drive to it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to be that high up.

Back in 1990, we spent a few days up in Paradise Inn, part way up Mt. Rainier. I LOVE heights. Oddly, while I'm kind of asthmatic and not in the best shape, I feel much better walking at higher elevations.

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 24 2007, 3:48pm

Post #28 of 36 (174 views)
Shortcut
We should be able to in August. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's up on Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous paved highway in the continental US (the high point is about 12,000 feet). It's generally open between Memorial Day and about October 1, though once it was closed by snow on July 4 (an unusual occurrence.) The exact spot I was thinking of has limited parking, so on second thoughts I'm thinking of another piece of the same trail on the same road that has a bigger parking lot. The trail is called the Ute Trail, and was used by the Utes to follow the elk herds from one side of the Continental Divide to the other in the summer.

Here's a photo taken from one of the overlooks on the road:
Forest Canyon Overlook

Forest Canyon is the valley that reminds me of Rivendell. If there are folks who don't feel up to hiking, the drive itself is spectacular.

I could also lead a hike that might be more of a climb for those who are interested, but I should warn you I am a very slow hiker. (I generally average about one mile an hour when I'm climbing a mountain.) I've been having trouble myself lately with asthma and arthritis, so who knows what I'll be up for by 2008, but there are some very nice hikes to mountain lakes or peaks we could choose from.

(If any of you want to do Longs Peak you're on your own. It's the highest mountain in the park at 14,200 feet, and way beyond my capabilities now, though I did it when I was young. Scariest experience ever.)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 24 2007, 4:58pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 24 2007, 7:23pm

Post #29 of 36 (168 views)
Shortcut
Most of the intersection, at least in the central part of downtown [In reply to] Can't Post

have diagonal crossing.

Except for the intersections along the 16th Street Mall.

Children’s Interpretations of the Bible

Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 24 2007, 7:24pm

Post #30 of 36 (138 views)
Shortcut
To meet TORNsibs [In reply to] Can't Post

I could probably be talked into a hike myself.

As long as it wasn't too early in the morning. Wink

Children’s Interpretations of the Bible

Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

Eärwen Swan Maiden Of Alqualondë
Bree

Mar 25 2007, 8:07pm

Post #31 of 36 (135 views)
Shortcut
My first time entering the TORN Moot thread [In reply to] Can't Post

And this one got my attention for sure. My home is only an hour south of Denver. Although due to school I am not sure exactly where I will be in Aug 2008, if everything falls into place I would love to join in the fun!Laugh

Peek-A-Boo!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 26 2007, 3:04pm

Post #32 of 36 (122 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

As we get closer to the date, I'm sure we'll all have a better idea of when and where and what to do.

Thanks for chiming in Smile

Isis
Bree

Jun 18 2007, 12:46pm

Post #33 of 36 (140 views)
Shortcut
I'm there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Computer issues and RL have kept me away from the boards for a looong time but I just wanted to say: I am definitely going to be attending WorldCon next Summer. I'll be there with a bunch of George Martin fans but I am up for meeting with some Ringers while I'm there. I'll keep an eye on this thread in the meantime. Smile

To Generalise is to be an Idiot To Particularize is the Alone Distinction of Merit - General Knowledges are those Knowledges that Idiots possess.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 18 2007, 3:21pm

Post #34 of 36 (113 views)
Shortcut
All right! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great, Isis! I'm looking forward to meeting you in person Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 19 2007, 4:04am

Post #35 of 36 (135 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Isis! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thrilled to #1) have you back at TORn and, #2) learn you'll be at WorldCon. I'm also a big Martin fan and am tickled that he'll be there as I've missed his last two visits to Denver for various reasons (did you go to his book signing, was it in 2005, or his last appearance recently?).

We'll definitely have to have some quality TORnsib time planned both at (e.g., lunches), and outside (e.g., adventures) of, the con. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Isis
Bree

Jul 2 2007, 12:51pm

Post #36 of 36 (455 views)
Shortcut
GRRM.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. :) Well, my internet problems still extend to NOT being able to post here (posting this from work) and not being able to post replies beyond a certain number of words elsewhere online. Answers on a postcard of anyone can explain that security measure to me! Crazy

I last saw GRRM at the London signing of AFFC back in 2005. I think we're all crossing our fingers that we might see book five by the time WorldCon rolls around next year, so that'll make it extra exciting. I'm hoping to build a three week holiday around the con so I should have plenty of time for mooting. Smile

To Generalise is to be an Idiot To Particularize is the Alone Distinction of Merit - General Knowledges are those Knowledges that Idiots possess.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.