Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite Tolkien Book
Poll: Favorite Tolkien Book
The Hobbit (1937) 4 / 7%
The Lord of the Rings (1954-5) 34 / 63%
The Silmarillion (1977) 9 / 17%
Unfinished Tales (1980) 0 / 0%
The History of Middle-earth (1983-96) 0 / 0%
Children of Hurin (2007) 2 / 4%
Other? 0 / 0%
No particular favorite/multiple favorites 5 / 9%
54 total votes

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2008, 8:20am

Post #1 of 21 (554 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Tolkien Book Can't Post

Well, I searched manually back to last year, and I used the search option as well, and since I saw nothing in the Pollantir, I thought I'd ask the question!

What is your favorite (Middle-earth related) Tolkien book? Lord of the Rings is considered one book since Tolkien considered it so. I also added those published post-humorously, and put the HoMe books in one bunch. Sorry if any of the dates are wrong!

leo
Rohan

Jul 15 2008, 9:58am

Post #2 of 21 (314 views)
Shortcut
For argument's sake, I'm going to go with... [In reply to] Can't Post

... The Silmarillion!

LOTR is probably the best 'book', but what I really like about the Silmarillion is that it leaves a lot to the imagination. LOTR really doesn't... Everything, everyone and every event is pretty much described in great detail. Nice, but occasionally I like to dream a bit...

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2008, 3:44pm

Post #3 of 21 (251 views)
Shortcut
Multiple favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2008, 5:06pm

Post #4 of 21 (258 views)
Shortcut
Multiple favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion and LotR. It's usually LotR, but often I get to the point, when listening to Martin Shaw's narrative of the Drowning of Numenor when he reads about everything going down into the abyss, and when he reads about the mariners who are rumored to glimpse Tol Eressea just before they die--well, I think it may be the Sil. So I have to go with both.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2008, 5:52pm

Post #5 of 21 (256 views)
Shortcut
LoTR and The Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I love the equally. (This is what I tell Neil when he asks me who I love more out of him and my cats. In that case, it's quite clearly a lie, the cats come first) ahem, but back to the question! I have read LoTR more times than I can remember, and it never gets boring. It always gives me the same sense of wonder. And, having just re-read The Silmarillion, for perhaps the third time, I can finally say I understand it! Having read it before at a young age, I found it quite tough at times, but I'm so glad I persevered, it's been well worth it. It covers such a vast period of time, and the details are wonderful. Some of the writing is absolutely beautiful, the descriptions of various places can create such clear mental images!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 15 2008, 6:38pm

Post #6 of 21 (234 views)
Shortcut
I had to pick LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

because that is what started it all for me. The Sil would have to be a close second because it explained all that extra stuff in LOTR that I was wondering about. With a helping of Unfinished Tales.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2008, 12:20am

Post #7 of 21 (207 views)
Shortcut
I would have to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have enjoyed all he wrote, but my favorite is LOTR.

Woodyend
Gondor

Jul 16 2008, 1:09am

Post #8 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

With Fellowship being my favorite of the three.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 16 2008, 4:31pm

Post #9 of 21 (233 views)
Shortcut
Where's "Smith of Wootton Major"? [In reply to] Can't Post

You've limited the options to the Middle-earth books (for which you list all the dates correctly, by the way). But some people might name Smith or Farmer Giles of Ham as a favorite.

The Lord of the Rings is my favorite, with Smith and The Hobbit tied for second.

It may be worth emphasizing that Tolkien saw nine books (I think) through to publication in his lifetime: A Middle English Vocabulary (1922), Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1925), The Hobbit (1937), Farmer Giles of Ham (1949), The Lord of the Rings (1954-55), Ancrene Wisse (1962), The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (1962), Tree and Leaf (1964), The Road Goes Ever On (1966), and Smith of Wootton Major (1967). But three of these are academic works, two of them are long short stories, one is a poetry collection, one a reprinting of two shorter works, and one just a pamphlet accompanying a recording.

The other titles you mention --The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-earth collection, and The Children of Húrin-- are posthumously-edited from manuscripts that Tolkien left in various states of disarray. Charles Noad has argued (in his essay in the 2000 collection, Tolkien's Legendarium) that Tolkien intended The Silmarillion to be a much larger work than what appeared in 1977, including full length versions of the story of Beren and Lúthien, Túrin and Glaurung, Tuor and Gondolin, and Eärendil's voyages, plus the condensed "Quenta Silmarillion" version of First Age events, plus more besides. But Tolkien never finished any of it.

bearwen
Lorien

Jul 25 2008, 6:30pm

Post #10 of 21 (176 views)
Shortcut
LotR for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

A clear winner as long as it has all it's appendixes, which I love and I also love the Unfinished Tales and some of the stories in The Sil, but everything else comes a close second!

Hobbiton
Rivendell

Jul 28 2008, 2:03am

Post #11 of 21 (180 views)
Shortcut
The greatest story ever told [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Aug 5 2008, 10:05pm

Post #12 of 21 (214 views)
Shortcut
Children of Hurin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh come on, am I the ONLY one who voted for that one??? No way! It's awesome! Second would be Silmarillion, third would be LOTR, and fourth would be The Hobbit. I haven't read enough of any others to pass judgement. CoH rocketh my sockeths!

calisuri
PTB

Aug 6 2008, 1:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
Great Poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just added it to the homepage for additional votes.

Thanks!

Elros
Rivendell

Aug 12 2008, 6:47am

Post #14 of 21 (142 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the only one I've read so far! I imagine the Sil would give it a run for its money if I ever get around to reading though.

DDDTrooper

Aug 12 2008, 2:04pm

Post #15 of 21 (161 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to say The Lord of the Rings.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2008, 1:12am

Post #16 of 21 (230 views)
Shortcut
When did Tolkien stop making jokes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I couldn't resist responding to your lovely little slip (I assume) of "post-humorously" :-)

I voted for LOTR. It's the one I re-read most frequently.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 13 2008, 3:31am

Post #17 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me [In reply to] Can't Post

of a new reporter at a citizen's awards ceremony who asked to speak to a particular recipient "because he's the only one getting a posthumous award".

I hope they broke the news to him gently. Wink

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2008, 3:43am

Post #18 of 21 (232 views)
Shortcut
"Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated" [In reply to] Can't Post

How mortifying!

And yes, that *was* a deliberate pun :-)

Elemmírë

Aug 26 2008, 7:26pm

Post #19 of 21 (155 views)
Shortcut
Eep! hard choice but... [In reply to] Can't Post

for me... I guess it's The Silmarillion. It's so multi faceted and complex that it's easy to get lost in it. And I don't mean "lost" in a bad way, escapism into Tolkien's world is my favorite past time! Each time I read The Sil I feel like I unearth a new treasure or understand something I hadn't before in a new light (and insights not necessarily restricted to the stories in The Sil themselves) and that's a nice feeling.

Though, if I had to answer this question after just the first time I read the book, I probably would have chosen LotR, it definitely needs to be reread to be fully appreciated.

Vangalad
Lorien

May 3 2009, 11:29pm

Post #20 of 21 (77 views)
Shortcut
My first... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien experience was when i read the fellowship of the ring and from then i am stucked on the realm of middle-earth! So i can say that my favourite Tolkien book is The Lord of the Rings ...but i believe his greatest work is the Silmarillion.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 3 2009, 11:49pm

Post #21 of 21 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yes LOTR's [In reply to] Can't Post

is my favorite Tolkien work; specifically The Fellowship of the Ring. Though The Silmarillion is a fantastic read{of which I am doing this weekCool}

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.