Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
I would think of

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 26 2007, 1:49pm

Views: 77
Shortcut
I would think of [In reply to] Can't Post

Mont St Michel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_St_Michel

And its English counterpart, St Michael's Mount
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michael%E2%80%99s_Mount

Both of which have the city on a hill with different levels, and there's a path which leads through the streets to the keep at the top. Only difference is they are at sea, not near a mountain. This picture shows the sort of thing I was thinking of

I'm sure Tolkien was familiar with both of them and Minas Tirith is a romanticised version of them.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Subject User Time
JRRT Author & Illustrator, ch. 5: LOTR: Building Middle-Earth Luthien Rising Send a private message to Luthien Rising Mar 23 2007, 8:55pm
    Orthanc is described as alien Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 24 2007, 1:48am
    The Two Towers (and a city) Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Mar 24 2007, 3:02am
    Take care of yourself! Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 24 2007, 11:46am
    Orthanc and Minas Tirith drogo Send a private message to drogo Mar 24 2007, 11:57am
    I don't have any words of wisdom about towers, but Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 24 2007, 2:04pm
    Orthanc and Minas Tirith. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 25 2007, 11:30am
        Here's an idealized medieval castle FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 25 2007, 1:46pm
            Once again I show my ignorance of the movies. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 25 2007, 2:19pm
                I'm not sure it's Norman FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 25 2007, 2:35pm
                    And my ignorance of Norman architecture. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 25 2007, 5:25pm
                        ;-) FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 25 2007, 6:08pm
                    I would think of Owlyross Send a private message to Owlyross Mar 26 2007, 1:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.