Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The builder looked at me really wierd

paleostone
Bree

Mar 22 2007, 1:17am

Post #1 of 12 (188 views)
Shortcut
The builder looked at me really wierd Can't Post

Just had the final walkthrough on my new "modern Hobbit House" and we were talking about the finial grading. I told the builder about my Hobbit house mound in the back yard and the look he gave me was priceless. This from a builder that did a Narnia house. I have an acre and a third. I just want a long low berm about 5-6 feet high and about 15 feet long. I'll put a fake Hobbit front on it and then use it as a backdrop for my perennial garden. He said "We'll try and schedule the grading when you can be here"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22 2007, 2:06am

Post #2 of 12 (88 views)
Shortcut
LOL! And at least [In reply to] Can't Post

he's willing to do it for you. Be glad he's insisting that you be there to get it done right! Smile

So...how's the rest of it now? All done? And is it all what you had imagined it would be? What does your daughter think of it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 22 2007, 2:17am

Post #3 of 12 (83 views)
Shortcut
We planned something similar [In reply to] Can't Post

...but still haven't gotten around to it yet.
There's a long driveway with a drop-off on the other side of the shrubs,
and a perrenial garden at the bottom now, but Dad was supposed
to help make the mini hobbit hole...

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 22 2007, 2:28am

Post #4 of 12 (86 views)
Shortcut
Haw! I can see it now, sorta droopy. [In reply to] Can't Post

His expression, not the hobbit mound. This a great idea by the way. Once everything is grown in it'll look really neat.
By the way i 2nd that inquiry. It seems my desire to satisfy inquisitiveness has been growing too. So.... please give us the scoop man!

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

paleostone
Bree

Mar 22 2007, 2:53am

Post #5 of 12 (100 views)
Shortcut
The house [In reply to] Can't Post

we are done!!!! and I love it. The slate floor is beautiful and I have great pitcures but am trying to learn how to give access to people. I'll post some pitcures. I am operating on a 5 year old IBook and the cd rom is broke and can't load the driver for my camera, and I'm locked out of adding programs at work. I'm getting there though. Oh, back to the house. The bamboo floor is beautiful; My artist nephew did a cloudy summer day int he master bath and the living room has a dark olive grean base with burgandy and metalic copper faux painting over that. The counters are granite (Uba Tuba) in a basket weave pattern with black granite as the inset piece. We had to hire a tile guy to cut all the little pieces to do it. The appliances are black and even with the dark counters, black sink and dark slate the room is bright and airy. Kinda outdoorsy. We are supposed to close any day but we are waiting for the finial paperwrok on the house I am moving out of. Hope to move within the week.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 22 2007, 4:14am

Post #6 of 12 (73 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, you're giving me ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

about adding Elvenesque features to the trellis archway in my garden...

*puts on thinking cap*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Mar 22 2007, 6:26am

Post #7 of 12 (58 views)
Shortcut
May you always be very happy there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

Elven
Valinor

Mar 22 2007, 5:55pm

Post #8 of 12 (46 views)
Shortcut
That might be a bit ifffy .... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
about adding Elvenesque features to the trellis archway in my garden...

*puts on thinking cap*

Shocked I might look ok standing on one leg with a jug pouring water into a fountain ... but Im not sure about the trellis ... I think my arms would collapse after about a week Crazy Sly Wink

Heart

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 22 2007, 9:19pm

Post #9 of 12 (30 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would feed you! Honest!

Angelic

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 9:42pm

Post #10 of 12 (31 views)
Shortcut
weird builder...but at least you can get what you want when you are there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Mar 23 2007, 5:21am

Post #11 of 12 (16 views)
Shortcut
The house sounds wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for the pics, especially the bamboo floor.
I've got uba-tuba on my counters as well, but in long slabs. The basket weave pattern sounds great.
Good luck with the move.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 23 2007, 6:26pm

Post #12 of 12 (29 views)
Shortcut
The bamboo flooring [In reply to] Can't Post

mystifies me. I cannot picture it. I can't wait to see the pictures paleo. It must feel satisfing to see it finished.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.