Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
** Bored of the Rings, Chapter 1** -- The mewling boggies wagged their vestigial tails with wonder…

squire
Half-elven

Jul 17 2008, 11:38pm

Post #1 of 22 (1688 views)
Shortcut
** Bored of the Rings, Chapter 1** -- The mewling boggies wagged their vestigial tails with wonder… Can't Post

The season was cool, early autumn, heralding the annual change in the boggie dessert from whole watermelons to whole pumpkins. But the younger boggies who were not yet too obese to trundle their hulkish selves through the thoroughfares of the town saw evidence of a future treat at the forthcoming celebration: fireworks!
As the day of the party drew nearer, carts drawn by sturdy plow-goats rolled through the bullrush gates of Boggietown, laden with boxes and crates, each bearing the X-rune of Goodgulf the Wizard and various elvish brand names.
A. How do you react to the image of mature boggies being too obese to walk?
B. Again, there is a more or less delicate balance here between Tolkien’s text, and the authors’ parodic reconstruction. Can you explicate the differences?

The crates were unloaded and opened at Dildo's door, and the mewling boggies wagged their vestigial tails with wonder at the marvelous contents. There were clusters of tubes mounted on tripods to shoot rather outsized roman candles; fat, finned skyrockets, with odd little buttons at the front end, weighing hundreds of pounds; a revolving cylinder of tubes with a crank to turn them; and large "cherry bombs" that looked to the children more like little green pineapples with a ring inserted at the top. Each crate was labeled with an olive-drab elf-rune signifying that these toys had been made in the elf-shops of a fairy whose name was something very much like "Amy Surplus."
C. What is the joke about vestigial tails? Hint: I now think it is far more tasteless than I once did.
D. Can you identify the various “fireworks”?
E. The “Amy Surplus” joke is too labored for my taste. How often do these guys get their tone and balance right?

Dildo watched the unpacking with a broad grin and sent the young ones scampering with a vicious swipe of a well-honed toenail. "G'wan, beat it, scram!" he called merrily after them as they disappeared. He then laughed and turned back to his boggie-hole, to talk to his guest within.
"This'll be one fireworks display they won't forget," cackled the ageing boggie to Goodgulf, who was puffing his cigar rather uncomfortably in a chair of tasteless elvish-modern. The floor around it was littered with four-letter Scrabble arrangements.
"I am afraid that you must alter your plans for them," said the Wizard, unsnaggling a clot of tangled hair in his long, dirty gray beard. "You cannot use extermination as a method for settling your petty grudges with the townspeople."

F. What is the joke of the “well-honed toenail”?
G. What is Dildo planning to do? Is this funny?
H. What BotR theme does Goodgulf’s chair pick up on? Is its presence consistent with Dildo’s character as established?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

sador
Half-elven

Jul 18 2008, 6:58am

Post #2 of 22 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Additional Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Did the BotR crew read 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil'? If so, were 'the mewling boggies' a sly reference to the mewlips? How many people could have been expected to understand this?
What does the X-rune of Goodgulf refer to - piracy, or illiteracy?

Anyway, I'm culturally too far away from the authors to get most of the jokes here, and to judge if they are any good. Your present disappointment with them comforts me.

"I does ask. And if that isn't nice enough, I begs" - Sam

diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2008, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 22 (1482 views)
Shortcut
I have a question about these books... [In reply to] Can't Post

When were they first published?

I just discovered the Signet Canadian edition in a second-hand book shop. The copyright is for 1969 and it reads: "First printing, March, 1971".

Would anyone know if this is the 1st Canadian edition of BOTR?

(Yes, I am getting the jokes and find some of them funny and some of them disturbing, but I take it all in stride, mainly because I know that this was thought up in the hippie sixties. There was sex, drugs, rock and roll, and racism still going strong in many parts of the U.S., if not the world. This may be a crazy parody, but the authors aren't stupid and I doubt they would flaunt their ignorance this blatantly... besides, this is Harvard's Lampoon, for crying out loud... they're known for pushing buttons. My only complaint is that I need a dictionary to explain more than half the words that are printed in this thing! Blush)

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 1:54am

Post #4 of 22 (1475 views)
Shortcut
I give: what *is* the joke about vestigial tails? [In reply to] Can't Post

Vestigial being something that is a remnant of something no longer needed, as some human babies are born with vestigial tails. If all boggies have vestigial tails it must mean they are all not very far developed from a more primitive boggie-ancestor that once had real (useful) tails.

It's a joke that they're all developmentally delayed? eewww. I find that distasteful but consider the source of the story!! LOL.

But I might be missing the joke entirely. I have tried to miss the entire BOTR, but you keep bringing it back up!!

Laugh

G. What is Dildo planning to do? Is this funny?

Well may we ask if any of this is funny. Did we think it was funny in 1970? Or only when we were under the influence of pipeweed?

Cool

D is planning to blow up all the boggies with that Army Surplus ammunition he has acquired, including those howitzers and grenades masquerading as fireworks. Nasty Bugger.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 3:19am

Post #5 of 22 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Shute, I thought you'd never ask [In reply to] Can't Post

C. For many years I took the vestigial tails joke as you did – turning boggies into “throw-backs” or developmentally delayed humans. And once again they are portrayed as small unattractive animals. Yuk yuk.

Then one day I suddenly made a connection to another book I know well (and read every couple of years, much like I read LotR): The Chequer Board (1947), by Nevil Shute, a literary contemporary of Tolkien’s. Without getting into the entire plot, I’ll give here the relevant passage. It is during World War II in England, and the U.S. Army is building airbases all over the country. Shute spins a tale about the collision between the tolerant mores of English village life and American racial politics in the grim years of Jim Crow. His setting is Trenarth, a small (fictional but accurately portrayed) village in Cornwall, and here is how he opens this part of the story.

Trenarth is a little place on the railway, at the junction of the main line and the North Coast line. It is a place of about a thousand inhabitants, with a small market square, a church built in the year 1356, and a public house. The construction companies were all Negro except for a few white technicians; the impact of fifteen hundred coloured soldiers on this little place was considerable.

There were some misunderstandings to be cleared up when they first arrived. A party of white American surveyors from the Eighth Air Force had come first to pick the site and mark it out, and they had told the village about the blacks who would arrive in a few days. They said that the Negro soldiers who were coming were rather primitive, and that the villagers would have to be both careful and tolerant. They said the Negroes could speak little English and did not understand the use of lavatories. When they were hungry, they would bark like a dog, and they had small, rudimentary tails concealed within their trousers, which made it difficult for them to sit down. Having drunk their beer and marked the site and had their fun with perfectly straight faces, the surveyors went away, and left the village in perplexity.

Old Mr Marston, the gardener at the vicarage, raised the matter in the White Hart one night. "I asked Mr Kendall if it's true what they were saying about these black soldiers that are coming," he said. "About them barking when they want their victuals. He says it's all just a story they were telling us, to get a rise out of us."

"Aye, that's right," said Mr Frobisher, the landlord of the pub. "They was just pulling our legs. Negroes don't have tails, not any that I heard of."

A mournful little man who worked as a porter at the station said, "Well, I don't think they was pulling our legs at all. Very nice and straight they spoke to me, they did. That corporal, he said this lot come straight from Africa. Africans, they are-that's why they can't speak English. There's rum things happen in Africa, believe me."

The consensus of opinion was that the stories were improbable, but that it would be prudent to maintain a strict reserve when the visitors arrived.

The story reached the Negro soldiers very quickly. In the March dusk, after their evening meal in the rough camp they were making on the bleak hilltop, a few coloured men walked down into the village. They came in a little party, smiling broadly. As they passed each villager they gave a realistic imitation of a pack of hungry dogs. They thought it was a great joke, and barked at everybody, in tones varying from Pekinese to bloodhound. By the time they reached the White Hart, the village had come to its senses; in the bar they were accepted as interesting strangers to whom was owed some sort of apology.

Shute is a hopeless romantic under his realistic engineer’s facade, which is why I love him, but he also always knows his social history. From this good-natured and comic story I took away a subtext I’d never heard elsewhere. Clearly, this idea of African-Americans as animalic primitives with “vestigial tails” was a common joke among white Americans in the 1940s and who knows how much more recently. Certainly recently enough that the 1969 Bored of the Rings joke we are discussing took on a second meaning for me. It now draws from me at least a much thinner smile than do most of the racial, ethnic, and otherwise tasteless but funny gags in the book.

I don’t know. I may be overreacting, given my long love for the work overall. Perhaps I am just jealous at finally discovering a “joke” I had not known was there for so long.

G. Yes, Dildo’s “fireworks” shipment is actually lethal ordnance, with a smirking implication of a planned mass slaughter of his spiteful neighbors and life-long enemies to mark his departure. The “Amy Surplus” groaner aside, I find this part of the parody perfectly in keeping with its parallel section in Tolkien. There is this subtext in the “Long-Expected Party” chapter – brought out most clearly in the part where the dragon firework terrifies all the hobbit guests before exploding over the entire Shire – and only the announcement of “dinner!” calms their nerves and soothes their fears. Bilbo’s sublimated resentment of the Shirefolk also surfaces in the “complicated compliment” of his speech; and as Gandalf says after the actual “surprise” at the Party, “You have … alarmed or offended most of your relations”. The reason Bored of the Rings works as often as it does, so long after its vocabulary and tone have begun to turn brittle with age, is because the authors really do deconstruct so well whatever is present by absence in The Lord of the Rings.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 3:37am

Post #6 of 22 (1473 views)
Shortcut
has it occurred to you that you may be the world's expert on BOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously.

I'll bet no one else has made the connection between Shute and BOTR. You thinking of publishing? Wink

I've never read any Shute except "A Town Called Alice" (and I had to look up Shute to even remember he was the author of that book). Now I must see what my library has.

Anything to take my mind off BOTR!!

Laugh

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 3:55am

Post #7 of 22 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, in a previous discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never read any Shute except "A Town Called Alice" (and I had to look up Shute to even remember he was the author of that book). Now I must see what my library has.

...of Shute you indicated that you'd read his On the Beach. And that your library held, in addition to Alice, two more Shutes.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 14-20 for "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 4:18am

Post #8 of 22 (1502 views)
Shortcut
curses, hoist with my own petard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shoot. I am messing up re: Shute tonight.

I read Alice after that previous thread where Annael and squire recommended books by Shute, but had forgotten who wrote it. I didn't remember it was a Shute book until I looked up Chequer Board and it referenced Alice. I have a short memory for authors I'm not familiar with.

I read On the Beach many years ago and also forgot that was a Shute.

Shute is going down the chute, in my mind, isn't he?

Are you checking up behind me, NEB? Or do you secretly work at my library? Or perhaps you have hacked into their computers, and if so, could you override the block on my renewal request for Edgar Sawtelle?

LOL

a.s.

"an seileachan"

(This post was edited by a.s. on Jul 19 2008, 4:23am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 4:51am

Post #9 of 22 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Not checking up. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just remembered that squire had previously discussed his fondness for Shute, used the search function to look for posts where he'd recommended other titles, and noticed that in one case he'd been responding to you.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 14-20 for "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 1:58pm

Post #10 of 22 (1480 views)
Shortcut
I know, I was just teasing [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice this week my failing memory has bit me in the, um, posterior portion of my self. I have to laugh about it, or I'll start looking for nursing homes with Alzheimer's wings.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2008, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 22 (1472 views)
Shortcut
So that's where it most likely came from! [In reply to] Can't Post

My own impression had been of a more barnyard-nature: piglets, when feeding, wiggle their curled tails. So I thought the reference strengthened the relationship between Boggies and pigs.

But coming out of that time-period, especially the racially-charged sixties, the authors would have been quite knowledgeable about such things. Wasn't Shute well-read then? I seem to recall that On the Beach was very popular.

But if that was indeed the source, then I think it more likely that they're making fun of those who promoted the "vestigial tail" idea, rather than furthering its usage in a racial sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2008, 5:42pm

Post #12 of 22 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Good question about [In reply to] Can't Post

the Canadian publication. My copy is a Signet American edition, Fourth Printing, and states "First Printing September 1969".

If there's nothing on the verso about any other printings, then you can assume you've got a First Edition Canadian!

For what it's worth...Crazy Tongue

Well, who knows, though...you never know what's going to become a collector's item!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2008, 5:51pm

Post #13 of 22 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Mewlips [In reply to] Can't Post

My copy of "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" was printed in 1966, so yes, in all likelihood the authors had read that! And possibly used "mewling" as a parody on "mewlips". Considering that a lot of us Tolkien-geeks of that time period had read as much of Tolkien's works as we could lay our grubby hands on, probably more people than you'd think would have picked up on the connection.

The X-rune refers to illiteracy: we have the highly-educated Gandalf being parodied by the highly-uneducated shyster Goodgulf.

And your point is precisely why we present these snippets from BotR on occasion: to bring young TORnfolk like you "closer" to the grand "culture" of those heady days when the hippies were going bonkers over LotR, so you can truly depreciate appreciate them.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 22 (1456 views)
Shortcut
I struck me... [In reply to] Can't Post

that this "vestigial tail" idea is most likely linked to the popular reaction to the theory of evolution, which was understood in simplistic terms to mean that we humans were directly descended from monkeys or apes - it sort of became a running joke at one time to accuse people you didn't like (or wanted to make fun of) of being a few generations closer to our "monkey ancestors" that you were yourself - this sort of thing...

I doubt whether BotR is directly referencing the Shute story - more likely they are both referencing the same popular culture motif independently.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2008, 6:07pm

Post #15 of 22 (1496 views)
Shortcut
What we have here [In reply to] Can't Post

is a jab at the well-fed nature of Hobbits. Certainly if any of us ate as often and as heartily as they, we too would find ourselves unable to trundle around! But it also recalls to mind Glóin's description to Frodo of Bombur: he was so heavy that it took several younger Dwarves to carry him around.

Ah, yes, the G-rune of Gandalf and the X-rune of Goodgulf! Along with the "elvish brand names", rather than "Dale". Nice touch, those.

"Amy Surplus" is a groaner - but it took me a few re-reads to figure out, as I had not known of the existence of army surplus stores until much later. But think about it: our fireworks are meant to be representative of certain warfare items. Tolkien did have that mean bit of humor there, with the "attacking" dragon, leading to the call for dinner - Hobbit-style eucatastrophe, anyone? - and the writers picked right up on that.

Everything about Dildo is tasteless, so of course his furniture matches. It's also another sign of those times, like the "modern" moulded plastic chairs and the avocado color for kitchen appliances.

(By the way, did you get it yet? Is it secret? Is it safe? Angelic)

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2008, 1:44pm

Post #16 of 22 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Tastelessness as an aesthetic statement [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only is Dildo's furniture appropriately tasteless, it is specifically "elvish-modern". This picks up on the running gag throughout the book that 'Elvish' can stand for 'homosexual'. The connection is established in the Prologue - Concerning Boggies where the Naugahyde breed of boggie is described thusly:

who were taller and wispier than the other boggies and who lived in the forests, where they maintained a thriving trade in leather goods, sandals, and handicrafts. They did periodic interior-decorating work for the elves, but spent most of their time singing lurid folk songs and accosting squirrels.

We don't see this so much in Riv 'n' Dell or Lornadoon, which have other joke-rows to hoe. But we do see it with Legolam. To be discussed further if this incredible dog sells.

Speaking of which, yes the beagle has landed. As promised, it does like to go for long walks, for which it came suitably equipped. Thank you very much!

squire online:

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2008, 1:50pm

Post #17 of 22 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Piggie-tails also a good image [In reply to] Can't Post

Like FarFromHome, I don't think the BotR authors were specifically drawing on the Shute story I found. I just meant that as a demonstration of how in a not-so-distant time the idea of "vestigial tails" was commonly and cruelly used to characterize "lower forms" of humans.

It is a broad concept. I think your piggie-tails image is also good, although in the context of BotR, the pig image is richly mixed up between the gluttonous boggies, and the hideous steeds of the Black Riders, and even the Riders themselves at Whee.

squire online:

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 20 2008, 4:59pm

Post #18 of 22 (1473 views)
Shortcut
"Monkey" and "ape" [In reply to] Can't Post

are often interpreted as racist, and just as often the people using the term deny that they meant it in a racist manner. Howard Cosell had to defend himself on that, as I recall, after describing an African-American receiver as a monkey. And some people interpret Tolkien's comparison of Uruks to apes as a racist description -- although I believe squire has speculated that the orc "maggots" from the Misty Mountains may well be pale and white.

At any rate, I think the "vestigial tail" falls into a similar category as "ape" or "monkey." I can imagine the terms used in a non-racist context, but if you don't want to offend anyone (something the authors of BotR did not worry about, I judge) I would stay away from all three. On the other hand the boggies are more often compared to pigs than to apes or monkeys, so I wonder if this is just another pig comparison which has nothing to do with primates, evolution, or racism.

(This post was edited by Curious on Jul 20 2008, 5:01pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 20 2008, 5:39pm

Post #19 of 22 (1448 views)
Shortcut
It was the "vestigial" [In reply to] Can't Post

that made me think of evolution. I wondered if the idea that we have a "vestigial tail" (which of course we all do) was one of those memes that just percolated for a while as people were processing the concept of evolution and applying it in all the non-scientific ways that popular culture tends to do. So just as you'd see cartoons of an ape following a primitive man following an upright man, following whoever you were trying to put down (I remember seeing one in the 60s of Nixon in the lead spot, with his knuckles brushing the ground, but I couldn't find it online), so the idea that our "vestigial tail" might actually be visible in some people could make it a handy little insult.

I certainly agree that this whole thing can be used as a racial insult, but I've certainly seen cartoons (such as the Nixon one) where the insult isn't based on race, but on some other perceived primitive attributes. I don't know whether that makes sense for the boggies, because I've never read BotR, so it's just a thought. Perhaps your pig connection makes more sense - except that it would be a stretch to say that pigs' tails are "vestigial" - they're pretty standard tails, as far as I know!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2008, 6:34pm

Post #20 of 22 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, the "fey" Elves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien would be horrified at the implication!

Good to see that the puppy is adapting well to its new home - hopefully I didn't "unleash" too great a burden on you Tongue. Just remember, if you actually begin reading it, that this dog is a real page-turner: you're going to want to get to the end as quickly as possible...

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 22 2008, 11:25pm

Post #21 of 22 (1471 views)
Shortcut
Regarding mewling.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mewling is an actual word, and it means to cry weakly or to whimper. Therefore, the boggies were childishly whining in impatience for a better view of the ordnance. Of course, the vestigial tail wagging could refer to a reproductive apparatus, given it follows a reference to Dildo himself....ummm...or not, and could merely be indeed a vestigial tail -- a left over appendage from the Boggies' prehensile ancestors.

THE EARL OF SANDWICH: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"
JOHN WILKES: That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
John Wilkes (1727-1797)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2008, 11:30am

Post #22 of 22 (1475 views)
Shortcut
omg... SIT! HEEL! for Pete's sake... STAY! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't there an ordinance of some sort against dangerous animals in pupulated areas?

*hides faces for stifled snigger* I assume it's not house broken yet.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.