Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Rabbit versus tortoise.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 22 2007, 1:21pm

Post #1 of 10 (237 views)
Shortcut
Rabbit versus tortoise. Can't Post

Debuting this weekend is New Line's "The Last Mimsy", based on the charming scifi short story "Mimsy were the Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett (pseudonym for Henry Kuttner & C. L. Moore ). The score is by Howard Shore. The film is directed by Robert Shaye. (Yep, *the* Robert Shaye.)

One of New Line's previous franchises was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle films. Shaye felt the series had outlived its appeal and dumped the rights. The rights were picked up by Warner Brothers. The resultant film "TMNT" is also debuting this weekend.

Word in Hollywood is that TMNT will mop the floor with The Last Mimsy.

So, which film will you be going to this weekend?

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2007, 1:34pm

Post #2 of 10 (178 views)
Shortcut
TMNT looks kickin' [In reply to] Can't Post

My kids were big Turtle fans and they're old enough to get nostalgic. I might try to catch this in second release. Few films warrant full price in my world.

I'm curious about Last Mimzy... for Howard's score if nothing else (and wouldn't this refute the contention that Howard and Shaye wouldn't work together?) I've heard one early score review from a big Shore LOTR fan (Michael and I met in the heydey of the LOTR soundtrack) that doesn't rate this one very highly. He commented at moviemusic, "Frankly, I was kind in summation. There are stirring moments, but on balance this sounds very uninspired for Shore. I recommend seeking out excellent older scores like THE YARDS or NOBODY'S FOOL over investing in this one. Light fantasy scores are frequent in this industry, and this is far from the best of them."

But, this would definitely be a second run, dvd viewing. The film as a whole doesn't grab me. In fact, w/o Shore's involvement it would probably have flown right under my radar.

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 22 2007, 2:01pm

Post #3 of 10 (155 views)
Shortcut
The geek thing [In reply to] Can't Post

surrounding Turtles seems pretty big. My Bloke and all his workmates are really looking forward to it. But then they are geek central :p

I never had more than a passing interest in TMNT the first time round and have no plans to go see it when it comes out here.

As for the other film, I know nothing about it apart from what you've written. I'll dig up some info on it, but doubt I'd bother with it. Shore doing the score or someone else from the Rings films (or a connection with) having a hand in a project is never a sure fire thing to get me buying a ticket.

I used to watch masses of films at the cinema and on video (it was a few years ago after all :p ) but in more recent years I've become far pickier over what I view and when.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 3:12pm

Post #4 of 10 (142 views)
Shortcut
Ugh, neither [In reply to] Can't Post

Both have had no appeal to me. I still need to see '300' though.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 3:32pm

Post #5 of 10 (143 views)
Shortcut
I'll be going to see 300 [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1990. The directed by Robert Shaye is rather worrying, I thought he was a businessman? No... Apparently he has directed 3 films previously my checking shows me... In 1963, 1965 and 1990. Yeah, ok...

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 22 2007, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 10 (176 views)
Shortcut
The Last Mimzy intrigues me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read the story, though I never imagined it could inspire a screenplay. I'll probably see it eventually, though I've had no luck convincing any of my usual movie buddies to go with me. It has hardly been advertised, so of course TMNT will win out. In fact, I'll probably watch TMNT this weekend. And I'll definitely be seeing Reign Over Me this weekend.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on Mar 22 2007, 4:36pm)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2007, 5:36pm

Post #7 of 10 (141 views)
Shortcut
The rabbit, but not that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'd like to go see Miss Potter. I loved her books way back when, even the one that scared me to bits. That would be The Roly Poly Pudding, where a kitten - or was it a baby bunny? - gets lost in the walls of a house. Some rats capture it, wrap it in dough, and plan to eat it. They just don't make them like that anymore.

The other two movies just don't grab me.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but my TX went off into the Blue to have mad adventures.

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Mar 23 2007, 5:29am

Post #8 of 10 (111 views)
Shortcut
300's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially liked the cinematography, great use of light and atmosphere. The human sized visuals weren't bad either, I mean, wat's not to love about 300 buff men in, well, not much at all. You'll like the queen, I think.Wink In fact, much as I drool over Gerard, she's my favorite character in the movie.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Patty
Immortal

Mar 23 2007, 6:34am

Post #9 of 10 (157 views)
Shortcut
My son is a major TMNT fan, but a "closet" one... [In reply to] Can't Post

He refuses to see it in the theaters cause he thinks that, at nearly 25, he should not be going to see this. He plans to just buy the DVD and watch it at home. I've tried to convince him he should see what he jolly well likes, but to no avail. His real love is for the animated series, though.

After having viewed "Monster House" in 3D, I'm really waiting to take the GrandPattys to see 3D Robinsons. We'll probably get around to Mimsy, too.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 23 2007, 2:09pm

Post #10 of 10 (109 views)
Shortcut
My 20 year old is going to Turtles tonight... [In reply to] Can't Post

and he takes pride in the movies he watches being 'film'... not 'movies'. lol

He's already seen 300 since he'll watch a movie on opening night and I rarely pay full price. But tonight I need to get out and hubby and I and oldest (23) son will probably go see 300.

I'll ask my son what age people are at the Turtles show tonight. Perhaps we can put your son's mind at ease about indulging in nostalgia.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.